Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Southampton A Post Match Thread

1 minute ago, Hoopla10 said:

Nobody is denying that. But at the same time you can praise his other contributions and not just pile-on given what he's provided for this club over the years (INCLUDING his goals in the first half of this season!). At the end of the day, what other striker do you feel should he be replaced by? There isn't one. His contribution has helped Nacho score as many as he has who needs a player along side him. So in fear of sounding like an apologist, what's your actual point? Are you saying it'll never come back? Do you just want to point out the obvious? 

My point is that Vardy, despite his legendary status as our greatest ever striker, cannot escape criticism, especially if we do not fulfil our season’s objective of finishing in the top four. The amount of simple chances that he has missed over the past 3-4 months is staggering. He gets paid to score goals. He has not been doing that. And it is very worrying. To gloss over that and highlight the other contributions he is making to the team is fair enough but not helpful in resolving the underlying problem. I desperately want him to start putting these chances away, but the fact that he isn’t is a major issue for the team at this business end of the campaign - and it’s the team that matters, not the reputation of any one individual irrespective of his iconic status. Jamie needs to work especially hard in training and do what it takes to rediscover his scoring touch sooner rather than later. Or it will cost us.

9 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Yeah, I see both sides of that argument nothing can be as heartbreaking as the away game against Stoke that took us down to the third tier for the first time in our history, or the Watford play off semi final, but expectations have raised, an thinking back on those days allow any frustrations from tonight's performance to have some element of perspective, but we do also need to look forwards at where we wanna go rather than just be grateful for being better than those days.

• Like 1

Can't see the problem tbh. 

A point is really not that bad and means the chasers have to win to make up ground. 

Still think we've got enough to beat Newcastle and, after all the negative stuff about spurs, are we really scared of them, in the last game? 

#FEARLESS 😄

18 minutes ago, enmac said:

If ever there was a game to bring Under on, this was it. Something a little unpredictable and he would have been practically unknown to the Southampton players. 

Absolutely. A gamble, but that's what we needed - something unpredictable, and someone likely to run at the opposition.

• Like 2

People will say it’s salty and arrogant but the red card was a nightmare for us.

As a possession based side we’ve gone from being in a position where we can counter attack ruthlessly with players out of position, to trying to break down a side with 10 behind the ball for 80 minutes. If you’d offered me 0-0 when the red card happened I’d have taken it.

As ridiculous as it sounds, if we just don’t lose any of the rest of our games, I think it’ll be enough. 

Still baffles me why Rodgers didn’t bring on Albrighton/Ricardo or Under for Fofana at the start of the second half. 
We needed to stretch them out wide especially against 10 men and he brings Perez on playing in the same position as Maddison. It got too congested in the middle.  

• Like 4

Just now, daddylonglegs said:

People will say it’s salty and arrogant but the red card was a nightmare for us.

As a possession based side we’ve gone from being in a position where we can counter attack ruthlessly with players out of position, to trying to break down a side with 10 behind the ball for 80 minutes. If you’d offered me 0-0 when the red card happened I’d have taken it.

As ridiculous as it sounds, if we just don’t lose any of the rest of our games, I think it’ll be enough. 

So don't lose till the end it the season and we'll get top 4? You're a genius!

1 hour ago, SydenhamFox said:

Exactly. We are so much better at a faster pace. It should be standard. WHY is our tempo so slow?

Probably because that is the 4th match in just over two weeks without changes to the lineup. The same team played on Monday night and only 3 days off before a Friday night kickoff today. Both Palace and Southampton had decent breaks before playing us.

Hopefully the week off before Newcastle will give us some energy back. We're going to need it going into the last 4 and an fa cup final.

Was looking for at least ten points from these four- we're still on course for that. Disappointing having played against ten for so long but they were committed and well organised and maybe a 3rd game in 8 days was a bit too much. It might be a useful point after this weekend and we'll hopefully rest and recover before next Friday.

No need to panic, it's still firmly in our hands.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, winteriscoming said:

Still baffles me why Rodgers didn’t bring on Albrighton/Ricardo or Under for Fofana at the start of the second half. 
We needed to stretch them out wide especially against 10 men and he brings Perez on playing in the same position as Maddison. It got too congested in the middle.  

I expected Rodgers to simply bring on Perez for Maddison, who was having a nightmare.

Call me crazy but if it'd had been 11 vs 11 i reckon we would have won. Changed the system too late, and got it going too late. Oh well. We shouldn't kill ourselves over this result. If we'd had lost then I'd understand. Newcastle a massive test now!! Coyf

48 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Had we won tonight and win on Friday and then lost the last 3 but scraped in the CL, although we'd all be relieved it would also be very alarming.

A bit intimidated to take on the great Ric Flair, but I strongly disagree with that. Imagine getting to the end of the season, having gotten past the line of CL - an incredible achievement for the club with our fixtures and injuries this year, knowing that our pull for new players will be greater, our ability to keep our important players is greater, and we'll have tens of millions of dollars to play with, oh and maybe with an FA Cup title in hand - and thinking "I'm alarmed".

