Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Big Dave

I need a new TV

Our TV is just about to give up the ghost, so we are looking for a new TV with a separate sound bar.  We currently have a Sony and it has been great.

We are looking for a 55" TV, and can pay up to about £800.

Not too concerned about brand, but want one of the established brands such as Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG.

There are a huge number out there and not really sure where to start.  I would usually go into a couple of store for some advice, but obviously cant at the moment.

Not really sure about all the differences, such as OLED, QLED, etc etc, and not sure what I would need.

We are not TV aficionados.  We generally watch Netflix, Prime and Sky HD.

For the sound bar, would prefer the same brand as the TV, and happy to pay up to £300.  Ideally want a stand-alone sound bar (not with a separate sub-woofer).

Anyone who knows more than I do can give any brief advice?  What to go for, what to avoid (and why).

Cheers

We bought a 65” Samsung 7 series last year for about £700. I’ve had Sony Bravia and LG smart TVs previously and this Samsung seems to have the most responsive and intuitive Smart interface. 

I’m no TV expert but I’d go Samsung every day of the week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

This thread made me curious about my Samsung TV, just had a look and it's almost 10 years old now, I've definitely had my moneys worth.

Yeah, I reckon my Samsung smart TV is 5/6 years old now. Still absolutely perfect. It needed an addition of a sound bar. But been well-worth the 500 or so quid I guess i paid for it (i guess it was that as I can't imagine me ever forking out more for a telly)

Don’t get too caught up in ‘brands’

Loads of them haven’t made a telly in ages…. Toshiba for example

Hisense is becoming an established brand and apparently do cracking sets

consider Costco as they do a 2 year warranty…. You’ll get a 55” for way less than your budget and your knocking on the door of OLED with your budget

spend your spare money on a proper sound bar the sky one is amazing made by Diavelet…. It’s a fantastic soundbox…The way a film sounds is just as important as the way it looks in my book

I got mine from here and it’s amazing 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154121022690

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

consider Costco as they do a 2 year warranty…. You’ll get a 55” for way less than your budget and your knocking on the door of OLED with your budget

spend your spare money on a proper sound bar the sky one is amazing made by Diavelet…. It’s a fantastic soundbox…The way a film sounds is just as important as the way it looks in my book

Richer Sound do a 6 year warranty.

We always go for Sony or Panasonic. My family would laugh at me spending 'More than you need to' but we've had just 3 TV's in 41 years. They on the other hand, have had more than twice as many over that period, probably spent more than me and none of them compared in picture quality with ours.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

I was going to suggest Costco above the likes of Curry's etc. I had an LG 55" curved Oled from them about 4 years ago. Fully interactive and Wi-Fi equipped. Cheaper than the mainstream dealers as well. 

We have a Denon sound bar  which is excellent but it has separate sub-woofer linked by Bluetooth which you say you don't want but I don't think sound bars have big enough speakers to produce the bass rumble especially when watching films.

6 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I was going to suggest Costco above the likes of Curry's etc. I had an LG 55" curved Oled from them about 4 years ago. Fully interactive and Wi-Fi equipped. Cheaper than the mainstream dealers as well. 

We have a Denon sound bar  which is excellent but it has separate sub-woofer linked by Bluetooth which you say you don't want but I don't think sound bars have big enough speakers to produce the bass rumble especially when watching films.

The soundbox I suggested above has a very good bass rumble…. Remarkable considering the size (not small but not sub sized)

costco are generally excellent price / service / warranty 

I'd had a 50 inch LG plasma for about 10 years and then upgraded to an OLED 55 inch in the black Friday deals. The difference is day and night, never spent this much on a TV but so glad I did... 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-oled55bx6lb-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-oled-tv-with-google-assistant-amazon-alexa-10212942-pdt.html

Was going to get a soundbar as well, but the sound quality from the TV is excellent, far better than I thought possible from the small inbuilt speakers. They fire downwards and we've got it mounted fairly high up on the wall, so not sure if that helps but the sound is Susan. 

I'm a bit disappointed with my LG, the smart part of it anyway. The TV guide and list feature take ages to load. The Internet channels only seem to last 10 minutes before they run out of memory and have to restart. It's the first smart TV I've had, maybe they're all like that :dunno:

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I'm a bit disappointed with my LG, the smart part of it anyway. The TV guide and list feature take ages to load. The Internet channels only seem to last 10 minutes before they run out of memory and have to restart. It's the first smart TV I've had, maybe they're all like that :dunno:

They're a bit of a lottery in my experience, in terms of access to apps and functionality.

I bought my parents a Panasonic a couple of years ago, and the interface was surprisingly clunky and the Amazon Prime app just doesn't work, meaning we had to give them a spare Firestick to enjoy the Prime subscription we bought them for Christmas.

My Samsung is a year too old to access Disney +, and there's no UKTV app on there either, less of a problem now Channel 4 have bought the rights to Taskmaster.

I expect the operation gets a bit slicker and faster on the more expensive models, but I begrudge spending loads on tellies as they go out of date so quickly. Mind you, I think like with phones the technology has progressed so quickly manufacturers are running out of ideas

• Like 1