Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Blue ROI

World Cup 2022 Qualifiers

4 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I just noticed the stats for Slovakia 6 Malta 0 today......

- Shots: 26-1

- On target: 16-0

- Corners 10-0

Malta did have 2 players red-carded just after H-T (though they were already 0-3 down), but I've rarely seen stats quite that extreme. lol

Bet the Maltese fans are cross..

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Portugal concede a last minute winner to Serbia meaning Portugal have to play off 

CR7 will be happy as he has another competitive fixture to add to his goal tally! 

Which means... Thats EXACTLY who Scotland are going to get. I would bet my left testicle on it. 

6 hours ago, Scotch said:

That's the ironic thing. For as much as European fans like to look down their nose at the game stateside, the one thing that fans can REALLY effect, that being the support and atmosphere, we are mules beind the Americans. 

Their games look like a brilliant, vibrant, festival atmosphere. Ours is bitter and nasty. 

The irony there is that (IMHO) this is exactly because soccer has always been a niche sport in America.  If you were enough of a fan to attend MLS games (or NASL games, as I did) you were a serious fan.  If you go to baseball or basketball games, you’d see plenty of fans who basically knew nothing about the sport and were just there for a lark or to be seen.

5 hours ago, filbertway said:

True, im seeing a lot more USA players turning up in European leagues than Chinese though :D

I think the key to their success will be to continue exporting talent to the European leagues.

It'll take a while for the MLS and American coaching to get to the levels of the elite European countries.

Combine their ability to churn out top class athletes with good quality coaching, I see no reason why they can't start developing top quality players on a regular basis.

I assume the current crop of players is the first shoots of progress being made by plans that started several years ago.

Yes, started under Jurgen Klinsmann, who was derided for encouraging players to go to European leagues and eventually made the fall guy for everything wrong with U.S. soccer.  Made a terrible decision not taking Donovan to the WC but he foresaw what was needed to get us where we are now, and set the plans in motion.

With Panama's insane comeback against Honduras, there really is a 4 horse race for 3 qualification spots. Halfway through qualifying this is what the table looks like:

image.thumb.png.c7a97aa823e68daacfeb6a00826f4447.png

I'm really looking forward to Canada - Mexico tomorrow night. Forcing Mexico to play at night in artic conditions is absolutely devious. It reminds me of the US - Costa Rica "Snow Classico." I've been really impressed by Canada the last couple years. They're a really well organized team with a few high end playmakers that would scare most teams on the counter-attack. I think they could be the surprise of the 22' world cup. 

The US is starting to finally find an identity on the pitch, which has been missing since about 2014. We look way better when we use our athleticism and physicality to pressure teams into mistakes in their half of the pitch. I'm not going to go as far as to say that we could win the 26' world cup, but I think we are clearly a nation on the rise. The MLS Academy system, in particular, is doing a much better job of identifying talent and selling them overseas to re-invest back into the academy (NY Redbull, Philly, FC Dallas, etc.). I just hope Leicester City capitalizes on how cheaply you can come by quality American players. 

Lastly, I'm not going to write the eulogy for Mexico quite yet. They've "struggled" in qualification, but always manage to find a late goal to either win or draw level. There's real pressure on Tata Martinez to turn things around, particularly in games against the US. It's just such a delightful twist of irony, that he dominated Gregg Berhalter in his MLS days, but now Gregg is his kryptonite at the international level.

I don't know what to make of Panama. They're maybe the most concacafy team in CONCACAF. The game they beat the US was perfectly scripted. As soon as they got the go ahead goal, I knew the next 30 minutes would be so interrupted by fake injuries, fans running on the field, etc. that the US would not get 2 minutes of uninterrupted play. They have a relatively easy schedule - el salvador, Costa Rica away, Jamaica through the end of January. They should be neck and neck with the 3 north american teams come February. But then they finish qualification with - Mexico away, Honduras, USA away, Canada. 

It's safe to say that Jamaica, Costa Rica, El Salvador and Honduras are all but eliminated. It's unfortunate that Jamaica has started so slow in qualification. They've actually been a lot better than the sum of their parts, and now they're starting to get some of the premier league castaways like Michael Antonio integrated into the team. I think if they commit to dual national recruitment, they could be at the 2026 world cup in the US/Mexico. 

Edited by Detroit Blues
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Portugal, Sweden , Russia and Italy/Switzerland  would be tough for the non  seeded play off teams so Scotland and Wales will want to make sure they are seeded too.

My understanding is they'll have to beat more than one team anyway. I don't think it's a straight play off to qualify. Isn't it only 3 teams from the 12 play off teams that qualify? Meaning they'll both likely have to play one of those first 5 you've mentioned to actually qualify..

I may have got all of that wrong, but I'm sure that's what I read a while back.

Edited by Duquesne Whistle

6 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

My understanding is they'll have to beat more than one team anyway. I don't think it's a straight play off to qualify. Isn't it only 3 teams from the 12 play off teams that qualify? Meaning they'll both likely have to play one of those first 5 you've mentioned to actually qualify..

I may have got all of that wrong, but I'm sure that's what I read a while back.

Yes that seems to be right - like for the Euros.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_UEFA_Second_Round

Italy play off bound?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

With Panama's insane comeback against Honduras, there really is a 4 horse race for 3 qualification spots. Halfway through qualifying this is what the table looks like:

image.thumb.png.c7a97aa823e68daacfeb6a00826f4447.png

I'm really looking forward to Canada - Mexico tomorrow night. Forcing Mexico to play at night in artic conditions is absolutely devious. It reminds me of the US - Costa Rica "Snow Classico." I've been really impressed by Canada the last couple years. They're a really well organized team with a few high end playmakers that would scare most teams on the counter-attack. I think they could be the surprise of the 22' world cup. 

The US is starting to finally find an identity on the pitch, which has been missing since about 2014. We look way better when we use our athleticism and physicality to pressure teams into mistakes in their half of the pitch. I'm not going to go as far as to say that we could win the 26' world cup, but I think we are clearly a nation on the rise. The MLS Academy system, in particular, is doing a much better job of identifying talent and selling them overseas to re-invest back into the academy (NY Redbull, Philly, FC Dallas, etc.). I just hope Leicester City capitalizes on how cheaply you can come by quality American players. 

Lastly, I'm not going to write the eulogy for Mexico quite yet. They've "struggled" in qualification, but always manage to find a late goal to either win or draw level. There's real pressure on Tata Martinez to turn things around, particularly in games against the US. It's just such a delightful twist of irony, that he dominated Gregg Berhalter in his MLS days, but now Gregg is his kryptonite at the international level.

I don't know what to make of Panama. They're maybe the most concacafy team in CONCACAF. The game they beat the US was perfectly scripted. As soon as they got the go ahead goal, I knew the next 30 minutes would be so interrupted by fake injuries, fans running on the field, etc. that the US would not get 2 minutes of uninterrupted play. They have a relatively easy schedule - el salvador, Costa Rica away, Jamaica through the end of January. They should be neck and neck with the 3 north american teams come February. But then they finish qualification with - Mexico away, Honduras, USA away, Canada. 

It's safe to say that Jamaica, Costa Rica, El Salvador and Honduras are all but eliminated. It's unfortunate that Jamaica has started so slow in qualification. They've actually been a lot better than the sum of their parts, and now they're starting to get some of the premier league castaways like Michael Antonio integrated into the team. I think if they commit to dual national recruitment, they could be at the 2026 world cup in the US/Mexico. 

As much as I like the USA and think they'll be a huge force in the future.  it's kind of crazy that you only have to finish in the top 3 of a group like that to qualify for the world cup.