Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Riyad Mahrez

This was our greatest achievement ever and with what our brilliant chairman and our management had done for his career you would expect a bit of heart from the player

Its very sad that he keeps putting us down, hopefully one day he will realise how good we was to him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Isn't this old news,  he's said this before.....

Yeah, look at the bottom of the article, he speaks about joining Man City.

No idea why this has been dragged up again.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, dayday said:

'Frustrated' Riyad Mahrez reveals how Leicester City blocked Arsenal transfer before Man City move

The Algerian winger wanted to leave the Foxes after their Premier League title success in 2016 but was forced to wait two years.

Manchester City star Riyad Mahrez has revealed Leicester City blocked a move to Arsenal after winning the Premier League in 2016 leaving the winger "frustrated".

The Foxes lifted the 2015/16 title in phenomenal circumstances, with Mahrez netting 17 goals and registering 11 assists as he scooped the PFA Player of the Year award. 

Like Jamie Vardy, Mahrez has now revealed he had agreed a deal to move to Arsenal the following summer, with Arsene Wenger keen for the Algerian to move to the Emirates Stadium.

However, Leicester blocked the deal and Mahrez didn't get his big-money move until 2018 when he joined Manchester City, two years later, with Claudio Ranieri's men forced to fight relegation the following campaign in a miserable title defence.

Mahrez had amitted he was left very "frustrated" by the failed move, as it would have allowed him to arrive "at the highest level" two years earlier.

Mahrez told France Football: "After the title, if I'd left for a top team, it wouldn't have been the same story.

For me, it's clear that I lost two years at the highest level. I lost two years! Because instead of arriving at City at 27, I could have been there at 24, 25.

Leicester blocked me. They told me: 'You're not leaving, you're not leaving'.

My agent had spoken to [Arsene] Wenger who really wanted me. It was nearly all done with Arsenal in 2016. I was really frustrated. 

"It wasn't easy to go from being the best player in the Premier League to being a part of a team fighting against relegation.

It's not the same job. Everyone is waiting for you around the corner."

On joining Manchester City, he added: "He [Guardiola] was happy first. He said he was very happy to have me here.

"He said we're going to make big things together with the team."

I didn’t realise Arsenal was in for him, would that of been a good career move?, I doubt it looking at Arsenal now.

This again? Isn’t this an old article or a re-hash I’ve read this before more than a year ago?

40 minutes ago, dayday said:

'Frustrated' Riyad Mahrez reveals how Leicester City blocked Arsenal transfer before Man City move

The Algerian winger wanted to leave the Foxes after their Premier League title success in 2016 but was forced to wait two years.

Manchester City star Riyad Mahrez has revealed Leicester City blocked a move to Arsenal after winning the Premier League in 2016 leaving the winger "frustrated".

The Foxes lifted the 2015/16 title in phenomenal circumstances, with Mahrez netting 17 goals and registering 11 assists as he scooped the PFA Player of the Year award. 

Like Jamie Vardy, Mahrez has now revealed he had agreed a deal to move to Arsenal the following summer, with Arsene Wenger keen for the Algerian to move to the Emirates Stadium.

However, Leicester blocked the deal and Mahrez didn't get his big-money move until 2018 when he joined Manchester City, two years later, with Claudio Ranieri's men forced to fight relegation the following campaign in a miserable title defence.

Mahrez had amitted he was left very "frustrated" by the failed move, as it would have allowed him to arrive "at the highest level" two years earlier.

Mahrez told France Football: "After the title, if I'd left for a top team, it wouldn't have been the same story.

For me, it's clear that I lost two years at the highest level. I lost two years! Because instead of arriving at City at 27, I could have been there at 24, 25.

Leicester blocked me. They told me: 'You're not leaving, you're not leaving'.

My agent had spoken to [Arsene] Wenger who really wanted me. It was nearly all done with Arsenal in 2016. I was really frustrated. 

"It wasn't easy to go from being the best player in the Premier League to being a part of a team fighting against relegation.

It's not the same job. Everyone is waiting for you around the corner."

On joining Manchester City, he added: "He [Guardiola] was happy first. He said he was very happy to have me here.

"He said we're going to make big things together with the team."

I didn’t realise Arsenal was in for him, would that of been a good career move?, I doubt it looking at Arsenal now.

The only reason there was a block...was because a Contract was signed....

Snot-nosed players also have to take responsibilty & Not Blame other actors involved  in their career paths...agents/parents/ clubs..

This young man is Not someone who can Stand-up and be counted on "His words or signature "

I also believe at the Time some in our clubs Management were also Not-so-up-front...Hence The Mayrez-Huff, Ulloa huff

though his advisors were pure necessary & didn t Support him, when needed....

then again Media Outlets can Move a few words around to deliberate the "outer-context" headlines.....

If Mahrez wants to still have fond memories & start up Story to his First seasons & First title, have his name fondly remembered

then he needs to see he is Mature und doesn't tarnish any respected reputation...

Edited by fuchsntf

Its the good old rehashed news from yesteryear.

I didn't comment on this before but IMO footballers should embrace success and not look back with regret. We have seen 1000 players as "wonderkids" or the next big thing who dont develop, get injured or things take a turn for their worse in their personal life and they go off the radar. One minute they are £30m players and the next playing Championship level football.

Mahrez should count his lucky stars we persisted and got him. I read articles where he didnt even want to come here in the first place, then we read he didnt want to stay!! He was amazing for us when we won the league, but for large spells after that he played like he didnt want to be here and was one of the reasons we were performing so badly. Im glad the club dug there heels in initially.

He needs to remember his career could of gone a completely different way had we not persisted in him. Someone buy him a copy of Back to the future FFS!!!

Annoys me that he is moaning about how he was in a relegation battle the season after we nailed the league. As I remember his form was extremely patchy that season anyway, obviously due to his strop, so didn't really help matters.

So not only did we pluck him from the obscurity of the second tier in France and give him a PL title and a place on the stage of the Champions league but we stopped him from making the mistake of moving to a club who's highest league finish in 6 years is when they fished second behind us and he's seriously talking about us delaying his arrival to the highest level? No. We delayed him from making 200+k a year. 

This is about money. Nothing else. 

If he had got his way, he would be earning mega money playing mid table football with Arsenal, looking up at us. He should be tickling Rudkins taint on a daily basis. 

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Also, I dont like slating ex players but bloody hell, Mahrez doesnt half moan does he? Constantly at it. He's at one of the best clubs in the world and plays as much as he could hope, what more does he want?

In his defence, this interview has been dug up at least three or four times and regurgitated as something new.

That "I lost two years" quote is years old.

15 minutes ago, turlo said:

it was reported by the Manchester Evening News today but links to the original article from 2 years ago!

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mahrez-blocked-transfer-man-city-20345120

Apologies for the thread start, didn’t realise it was a re-hash, had no idea either Arsenal wanted him.