Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Blue ROI

World Cup 2022 Qualifiers

11 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Great to see Scotland doing well, they have quite a few really good youngsters coming through.

Didn't imagine the Faroe Islands would be the sternest test for the Danes in that group. Scotland were poor, but maybe they'll show some more quality in the last game. With nothing to play for, especially now that Denmark conceded a goal, it's probably going to be an experimental XI from both teams.

31 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Great to see Scotland doing well, they have quite a few really good youngsters coming through.

Patterson has been the answer we've needed at RWB, obviously Robertson on the left. CM has been sorted for a while with McGinn and Mcgregor but Gilmour is a star for us and has really added a bit more quality. 

Defensively has been our biggest improvement with Tierney at LCB and Mctominay at RCB making up for a lack of quality CBs but who can also play from the back. 

Striker is our main issue. Dykes has been great but not an out and out scorer, neither is Adams. We really need a proper break out scorer to add a bit of bite to what's becoming a half decent team. Not sold on that lad Brown from Stoke being the answer. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Wasn't pretty, but a big win for us(Canada) tonight in Edmonton over Costa Rica.

US with a 2-0 win over Mexico.

Massive one next at home for us vs Mexico on Tuesday night.

When was the last time Canada qualified? 86? Will be good to see you guys there again if you can. 

• Thanks 1

On 15/10/2021 at 03:06, Deeg67 said:

Yeah, and they beat Costa Rica yesterday and Jamaica 5 days ago, and are second in the group.  Considering that pretty much every key player in those matches was 18-20 and their consensus two best players, Pulisic and Reyna (who's also 18) are out injured, I think that's pretty good.  If you gave Southgate his current squad except all of them were themselves at 18 or 19, how do you think England would fare?

The WC schedule is brutal - 3 matches in 6 days - and away matches in Latin America are never easy.  Horrible pitches, urine thrown on the players, searing heat and oppressive humidity.  Berhalter made 9 changes for the Panama match trying to counteract fatigue and that probably cost them, but it may have allowed them to run CR off the field the way they did - it was 2-1 and could easily have been 4 or 5-1.

After watching yesterday's dos a cero, I am finally ready to put my optimistic hat on.  The second half v Mexico was as good a half as I've seen a USMNT play.  The ball was moving too fast and too crisply for Mexico's press to handle.  Athletes at the back, not Tim ****ing Ream.  Guys up front who can finish.

That was one half of football in a qualifying tournament where they've still been up and down, but the trend is very much upward.  If it continues, the US will be nobody's pushover in Qatar, and in a position to go deep into the knockouts at home in 2026.

• Like 1

As far as I know nobody in CONCACAF has ever beaten El Tri three times in one year, which the USA has now done.  I'm still not sold on Berhalter but this is easily the most talented USMNT side I've ever seen.  They have 18-23 year-olds up and down the roster playing in top flight European leagues, two decent keepers to pick from, and enough depth to cover key injuries (of which they've had plenty).

If they get all the main pieces healthy going into the WC they could be very dangerous.  Probably too young to be a real threat to go deep, but I'll be very disappointed if they don't get out of the group stages.  In '26, playing at home with a side full of players who'll be in their mid-20s, they should be a legitimate threat to win the whole thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It will only be another 10-15 years before USA are up there with the top countries in the world 

Assuming football continues to increase in popularity and the standards of their own leagues keep improving. A country that big will be able to produce a hell of a lot of talent.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It will only be another 10-15 years before USA are up there with the top countries in the world 

Assuming football continues to increase in popularity and the standards of their own leagues keep improving. A country that big will be able to produce a hell of a lot of talent.

One problem is that right now our best players have to go to Europe because MLS is not at a high enough level to push them to develop.  And of course the only way MLS gets to that level is if our best players stay and play there.  It's kind of a vicious cycle.

No way are USA anywhere near winning a World Cup, let alone in the next 10 years or so. They may have a couple of decent young players, but zero world class players and are coached by someone with a worse CV than Ted Lasso. 
This qualifiers they lost against Panama and El Salvador, they are an awful watch too. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, filbertway said:

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

The paternalism when it comes to U.S. soccer is absolutely laughable, but that's nothing new.

Let’s be honest, they’re not a bad side, but they are a million miles away from being a good side. More chance of Burnley winning the PL than USA winning a World Cup in the next 10 years.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

The paternalism when it comes to U.S. soccer is absolutely laughable, but that's nothing new.

I have to say I'm intrigued by what you mean?

The USA will become a force , there's no question about it...but 10-15 years is pushing it a little.  The fact they will co host 2026 will be interesting, playing in front of incredibly passionate fans will certainly be a big advantage.

You just need to think that as far as USA will improve, several other nations will as well. Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, Spain, Italy, France, Germany. 

Even if 2 or 3 of them go through a transition period, you'll have the rest (or some of) hitting their peaks as a national team and dominating like Spain did 10-12 years ago.

