Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Blue ROI

World Cup 2022 Qualifiers

7 hours ago, Staff said:

What has happened to him? Gone full akinbiyi 

Reminds me of when Torres moved to Chelsea, high expectations and he turned into someone who played like they hadn’t seen a ball before. Confidence is totally shot, so pressure builds and your legs don’t do what your brain wants them to lol it is almost the easier the chance the more ridiculous he looks 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

• 6 months later...

I know they'll never get any respect on here, but if the U.S. manages to qualify they'll be dangerous in Qatar, and could be a major threat in 5 years.  The average age of their squad is 21 (basically unheard of for a WC side) and many of their stars are 18 or 19.  Pulisic, at 23, is actually one of the elder statesmen on the team.  I'm not convinced Berhalter is the right manager to take them to prominence, but this may actually be the long-awaited *Golden Generation" of American soccer talent.  Reyna (without whom - and Pulisic - they just won 2 of 3 qualifiers), Pepi, Dest, Aaronson, Musah, Weah, Scally, Busio, Hoppe - they're basically fielding a U-21 side that's holding its own against national teams.  A lot of these kids are already playing in European first divisions and they're only going to get better.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I know they'll never get any respect on here, but if the U.S. manages to qualify they'll be dangerous in Qatar, and could be a major threat in 5 years.  The average age of their squad is 21 (basically unheard of for a WC side) and many of their stars are 18 or 19.  Pulisic, at 23, is actually one of the elder statesmen on the team.  I'm not convinced Berhalter is the right manager to take them to prominence, but this may actually be the long-awaited *Golden Generation" of American soccer talent.  Reyna (without whom - and Pulisic - they just won 2 of 3 qualifiers), Pepi, Dest, Aaronson, Musah, Weah, Scally, Busio, Hoppe - they're basically fielding a U-21 side that's holding its own against national teams.  A lot of these kids are already playing in European first divisions and they're only going to get better.

They lost to Panama the other day 

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

They lost to Panama the other day 

Yeah, and they beat Costa Rica yesterday and Jamaica 5 days ago, and are second in the group.  Considering that pretty much every key player in those matches was 18-20 and their consensus two best players, Pulisic and Reyna (who's also 18) are out injured, I think that's pretty good.  If you gave Southgate his current squad except all of them were themselves at 18 or 19, how do you think England would fare?

The WC schedule is brutal - 3 matches in 6 days - and away matches in Latin America are never easy.  Horrible pitches, urine thrown on the players, searing heat and oppressive humidity.  Berhalter made 9 changes for the Panama match trying to counteract fatigue and that probably cost them, but it may have allowed them to run CR off the field the way they did - it was 2-1 and could easily have been 4 or 5-1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Nalis said:

Wales officially get a play off spot via the nations league. Austria have the other, unofficially at least.

Oceania wont start their qualifiers until at least June 2022 I heard??

Yeah Oceania haven’t been able to get games on because the covid lockdown regarding some of the islands. It looks like they are going to have a mini competition / use their continental tournament as qualification 

8 minutes ago, Bert said:

Bloody hell. Scotland have guaranteed themselves a playoff spot so they’ve decided to nick the Welsh mantra and are now the best team in the world 

Mate, just because you English are the most cynical, depressing, critical sods ever when it comes to your national team, doesn't mean we have to be. Sit down and let is have the night at least. 

• Like 1