Anyway about the game - obviously it's disappointing.  Any time you don't win you can pick reasons why.  Hindsight and all of that.  But after that game, it was pretty obvious playing 3 in 8 and 4 in 13 or whatever took it's toll - Rodgers said so in the post game. So with that being the case, I think it's a valid point of criticism to say he could've made some changes.  We're not spoiled for options of course, but Perez in for Maddison, Albrighton or Ricardo in for Thomas seem like two very reasonable changes that could have been made.  Also I understand it comes across as a bit hopeful, but I really do think that Under could have made a difference there.  Some were talking about how in a game like that you need to run at people.  He's really the only one in the team that has the potential to do that.  But I can see why he didn't do it, not least of which is they've already basically announced he's going back to Roma.  I don't see the point in making that public, and once you do, how can you put him into such an important game? I mean really, why even have him on the bench anymore if there's absolutely no chance he'll play?

I really thought once Evans got the equalizer we'd go on to win.  It's the hope that kills you.  It makes the Newcastle game even more important than what it would have otherwise been.  There was really a chance that winning tonight + next Friday would've meant we didn't need anything from our last 3 games.  That's done now you have to think.  We can definitely get points off those teams, but now we'll have to.

Edited by Bats8711
  • Like 2

Sending off was a game defining moment. Such bad refereeing/VAR incidentally but as it turned out had a negative impact on us as they were forced to just see the game out.

pen was unlucky but we played ok just not great and lacked that sharp finish 

disappointing but it’s a prem away point so take it and move on

• Like 1

We looked like a team who had played 3 games in 8 days with little squad rotation.

Despite the poor performance we still got into enough dangerous positions and created enough chances to win the game. Vardy should be taking that chance at the end and there’s really no excusing the lack of composure shown there. 

You have to give credit to Southampton, they kept their discipline and made it incredibly difficult for us, although felt the referee was pretty lenient in allowing them to disrupt the flow of the game by taking an age over every throw in, goal kick and staying down for a few seconds after every foul. The ball went out for a goal kick on 90 mins and the clock was nearly at 91 by the time the kick was taken! Maybe he felt guilty following the red card.

Win next week and 10 points from 4 games is a very good return which I think we all would have taken after the West Ham game, tonight’s result does make it a huge game though.

Edited by skolfoxes

34 minutes ago, enmac said:

If ever there was a game to bring Under on, this was it. Something a little unpredictable and he would have been practically unknown to the Southampton players. 

He's practically unknow to us tbf

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, TrickyTrev Benjamin said:

I’ve been following Leicester since 1993 and we needed to win tonight especially against 10 men. I’m sorry but I don’t hark back to the bad old days. We’ve moved on and we expect to win these games. I don’t care 12 years ago we were playing Stockport in league one. Move on my friend. We as a club aren’t the underdogs anymore. We need to deal with this kind of pressure, we wanna be a top club. We need to start acting like one. 

But it takes time, & es have just started our journey, the title was only the kick-start...

Rodgers - squad has only started to build...

your Last sentence threats..are just very Funny and cant be taken serious...smacking your fisys on the table, and trying to be a replacement manager,

Giving his young side the Hair-dryer treatment...only Works in the cabin, Not from  ones-Melting down fans, that Simply forget,Bit

that these so called Self named Top clubs, Dont get it all their way, and also under perform & Kick "should" points away..

They have more players with more experience....This highty,flighty area of the table we are new to and still learning....

That  is what many demanding fans have to learn & understand... Developing a competitive squad takes time..

Its very boring and patronisingg to say...but for a Club with modest finances...Rome wasnt built in a day"...

especially in the way some fans are expecting...

In Football Nobody has the right to be entitled, especially young Babes like yourself...

I have experienced the nearly moments 35 years before your support was born...

Manutd twice if Not Three times reborn, took anything from 5-10 years to realise and create their successfull Epoc in history..

Chelsea,Man.city, nice History of dabbling, but incredible, astronomical finances allowed them to Force their claims...L'pool 3-5 years,then 20years

to lay claim...This period, this age we find ourselves is Not to compare, but we are starting to challenge,

with less Clout than These clubs ever had. In comparison... then Arsenal & Spurs built over generations, After their First break-through...

We have just started our challenge....even if we took the title a few seasons ago,  we still Werent and arent anywhere near that comfortable place of expectation...!!!

Its a Shame many have forgot or Never learned how to just Enjoy the game, or any sport...success & fallbacks...

Hunting for someone to blame, instead accepting, Sport is about tests,trials & tribulations and Never runs to anybodies expected tact...

Even successful business, cant change what happens on the pitch, and neither can bombastic fans...

Media Love a story, es-Player pundits Love a story, But noway for me was last season a failure or Set back...

It was Bloody great...in The PL First Time 5th, with our Real First attempt, with basically a young squad, with a Sprig of experience.

Now with a decimated squad through 90% of our season, Rodgers has got us again into this position...Plus an FA.cup final

I bet at the beginning of the season, you was a doubter...!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1