I also can't see USA getting close to top countries like the above. Definitely not 10-15 years. No paternalism, or no disrespect to them. It's just a bit of realism in my eyes. 

• Like 1

Think the current US team has the potential to do well but in the same bracket as a Romania / Bulgaria in the 90s, Nigeria in the late 90s early 2000s or Ivory Coast/Ghana 10-15 years ago, but hardly a Belgium type threat.

Within in next 2 or 3 world cups the US might get to a QF or even a SF if the draw falls into place, which would be a great achievement in itself.

Edited by Nalis

3 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

I have to say I'm intrigued by what you mean?

The USA will become a force , there's no question about it...but 10-15 years is pushing it a little.  The fact they will co host 2026 will be interesting, playing in front of incredibly passionate fans will certainly be a big advantage.

Meaning English fans seem to feel an obsessive need to mock and demean anything connected with “soccer”, especially if it’s American.

A strong case can be made that the U.S. had the best pool of U-23 talent in the world - and most are already contributing to the national team even at 18 or 19.  They’re hosting the event in 5 years.  Anyone who thinks they can’t be a real contender isn’t looking at reality, they’re just indulging their need to feel superior where “their” sport is concerned.

On 13/11/2021 at 15:25, filbertway said:

The same was said/expected of China when they qualified for the 2002 World Cup. Many expensive imports have come and gone and China are arguably worse than ever. They've been dumpster level poor for years and in terms of raw talent potential they surely can't be surpassed.

It will be interesting to see the current generation of US players and how it will materialise for the USMNT. 

How is their coaching and training setup? Other nations are proof that it takes 15-20 years of planning and investment to nurture a successful national team.

24 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Meaning English fans seem to feel an obsessive need to mock and demean anything connected with “soccer”, especially if it’s American.

A strong case can be made that the U.S. had the best pool of U-23 talent in the world - and most are already contributing to the national team even at 18 or 19.  They’re hosting the event in 5 years.  Anyone who thinks they can’t be a real contender isn’t looking at reality, they’re just indulging their need to feel superior where “their” sport is concerned.

I agree, I think English fans like the fact that despite the Americans being the most powerful nation on earth they still don't get it (it being football), and there's a sense of worry that one day that will change and we'll have nothing to lord over the yanks.

That's certainly the feeling i got all those years ago when I would post about the MLS, i would post about how passionate the fans are which would often receive derision, furthermore i would post about how knowledgeable the fans were, and how popular soccer would become, which has indeed come true.  Nothing i see now makes me think any different, the US will become a force in the game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

I agree, I think English fans like the fact that despite the Americans being the most powerful nation on earth they still don't get it (it being football), and there's a sense of worry that one day that will change and we'll have nothing to lord over the yanks.

That's certainly the feeling i got all those years ago when I would post about the MLS, i would post about how passionate the fans are which would often receive derision, furthermore i would post about how knowledgeable the fans were, and how popular soccer would become, which has indeed come true.  Nothing i see now makes me think any different, the US will become a force in the game.

That's the ironic thing. For as much as European fans like to look down their nose at the game stateside, the one thing that fans can REALLY effect, that being the support and atmosphere, we are mules beind the Americans. 

Their games look like a brilliant, vibrant, festival atmosphere. Ours is bitter and nasty. 

• Like 1

I have no idea who is able to qualify for the 2022 WC and who can through Nations League, but some of the league positions are still to be decided...

Group A
image.thumb.png.3c06cbb3f5ae95761b4fc91a950c96a6.png

Portugal play Serbia later today. 

Shameful from Republic of Ireland to finish behind Luxembourg - they play each other later too.

Group B
image.thumb.png.d7fc71f6ae47244fc72c1304841082d0.png

Spain play Sweden later.

Group C
image.thumb.png.5fcfac8be8e5de00c5fc46e72393e596.png

Northern Ireland vs Italy tomorrow, as is Switzerland vs Bulgaria

Group G
image.thumb.png.ea7016f8519021189372820c41f849f4.png

Tuesday 16th Nov

Netherlands vs Norway
Montenegro vs Turkey

Edited by StanSP

2 hours ago, shen said:

The same was said/expected of China when they qualified for the 2002 World Cup. Many expensive imports have come and gone and China are arguably worse than ever. They've been dumpster level poor for years and in terms of raw talent potential they surely can't be surpassed.

It will be interesting to see the current generation of US players and how it will materialise for the USMNT. 

How is their coaching and training setup? Other nations are proof that it takes 15-20 years of planning and investment to nurture a successful national team.

True, im seeing a lot more USA players turning up in European leagues than Chinese though :D

I think the key to their success will be to continue exporting talent to the European leagues.

It'll take a while for the MLS and American coaching to get to the levels of the elite European countries.

Combine their ability to churn out top class athletes with good quality coaching, I see no reason why they can't start developing top quality players on a regular basis.

I assume the current crop of players is the first shoots of progress being made by plans that started several years ago.