Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Southampton A Post Match Thread

Guest bennytwohats
3 hours ago, Vestan Pance said:

Looking at the Stats we had 23 shots last night, the 9-0 we had 25 shots, so it's not hard to see where it went wrong.

About 15 of those were Maddison trying speculative efforts whenever he got the ball. We had a few others guilty of that as well. It certainly wasn’t just down to our shooting, we didn’t create great chances. Southampton played their part in making it hard for us

13 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Of all the OTT nonsense that got spouted, citing 'arrogance' has to be the most ridiculous.

Arrogance would suggest a belief in ourselves which I just don’t see. If anything it is a lack of belief and arrogance. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

If we'd had 10 men for 80 mins and nicked a point against a superior team we'd be moaning that nobody (inc the media) was giving us credit for terrific spirit, grit, determination, organisation, character etc.

Southampton - as bad as they've been of late - put in a tireless shift and we looked a bit jaded 9not surprising with a 4th game in 13 days).

Soton deserve more credit for their defensive display than FT has given them.

PS. Man City last season had more shots at Soton (where they lost 1-0) than we did in the 9-0 and they didn't score once.

These. Things. Happen.

Yep to quote a simple cliche “was simply a bad day at the office “

I actually thought as soon as they went down to 10 men it was going to be a frustrating day . I also thought the quick succession of games showed that it had caught  up with us and we looked very leggy . We still got a point away from home so onwards and upwards. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

If we'd had 10 men for 80 mins and nicked a point against a superior team we'd be moaning that nobody (inc the media) was giving us credit for terrific spirit, grit, determination, organisation, character etc.

Southampton - as bad as they've been of late - put in a tireless shift and we looked a bit jaded 9not surprising with a 4th game in 13 days).

Soton deserve more credit for their defensive display than FT has given them.

PS. Man City last season had more shots at Soton (where they lost 1-0) than we did in the 9-0 and they didn't score once.

These. Things. Happen.

I knew it was going to be tough when they got a man sent off. The red made their tactics simple, defend and get the point.

They defended well in parts but I we made that game a lot more easier than it needed to be. Tactics needed to be changed and we needed to be a lot more urgent and direct. To try and carve out a chance against a team sitting in with almost all their players behind the ball is hard work, we pissed that game away more than how well they defended. I bet their players were surprised by how comfortable they were. The only time we piled the pressure on was when we went 1-0 down.

If Southampton defended amazingly then I would agree that it happens but we didn’t do anywhere near enough to win that game.

23 hours ago, SHANE_ said:

Praet would offer nothing against a deep block. His game is about running and there was no space to run into... 

What I would have liked is to see is someone who was prepared to run at them with the ballas this tends to disconcert a packed and set defence.  It's arguable whether  this is in Praet's skill set, but I think he's the most likely in our squad to be able to drive forward like that (except for Tielemans, but he didn't seem to have enough energy on the night).

It's all conjecture and fine opinion, but what does stick out for me is that Praet would surely have provided more energy and impact to freshen up our midfield than Maddison, who had a particular and rare evening of total ineffectiveness. Given that Rodgers cited tiredness as an excuse for the performance I'm surprised and disappointed that he didn't detect this condition in the players prior to the game and make just a couple of changes to add that bit of freshness. 

Anyway, time to move on. Hope a week's rest will do the trick v Newcastle. :scarf:

On 30/04/2021 at 23:25, Fox seen in Norwich said:

Sending off was a game defining moment. Such bad refereeing/VAR incidentally but as it turned out had a negative impact on us as they were forced to just see the game out.

pen was unlucky but we played ok just not great and lacked that sharp finish 

disappointing but it’s a prem away point so take it and move on

...the strange thing was that after the sending off they became more threatening!!!

They raised their game after the red card and we were second best. Once they had scored, sitting in became a good option for them and with every man behind the ball, us, having an extra man on the pitch was negated. When you have every player covering for each other it is hard to find the overloads.

The Nacho handball was unfortunate but you have to ask what was he doing there, as a forward should he really be in the box defending instead of closing people down and being available to counter.

7 minutes ago, deep blue said:

What I would have liked is to see is someone who was prepared to run at them with the ballas this tends to disconcert a packed and set defence.  It's arguable whether  this is in Praet's skill set, but I think he's the most likely in our squad to be able to drive forward like that (except for Tielemans, but he didn't seem to have enough energy on the night).

It's all conjecture and fine opinion, but what does stick out for me is that Praet would surely have provided more energy and impact to freshen up our midfield than Maddison, who had a particular and rare evening of total ineffectiveness. Given that Rodgers cited tiredness as an excuse for the performance I'm surprised and disappointed that he didn't detect this condition in the players prior to the game and make just a couple of changes to add that bit of freshness. 

Anyway, time to move on. Hope a week's rest will do the trick v Newcastle. :scarf:

I must admit this is also what I missed...I thought both Perez through the Middle & Albrighton from the Flankswould have done....

Even bringing on Under to attack  the box..

6 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...the strange thing was that after the sending off they became more threatening!!!

