Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mr Weller

Final Dilemma

I listened to our semi final replay against Liverpool  in 74 on the radio as a child because I was too young to go. It was heartbreaking.

I was at Villa Park in 82 as a teenager when we lost to Spurs. It was awful.

Now we face Southampton in the best semi final chance of my life with the very real prospect of a Wembley final.

But I won’t be going if we get there because it’s a test event for vaccinated people and although I have had my first jab my son will have not. He was upset he would be effectively barred from this ‘once in a lifetime’ opportunity because he won’t have been vaccinated and I I couldn’t go on my own and leave him behind.

So I face the prospect of missing out again and who knows when I’ll get another chance? 

Talk about bittersweet...

Edited by Mr Weller
  • Like 1

The government said a COVID-status certification system was being developed that would show whether a person had had a vaccine, a recent negative test or natural immunity from a positive test taken in the last six months. So get the lad tested and if he’s negative it should t be a problem😉 I would imagine a bigger issue will be getting a ticket 

6 hours ago, Mr Weller said:

I listened to our semi final replay against Liverpool  in 74 on the radio as a child because I was too young to go. It was heartbreaking.

Now we face Southampton in the best semi final chance of my life with the very real prospect of a Wembley final.

But I won’t be going if we get there because it’s a test event for vaccinated people and although I have had my first jab my son will have not. He was upset he would be effectively barred from this ‘once in a lifetime’ opportunity because he won’t have been vaccinated and I I couldn’t go on my own and leave him behind.

So I face the prospect of missing out again and who knows when I’ll get another chance? 

While others are thinking of what sensible advice to share with you, I am here thinking 'the only s-final he attended, we lost! Perhaps he should take one for the team and stay away from this one!' :crylaugh:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Mr Weller said:

Tickets will be restricted to Brent Council staff, Brent and NWL NHS and care staff, local school teachers and pupils over 18, Wembley Park residents and business and the local voluntary sector.

This isn't a chance for you, I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, filthyfox said:

Tickets will be restricted to Brent Council staff, Brent and NWL NHS and care staff, local school teachers and pupils over 18, Wembley Park residents and business and the local voluntary sector.

This isn't a chance for you, I'm afraid.

That's ****ing ridiculous. 

5 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

That's ****ing ridiculous. 

Why? It's a test event not a license to break all travel and stay local restrictions.

Neutral fans at a neutral venue much easier to regulate than actual fans at their home ground.

It is just a small step towards what we all want.

• Like 3

Are we confusing the semi final and the final?? Here’s a suggestion - why not wait until the semi final is done before analysing the chances/non chances of attending the final ............

there is no chance of LCFC fans attending the semi final (unless they filthyfox’s criteria listed above)

• Like 2

So if you’re young, can’t get a vaccine, don’t want to be arsed with the hassle of daily tests to go about your business. You’re better off, deliberately getting infected to get a six month pass? 🤔

Sounds about right.

13 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Why? It's a test event not a license to break all travel and stay local restrictions.

Neutral fans at a neutral venue much easier to regulate than actual fans at their home ground.

It is just a small step towards what we all want.

It’s not though is it? In what way does letting people who would in all other scenarios not be at that game, attend it and be considered at a step forwards? It’s a step towards an alternative reality.

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

It’s not though is it? In what way does letting people who would in all other scenarios not be at that game, attend it and be considered at a step forwards? It’s a step towards an alternative reality.

The alternative is no fans, they are not just going to open the doors and say everyone come back. Test events are to check the covid protocols and effectiveness/practicalities of restrictions and distancing in a footballing environment. That will be so much easier with neutral fans that will clap politely rather than lose their shit when a goal is scored.

Not to mention the travel restrictions that will still be in place and the uproar if they allowed some teams to have fans at not others 

Neutral ground neutral fans makes the most sense and it also acts as a test event for the final and real fans.

Just now, Captain... said:

The alternative is no fans, they are not just going to open the doors and say everyone come back. Test events are to check the covid protocols and effectiveness/practicalities of restrictions and distancing in a footballing environment. That will be so much easier with neutral fans that will clap politely rather than lose their shit when a goal is scored.

Not to mention the travel restrictions that will still be in place and the uproar if they allowed some teams to have fans at not others 

Neutral ground neutral fans makes the most sense and it also acts as a test event for the final and real fans.

Then let it be no fans, what benefits do having 4K neutrals have?

What exactly needs testing?

Will the people of Brent get behind us or behind Southampton I wonder? Or will they split into various partisan factions?

It would be strange indeed if trouble broke out between those Brent residents who backed Leicester and those who wanted Southampton to win?

Just now, Strokes said:

Nope?

What will they learn from putting 4k  neutral fans into Wembley that we don’t already know?

It'll be a good test into how socially distancing can work at Wembley with the Euros coming up this year.

Just now, AKCJ said:

It'll be a good test into how socially distancing can work at Wembley with the Euros coming up this year.

Will it?

Are they going to only be local fans with no affiliation too? If so, why ****ing bother with that too.

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Nope?

What will they learn from putting 4k  neutral fans into Wembley that we don’t already know?

One way systems, sanitizing stations, social distancing entering and exiting the stadium. Capacity for things like toilets and refreshments. You don't want people massing and queuing inside for the loos or food. You can try and model it but you can't predict it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Will it?

Are they going to only be local fans with no affiliation too? If so, why ****ing bother with that too.

They will probably be free tickets too so it won't matter too much if they miss kick off or if there is some disruption to the game due to the restrictions.

9 hours ago, Mr Weller said:

I went to Old Trafford and Villa park for both of the Liverpool FA Cup semi final games as a schoolboy, Villa Park as well for the Spurs game, at Villa Park I was devastated for the Liverpool loss, pissed for the Spurs game, many semi finals and play off semis that led to Wembley visits, all attended apart from the Wimbledon (Grayson) semi. Fantastic memories and maybe just maybe this could be our FA Cup year (with fans) at Wembley... 

PS. If we had beaten Liverpool our name would be on The FA Cup as Newcastle were awful in the final... :scarf: