Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zear0

GTA 3 - The Trilogy

There's a review embargo. Always a bad sign. Sounds like these are basically unfinished with lots of issues. What happened to Rockstar? 

Largely the graphical overhaul looks decent enough, but some looks terrible. WTF is that rain about? And some of those character models? Why'd they turn Denise into fvckin' Yoda?

98a

niayyjgq2ry71.png

And there are LOADS of typos in the in-game signage. Did they use an AI to recreate it? The fvck is "Guitarhenk"? Is that supposed to be "Air Guitars"? "Avaiable"? "Tenerifea"? lol

7101yp926yy71.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=b8e3cb756cd82a97f4ede5015e651a5a392301fc\

Edited by RoboFox
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I've just completed the Demolition Man mission on Vice City, the one with the RC helicopter and the bombs on the building site, I smashed through it easily? I remember it being solid on the PS2, have they toned the difficulty down? Or is 27 year old me better at gaming than 8 year old me?

I think I read somewhere that they added like a minute onto the time limit?

Yeah this looks like complete shit. I'll stick with fond memories of the originals thanks.

Games marketing is totally out of control. Rockstar trying to sell this by constantly referencing GTA5, and talking about "updating it for a modern audience", inferring gameplay overhauls to match the modern games. 

Nah, mate. This is a PS2 game with some shaders and lighting which you're charging £60 for? @Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo had it bang on on the first page.

The fact they've also gone after the mods which people spent years perfecting, and add WAY more functionality and quality of life gameplay improvements is also a total piss take.

Rockstar have gone down the shitter.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Yeah this looks like complete shit. I'll stick with fond memories of the originals thanks.

Games marketing is totally out of control. Rockstar trying to sell this by constantly referencing GTA5, and talking about "updating it for a modern audience", inferring gameplay overhauls to match the modern games. 

Nah, mate. This is a PS2 game with some shaders and lighting which you're charging £60 for? @Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo had it bang on on the first page.

The fact they've also gone after the mods which people spent years perfecting, and add WAY more functionality and quality of life gameplay improvements is also a total piss take.

With you on this, my enthusiasm has plummeted as more and more is revealed as it looks absolutely shite.  The other point you make about the mods leaves a sour taste too as it is just to cover up their own inadequacy's.

Edit: Compare this to the recent Resident Evil remakes and shows how far short they've gone.

Edited by Zear0
Extra thought
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

With you on this, my enthusiasm has plummeted as more and more is revealed as it looks absolutely shite.  The other point you make about the mods leaves a sour taste too as it is just to cover up their own inadequacy's.

Edit: Compare this to the recent Resident Evil remakes and shows how far short they've gone.

Capcom got it spot on with the remakes in that they made them in the same engine that was created for RE7 onwards

If they had redone the trilogy even in the GTA4 engine it would’ve been infinitely better than what they have done now

46 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Utterly ludicrous that you can't play a single player game without connecting to their servers first.  The same issue affects RDR2 as well, I was going to purchase it yesterday because it's currently on sale but then I saw a bunch of people saying they can't even start the game up and, well, fvck that.  Tbf we shouldn't be that surprised by these antics, look at how GTAV has been treated as a cash cow, Rockstar have become the antithesis of the 'stick it to the man' persona they used to have.

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Capcom got it spot on with the remakes in that they made them in the same engine that was created for RE7 onwards

If they had redone the trilogy even in the GTA4 engine it would’ve been infinitely better than what they have done now

they got a company called grove street games to develop this didnt they? probably why it's turned out looking garbage. seems lazy and greedy from rockstar to me

48 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

they got a company called grove street games to develop this didnt they? probably why it's turned out looking garbage. seems lazy and greedy from rockstar to me

Yep, and that companies history before this trilogy was pretty much just mobile ports of games (Ark, Bully, GTA)

9 hours ago, RoboFox said:

There's a review embargo. Always a bad sign. Sounds like these are basically unfinished with lots of issues. What happened to Rockstar? 

Largely the graphical overhaul looks decent enough, but some looks terrible. WTF is that rain about? And some of those character models? Why'd they turn Denise into fvckin' Yoda?

98a

niayyjgq2ry71.png

And there are LOADS of typos in the in-game signage. Did they use an AI to recreate it? The fvck is "Guitarhenk"? Is that supposed to be "Air Guitars"? "Avaiable"? "Tenerifea"? lol

7101yp926yy71.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=b8e3cb756cd82a97f4ede5015e651a5a392301fc\

Rockstar is just name only now, a lot of the original staff have pretty much left and they're basically just using the studios name to shill. I think RDR2 was probably the last hooray tbh as I can see the next GTA being a mess 

On 12/11/2021 at 00:31, Leicester_Loyal said:

I've just completed the Demolition Man mission on Vice City, the one with the RC helicopter and the bombs on the building site, I smashed through it easily? I remember it being solid on the PS2, have they toned the difficulty down? Or is 27 year old me better at gaming than 8 year old me?

