Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Blue ROI

World Cup 2022 Qualifiers

I'm with Ronaldo on this one, ball obviously went over the line. Do they not have goal line technology in the qualifiers or something? The rebound chance should have been scored to remove all doubt though, bit of a sitter.

On 29/03/2021 at 08:15, Nalis said:

I'm with Ronaldo on this one, ball obviously went over the line. Do they not have goal line technology in the qualifiers or something? The rebound chance should have been scored to remove all doubt though, bit of a sitter.

Seems not as there was a Dutch goal v Turkey which was close to going over .

Maybe UEFA are thinking not all counties have it so let’s not use the system at all.

12 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Our old nemesis Sutton has a point here.

The journalist does have a point too- Unpopular Opinion alert- in that O'Neill focuses too much on the past.

O'Neill, rightly, will always have a lot of people backing him, he was hugely popular at three or four clubs, but he does sound a bit dated now.

The current manager really does have a limited squad to choose from.

24 minutes ago, Corky said:

The journalist does have a point too- Unpopular Opinion alert- in that O'Neill focuses too much on the past.

O'Neill, rightly, will always have a lot of people backing him, he was hugely popular at three or four clubs, but he does sound a bit dated now.

The current manager really does have a limited squad to choose from.

There's a point to be made about MON's style that much is true but Kenny has had a lot of apologists in the media that threw O Neill under a bus.

Ken Early is one example.

O Neill for all his flaws got us to 1 playoff and 1 major tournament. 

There has been plenty of decent articles the last few days about our structure and lack of top class Premier league players but those articles were rather thin on the ground in November 2017.

We were duped by that great snake oil salesman - "playing good football". Now that that hasn't worked out some demanding for MON to be replaced have changed their tune.

I do agree that we have been at a low ebb and have been since 2012 but you play the hand you are dealt with. O Neill did that and got hounded. 

FWIW it was good for all parties that O Neill went as he was done for after the Denmark playoff but anyone who called for his sacking have turned the other cheek with Kenny.

Edited by Blue ROI

10 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Decent 11-0 win for us(Canada) vs the Caymen Islands tonight.

Canada has a tough route to qualification. They very well might have a must win (or draw) game  against Suriname (141) in June, and then a two leg tie against either Nicarauga (149) or Haiti (84). Then after all that they basically have to finish third place or better amongst - Mexico (9), USA (22), Jamaica (47), Costa Rica (50), Honduras (64), and then two of the other 2nd round winners. 

CONCACAF is getting tougher and tougher. Jamaica is joining the US in the dual national recruitment arms race and has convinced a ton of British born players that play in the premier league / championship to get their Jamaican passports and file a one time switch. Some of the players in the process of joining are - Andre Gray, our very own Liam Moore, Michail Antonio, Demarai Gray, etc. They could have a pretty strong squad come September. 

Honduras and Costa Rica are nasty opponents that just set up to defend, counter, and then timewaste when they have a lead. Playing against them away is tough with hostile crowds and bumpy / torn up pitches. Curacao, should they qualify, play some really tidy possession based attacking football since all of their players are essentially Dutch born 2nd division players.  

That said, I think Canada have a greatly improved team. Hopefully they can get a qualifying spot along with USA/Mexico and represent well at the world cup. It would be a good preparation for hosting in 2026. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Tell you what, if you lot thought these Czech lads were diving, shithousing twats when City played them - you should see them down to ten men.

Was just coming in here to post this. Bunch of diving, whiny cnuts at international level as well. 

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Tell you what, if you lot thought these Czech lads were diving, shithousing twats when City played them - you should see them down to ten men.

Funny thing is they probably got a red card due to some play acting from the Wales player.

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The Wales player that got smacked in the face twice, once with a forearm smash and once with an attempted punch?

Not see it so take your word for it. - according to 5live they thought the Wales player went down easily but I take your word of it and it was Tony Pulis who said it.

Edited by Super_horns

Just now, Super_horns said:

Not see it - according to 5live they thought the Wales player went down easily but I take your word of it and it was Tony Pulis who said it.

Schick completely lost the plot. He's fouling Roberts as the ball comes in, smacking him in the face with his forearm whilst they're tussling. Stupidly, that's the first yellow card that Roberts gets. It isn't at all, it's ridiculous.

When they land, there's a bit of handbags and Schick flashes a hand in Roberts face. Roberts makes a meal of it, sure, but it's still a stonewall red card offence. I'm not sure what the fvck Pulis is on about, I've no idea how anyone can think it's not a red card in modern football. Literally forty odd years ago maybe you get away with it but not any time in the last few decades.

Roberts then gets a second yellow card for jumping for a header with a six foot two skinhead who jumps on the floor rolling around screaming holding his face because Roberts' elbow was within ten feet of him, after they'd spent solidly the last twenty minutes trying to get Welsh players carded. 

• Like 1

I do wish commentators would remove the phrase 'to be fair' out of their vocabulary as they never use it in context.

Clinton Morrison being one of worst, the sky sports presenter just asked him how the Ireland match was going and his first words were 'To be Fair Qatar are tiring'.

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Schick completely lost the plot. He's fouling Roberts as the ball comes in, smacking him in the face with his forearm whilst they're tussling. Stupidly, that's the first yellow card that Roberts gets. It isn't at all, it's ridiculous.

When they land, there's a bit of handbags and Schick flashes a hand in Roberts face. Roberts makes a meal of it, sure, but it's still a stonewall red card offence. I'm not sure what the fvck Pulis is on about, I've no idea how anyone can think it's not a red card in modern football. Literally forty odd years ago maybe you get away with it but not any time in the last few decades.

Roberts then gets a second yellow card for jumping for a header with a six foot two skinhead who jumps on the floor rolling around screaming holding his face because Roberts' elbow was within ten feet of him, after they'd spent solidly the last twenty minutes trying to get Welsh players carded. 

Yes that is true -.

Any raising of the hands is likely to lead to a red card so agree with that.

Seen it on Twitter and does seem to be a double contact from the Czech striker.

They did say the 2nd booking was very harsh too to be balanced. 

Anyway looks like Wales might get a good win.

I didn't realise only the top team goes through automatically so really Wales playing for 2nd?

I think Luxembourg deserve some respect. They've clearly improved massively since the days of being among the worst sides in Europe.

But dear oh dear Turkey... after fantastic results against Netherlands and Norway they are now drawing to Latvia, who have been unbelievably poor for years.

• Like 1

How the hell did this Czechia team get something off Belgium, Belgium sleepwalking in that match or what?

Some open groups developing, Turkey beat Netherlands and Norway just to draw at home to Latvia.  Russia/Croatia group is looks wide open too.