Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Clever Fox

Players Mental State

During the Championship win great escape and Title winning year we had a Psychologist to support the players and get the best out of them.

Claudio in his wisdom decided to get rid of him which many of us thought it was a foolish idea.

Managers come and go but it's up to the Club to protect the fabric of the Club and do what's best for the Club.

Given all that's happened with last years collapse and Covid etc. wouldn't it be a good time to bring back a psychologist to help the players through these difficult times.

With so many tough games coming up It certainly couldn't do any harm or could it.

Edited by Clever Fox
spelling error
  • Like 4

We've shown no sign of collapsing because of mental weakness. It's all people's paranoia about what happened last year.

We've had one game (Arsenal) where it all went horribly wrong but  this was driven by fatigue & picking up 3 (three!) injuries in one game. People (including me) thought we were done for. We responded by coming from a goal down at Burnley to get a point, and coming from behind against Brighton to win. We then followed that up with an FA Cup quarter final win against Manchester United. This was followed by being outplayed by Man City (not exactly surprising).

The West Ham game is a weird one - we've gone 3 goals down and shown good character to come back into the game and could easily have knicked something at the end. I think that shows good mental resolve. Look at what happened against Bournemouth and compare it to the attitude in the West Ham game.

Lastly - if we fell out of the top 4 this season it would be pretty rough, but I certainly wouldn't be calling for Brendan's head (as I have in the past after last season's capitulation). It's so close at the top and we've got some really tough luck this season with injuries, as well as some really difficult fixtures left. 

The bottom line though is that a pyschologist won't have any impact on Perez, Maddison et al deciding to be muppets and put our Covid bubble at risk. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

We've shown no sign of collapsing because of mental weakness. It's all people's paranoia about what happened last year.

We've had one game (Arsenal) where it all went horribly wrong but  this was driven by fatigue & picking up 3 (three!) injuries in one game. People (including me) thought we were done for. We responded by coming from a goal down at Burnley to get a point, and coming from behind against Brighton to win. We then followed that up with an FA Cup quarter final win against Manchester United. This was followed by being outplayed by Man City (not exactly surprising).

The West Ham game is a weird one - we've gone 3 goals down and shown good character to come back into the game and could easily have knicked something at the end. I think that shows good mental resolve. Look at what happened against Bournemouth and compare it to the attitude in the West Ham game.

Lastly - if we fell out of the top 4 this season it would be pretty rough, but I certainly wouldn't be calling for Brendan's head (as I have in the past after last season's capitulation). It's so close at the top and we've got some really tough luck this season with injuries, as well as some really difficult fixtures left. 

The bottom line though is that a pyschologist won't have any impact on Perez, Maddison et al deciding to be muppets and put our Covid bubble at risk. 

You make some valid points regards performances but last years collapse had more to do with Brendans failings than the players IMO. Yes he was unlucky with injuries but also his approach to games cost us when a tighter approach might have yielded the few points we needed. That's in the past now.

it's the small margins of how we prevent it happening again I'm trying to figure out. Yes injuries once again is a problem. So maybe we should be looking back to what we done during the 3 magic years leading to the title. What methods were used then and what has changed.

At no time was I suggesting to get rid of Brendan. He's doing an excellent job even though I think he's made some big mistakes in his approach. But he is learning as he goes. And he's the right man for the young players development.

Brendan is a great Coach and good Manager but he doesn't seem to posses neither O'neils or Claudio's ability to make the players feel invincible before big games.

As to Perez Maddison etc. I think Regular meeting with a Psychologist could have helped with the squad bond and possibly prevented what happened.

Anything that might give us that edge is worth a try surely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daddylonglegs said:

Those Muppets need an executionist!!….

I think BR partly sees his role as the team psychologist. 

He's made no secret that he's trained in NLP and is into all that side of things, so I'd imagine he practices his voodoo on the players who need it :P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

During the Championship win great escape and Title winning year we had a Psychologist to support the players and get the best out of them.

Claudio in his wisdom decided to get rid of him which many of us thought it was a foolish idea.

Managers come and go but it's up to the Club to protect the fabric of the Club and do what's best for the Club.

Given all that's happened with last years collapse and Covid etc. wouldn't it be a good time to bring back a psychologist to help the players through these difficult times.

With so many tough games coming up It certainly couldn't do any harm or could it.

You are Woody Allen & I claim my £5

Rogers has been in cup finals with Celtic many times and he is best placed to get the players minds in the right place to win this match. Better than any psychologist could do IMO. Even better have former hard men like Walshy & Matty Elliot pay a visit to the training ground and give the team talk about having balls!

I have a feeling we're gonna do it. Maybe we'll look back on last weeks calamity as a blessing for the boost it gives us for the rest of the games?