Apparently Grove Street Games (who Rockstar have farmed this out to) ported the original game to mobile and have now ported their mobile versions back to console. That's why the missions have extra time to account for the added difficulty of the mobile controls.... but now on a console. This really appears to be money grab to make up for the time it's taking to release a new game.

Biggest cash grab ever Rockstar can do one will never buy another game from them this is not how you treat your legacy.

Still tho I got blue balled to much so i bought the originals on PC and modded them to look better than the "definitive edition"
was just listening to the talkshow on GTA3 and the guy makes a joke about a vegan BBQ and my mind did this flip flop thing where i had to picture being back in 2001,

at the time it was meant as a joke but now a days it's like normal conversation was trippy trying to wrap my head around it.

Edit: 

Just seen this character model lol why does it look like dick dastardly 

image.thumb.png.8565a14d26fc38ad82aea97ae49c0707.png

60s-wacky-races-cartoon-dick-dastardly-a

Edited by LestaFox92

Well this is disappointing, was looking forward to this on the Switch but it sounds like the Switch version is a crappest version of a crap remake.

Anyone played the Switch version? Part of me is thinking that a crap version of GTA 3 and Vice City is still got to be good enough to buy though, right? Right?!!? :(

Edited by Nalis

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Well this is disappointing, was looking forward to this on the Switch but it sounds like the Switch version is a crappest version of a crap remake.

Anyone played the Switch version? Part of me is thinking that a crap version of GTA 3 and Vice City is still got to be good enough to buy though, right? Right?!!? :(

That's the version I'm waiting on. Haven't heard much good about it though.

I believe they are releasing the 3 games separately, so I might wait on that/patch/sale.

On 12/11/2021 at 12:30, RoboFox said:

Been playing San Andreas on Game Pass - the visuals for the most part are improved, but they're so inconsistent. Some textures, sky, water and lighting looking much more realistic looks bizarre against the cartoony character models. Even though it looks like all character models have been updated/redone, some actually look worse somehow. Noticed so many audio glitches (Xbox One) where speech comes in seconds too late so it doesn't sync with subtitles, and then cuts out before the end of cutscenes. A lot of sounds and speech just don't play at all, which is incredibly amateurish. Missing radio songs is a bummer but I would think that this is because labels were demanding far too much for the rights, or in some cases certain artists might have just refused usage

The only areas I've noticed which have been improved:

- slow-down and wheel implementation for weapons/radio selection

- ultra-fast loading times (even on original Xbox One) and load/saving

- more modern controller layout feels a lot more natural in most contexts (although RB for handbrake is ridiculous, and I've noticed a few other instances where some mappings seem off)

- added sat-nav will please some people, but it feels a bit era-inappropriate

Other things I've noticed in my short time with the game so far:

- I seem to remember the NRG-500 was by far the fastest bike (and possibly roadgoing vehicle) in original San Andreas. It feels noticeably slower now, and no longer features the motion blur when you get it up to speed (unless the bike somehow rides faster when you have max skill, but I don't remember this being the case)

- gunplay has in NO WAY improved. CJ still locks onto some targets seemingly at random, even if they are not close by or posing a threat. If you accidentally aim too far to one side CJ will sometimes face the camera and stop shooting any targets 

- locking onto enemies gives them this fat white outline, which I suppose is clear, but looks naff

- the stealth mission in Madd Dogg's mansion - I was trying to play this properly, and was "spotted" by a guard in a different room, completely out of range/eyesight, and I hadn't made a single sound. I've completed GTA SA on PS2 and XBox and never encountered this bug

All in all, pretty damn underwhelming. I'll probably play through the story once more but no way am I paying for the trilogy. I very much doubt this would have been released (in this state anyway) if Sam Houser was still at Rockstar, and it's a shame what was once probably the highest quality game developer out there has slipped like this.* If all these idiots paying for Shark cards in GTA Online could have fvcked off a few years ago, we probably would have had GTA VI and follow-ups to LA Noire and Bully by now, and we instead we get this and another bloody release of GTA V.

*I'm aware that GTA Definitive was "developed" by Grove Street Games (whoever the fvck they are) but old Rockstar would not have worked alongside them or allowed this to be released

• Like 1