They raised their game after the red card and we were second best. Once they had scored, sitting in became a good option for them and with every man behind the ball, us, having an extra man on the pitch was negated. When you have every player covering for each other it is hard to find the overloads.

The Nacho handball was unfortunate but you have to ask what was he doing there, as a forward should he really be in the box defending instead of closing people down and being available to counter.

Nacho is tall..he Defends at Set pieces....Basic Football really...innit . :)

6 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Nacho is tall..he Defends at Set pieces....Basic Football really...innit . :)

...not sure you can term it as basic football when you have both strikers in the box defending!!!

It comes down to the managers preference and just prevents any outlet whilst defending. Some managers keep a man or two up the pitch which means the opposition need to keep at least two back to cover and having Nacho in the box can only be for numbers as he is never the one heading the ball away to safety and it is still rare to see him in that position at that time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...not sure you can term it as basic football when you have both strikers in the box defending!!!

It comes down to the managers preference and just prevents any outlet whilst defending. Some managers keep a man or two up the pitch which means the opposition need to keep at least two back to cover and having Nacho in the box can only be for numbers as he is never the one heading the ball away to safety and it is still rare to see him in that position at that time.

It is when the opposition CBs go up, and you are the tallest striker..

Happens every week since Football began..

Nacho vor the last 3 games. Headerd the ball 2-3 Time away....

Edited by fuchsntf

On 30/04/2021 at 23:09, Hammo said:

To gloss over that and highlight the other contributions he is making to the team is fair enough but not helpful in resolving the underlying problem. I desperately want him to start putting these chances away, but the fact that he isn’t is a major issue for the team at this business end of the campaign - and it’s the team that matters, not the reputation of any one individual irrespective of his iconic status. Jamie needs to work especially hard in training and do what it takes to rediscover his scoring touch sooner rather than later. Or it will cost us.

You pointing out what is obvious is resolving the problem? You don't think BR and Vardy aren't aware his finishing isn't good at the moment? He's still working hard, making runs, he's not hiding, he's getting into good positions to create chances. If he wasn't then I'd say there's a big problem. But he is. He's doing the things you seemingly are accusing him of not doing. "rediscover", kind of hits the nail on the head. With something that's so much a mental and confidence thing "rediscovering" it is illusive. He keeps doing what he's doing it'll come. You say the team that matters, yeah I agree, it's why I pointed out his contribution to the team. Giving the goals his partnership with Kel' has provided you want to bench him for a bit? Seems like a massive gamble. It would be great if he could find his edge again, we would have literally won the game on Friday, but it is what it is. I seriously wonder whether he's reliably only able to score consistently for half a season lol. It feels like we had the same issue this time last season. Luckily Kel' has stepped up. 

• Like 3

On 01/05/2021 at 05:12, BigGibbo said:

I swear there's a guy on here called Stan with about 28 profiles all for posting about how embarrassing other members of Foxestalk are and liking his own posts...

Yeah there are quite a few of them here ... creating new faceless profiles laughing at others posts but never posting anything of value to allow for any debate ... all while hiding his/her real profile ... shameless really ...

Edited by Tom12345
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Yeah there are quite a few of them here ... creating new faceless profiles laughing at others posts but never posting anything of value to allow for any debate ... all while hiding his/her real profile ... shameless really ...

In my experience, @StanSP is perfectly happy to dish it, but can’t take it

IF that’s the ‘Stan’ you’re talking about anyway 

20 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

In my experience, @StanSP is perfectly happy to dish it, but can’t take it

IF that’s the ‘Stan’ you’re talking about anyway 

Don't worry @Col city fan

I thought we got on at least in a civil way, despite our disagreements. But I won't be around much longer so you can enjoy your time on here without me here. 

If you genuinely think I've 'created profiles' just to give myself rep it makes you look very stupid. Or that I 'never post anything of value' to allow for any debate? Couldn't be further from the truth. All because we sometimes have different opinions? Thought better of you, Col.

17 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I thought we got on at least in a civil way, despite our disagreements. But I won't be around much longer so you can enjoy your time on here without me here. 

If you genuinely think I've 'created profiles' just to give myself rep it makes you look very stupid. Or that I 'never post anything of value' to allow for any debate? Couldn't be further from the truth. All because we sometimes have different opinions? Thought better of you, Col.

I expect it is thought that I've done similar. Easy to make such accusations without a shred of evidence.

8 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I expect it is thought that I've done similar. Easy to make such accusations without a shred of evidence.

The whole obsession about it is ridiculous. 3 days on from the game. People must be very bored. 

43 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Where are you going? :( You’re one of the few balanced and informative posters on here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Where are you going? :( You’re one of the few balanced and informative posters on here.

Not to some on here, apparently. 

Some of the posts on Friday after the game got to me. Think it was needless and pointless and all a bit of obsessive towards me. Just over some rep? They're more obsessed over it than they even think I am. 

Anyway, I don't know where I'll be going but perhaps just need a break. Not worth slinging the mud on here towards anyone so I won't be doing that! I'd like to think I'm better than that. But thank you :) 

• Like 1