14 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Rogers has been in cup finals with Celtic many times and he is best placed to get the players minds in the right place to win this match. Better than any psychologist could do IMO. Even better have former hard men like Walshy & Matty Elliot pay a visit to the training ground and give the team talk about having balls!

I have a feeling we're gonna do it. Maybe we'll look back on last weeks calamity as a blessing for the boost it gives us for the rest of the games?

...he didn't do it against Villa....we were flat on the night in the first leg and looked as if we had never played together before!!!

I am positive he adopts a different tack in big games and gives out the wrong vibes to the team prior to setting foot on the pitch. Even if he chooses to sit deep lets us do it with purpose as opposed to looking like we are incapable of doing anything else.

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The club provides such currently, not sure how widely used it is from the players though like has been reported in the past under Pearson and Ranieri.

No idea where the topic starter got their information from?

There was in 2016 and still remaining a Psychology lead at LCFC.

Initially it was perceived that the players would be seen as weak to go and speak with someone of that profession, however the mould was broken when Danny Drinkwater went to see him one day. Then the rest followed, as if it was good enough for someone who was playing for England (at the time) could use such a service then it was good enough for any of the players.

The players use this service if they need too.

• Like 1

The club as the employer has a duty of care regarding their employees' health, physically and mentally, so I would imagine something is in place. You do occasionally read about players using their own personal psychologist, which would make sense as it would be someone who stays with them even if they change club. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

With respect lets leave his Celtic results aside as we all know how easy it is to win up their compared to the Premiership. Yes he's best placed but doesn't seem to have the gift of others I've mentioned. 

O Neill wasn't the best Coach he had Walford and Robertson for that. But he sent his teams out feeling 10 feet Tall in games which is why they punched way above their weight.  

I called the WH game as being a crunch game back in Jan,Feb, As I know Moyes strengths.  So why such an abject performance in what was always going to be a difficult game. 

As has happened in other games.

I know nothing about Psychology, but I do know quite a bit about Management and if you give the players negative vibes it can affect their performance. You need to empower with confidence to get the best from them.

I just posed the question as these are very strange times for everybody and we here so much talk about Mental Health on TV That it might provide a slight edge in our games while looking after the players well being.

That's all I have to say about it. I could be way off the Mark.

....you would like to think there is a period, where a player has to speak to a Psychologist, every 3 -4 weeks!!!

They can not be sitting there twiddling their thumbs waiting for someone to come in and see them. Players with an onset of any anxiety would choose to ignore the matter until it manifest itself in unexpectedly negative ways.

The occasional visit now and then is all very well but a streamlined approach where you go to talk and it is not to your wife, your girlfriend or your coach on a regular basis will be a good thing to implement.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The club provides such currently, not sure how widely used it is from the players though like has been reported in the past under Pearson and Ranieri.

29 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

No idea where the topic starter got their information from?

There was in 2016 and still remaining a Psychology lead at LCFC.

Initially it was perceived that the players would be seen as weak to go and speak with someone of that profession, however the mould was broken when Danny Drinkwater went to see him one day. Then the rest followed, as if it was good enough for someone who was playing for England (at the time) could use such a service then it was good enough for any of the players.

The players use this service if they need too.

I wasn't aware of that as I hadn't heard or read it anywhere. Thanks for making us aware.

I thought when Claudio got rid of Ken Way we never replaced him. I delighted to hear we have something in place as anything that gives us an advantage is surely worthwhile.

Especially these difficult times for everyone.

After our abject first half performance I was just trying to figure out what was missing. Though it's fair to say that you could put the second half com back down to Brendan.

While I'm not dismissing it I think it might have had as much to do with professional pride based on other poor performances. 

11 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....you would like to think there is a period, where a player has to speak to a Psychologist, every 3 -4 weeks!!!

They can not be sitting there twiddling their thumbs waiting for someone to come in and see them. Players with an onset of any anxiety would choose to ignore the matter until it manifest itself in unexpectedly negative ways.

The occasional visit now and then is all very well but a streamlined approach where you go to talk and it is not to your wife, your girlfriend or your coach on a regular basis will be a good thing to implement.

I would totally agree with this. There's so many issues that players worry about particularly if they are young finding their feet or got themselves involved in something problematic.

This could be anything from personnel performance to Gambling, Drugs etc. Who knows what.

So anything that helps the players surely has to help with performances. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

I think BR partly sees his role as the team psychologist. 

He's made no secret that he's trained in NLP and is into all that side of things, so I'd imagine he practices his voodoo on the players who need it :P

Interesting, So that could be the answer. You know what they say about a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

• Haha 1

30 mins compulsory session per week with a psychologist should be part of every premier league footballers contract.

Young, with all the worlds trappings being thrown at them.

Better support needed.