Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zear0

GTA 3 - The Trilogy

In the worst kept secret going in gaming for years now, Rockstar are releasing a remaster of GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas.

Release date "later this year" for all consoles and PC and on mobile (if that's your thing) in H1 2022

Personally look forward to replaying these games as they're "peak GTA" for me.  More to do with my age I suspect, but nostalgia gets us all in the end.

Edited by Zear0
typo

8 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Quite looking forward to playing GTA 3 again, I only played Vice City a little bit and never actually played San Adreas

I have had them all on my Steam for a while and been wanting to play them, shall just wait for this instead!

yes because they barely work on steam

3 minutes ago, Beliall said:

yes because they barely work on steam

Probably more to do with more recent operating systems I'd have thought, I played SA and 3 on steam in the Vista days and both worked fine as far as I can recall, dated gameplay features aside.

26 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Probably more to do with more recent operating systems I'd have thought, I played SA and 3 on steam in the Vista days and both worked fine as far as I can recall, dated gameplay features aside.

that plays a part but things like cutscenes are broken as well. 

16 hours ago, LestaFox92 said:

Still remember the release for GTA  3 was only like 10 still got it tho lol HMV was rammed stacks of them flying off the shelfs was such a massive hype around the game going 3D.

Same. I do remember playing the original GTA (including London) on PS1 and then when GTA3 came out I remember being amazed it was 3D.

I'm not a massive gamer but always liked the GTA series, particularity GTA3 and Vice City.

• Like 1

San Andreas is still my favourite game of all time, but I think anyone expecting remakes or even remasters from this package is going to be hugely disappointed. To properly remaster any one of these games would be a huge undertaking with the sheer amount of textures/assets in use, and implementing any big physics overhauls would be really time-consuming (and probably not worth it with projected sales) and could be game-breaking. And this is for 3 games, that will probably be sold at a cut price. Plus the fact that this has been announced without even any teaser footage tells you they haven't exactly put much work into it

This will be a package of the 3 original games*, upscaled to 4K (which will look pretty dreadful with the low-poly count of the assets and blurry textures), maybe some minor bug fixes, slightly clearer audio, and any "graphical enhancements" will be new UI and new lighting effects such as reflections etc, as this is easy to implement across the board. There won't be GTA V physics, when you run someone over it will still be a predetermined animation, you won't be able to free-aim when shooting from a vehicle, gameplay will be exactly how you remember... I would bet that you still drown as soon as you touch water in GTA III. Due to licensing issues as well, you can also expect the soundtracks to be slightly different from the original games, as is usually the case with re-releases

*Just pray they are not using the iPhone/Android releases as the source, as per the Xbox 360/PS3 "remasters". These somehow looked worse than the originals with the tacky reflections, and introduced new game-breaking bugs

• Like 2

On 09/10/2021 at 10:48, Legend_in_blue said:

We need The Getaway as a remake.  That was fantastic back in the day.

Absolutely loved everything about The Getaway. The story, controls, main character, missions were all great. Would love to play it again. Probably be terrible now lol 

On 10/10/2021 at 10:19, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

San Andreas is still my favourite game of all time, but I think anyone expecting remakes or even remasters from this package is going to be hugely disappointed. To properly remaster any one of these games would be a huge undertaking with the sheer amount of textures/assets in use, and implementing any big physics overhauls would be really time-consuming (and probably not worth it with projected sales) and could be game-breaking. And this is for 3 games, that will probably be sold at a cut price. Plus the fact that this has been announced without even any teaser footage tells you they haven't exactly put much work into it

This will be a package of the 3 original games*, upscaled to 4K (which will look pretty dreadful with the low-poly count of the assets and blurry textures), maybe some minor bug fixes, slightly clearer audio, and any "graphical enhancements" will be new UI and new lighting effects such as reflections etc, as this is easy to implement across the board. There won't be GTA V physics, when you run someone over it will still be a predetermined animation, you won't be able to free-aim when shooting from a vehicle, gameplay will be exactly how you remember... I would bet that you still drown as soon as you touch water in GTA III. Due to licensing issues as well, you can also expect the soundtracks to be slightly different from the original games, as is usually the case with re-releases

*Just pray they are not using the iPhone/Android releases as the source, as per the Xbox 360/PS3 "remasters". These somehow looked worse than the originals with the tacky reflections, and introduced new game-breaking bugs

It's apparently being developed using the Unreal engine so surely means that the graphics will be updated considerably. R* / Take-Two were going around taking down videos of fan-developed SA using the Unreal engine... It looks pretty damn good, and you'd expect it to be pretty close to the finished product if they're getting arsey about it. 

I agree though, it'd be weird to have a nice shiny version of the games but the same ropey Renderware car / character physics, especially when we've been used to the RAGE physics since GTA4. 

It's also shit that Take-Two are pulling all of the previous / original versions of the games this week. It's important for game preservation and like you say, potentially much of the original soundtracks etc. will be lost.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

It's apparently being developed using the Unreal engine so surely means that the graphics will be updated considerably. R* / Take-Two were going around taking down videos of fan-developed SA using the Unreal engine... It looks pretty damn good, and you'd expect it to be pretty close to the finished product if they're getting arsey about it. 

I agree though, it'd be weird to have a nice shiny version of the games but the same ropey Renderware car / character physics, especially when we've been used to the RAGE physics since GTA4. 

It's also shit that Take-Two are pulling all of the previous / original versions of the games this week. It's important for game preservation and like you say, potentially much of the original soundtracks etc. will be lost.

Holy shit - well... if it looks like that, but with new models/textures and physics, then GTA San Andreas Remastered is already better than GTA VI would be imo 

You're right about game preservation, but I suppose it will never be difficult to get hold of the PS2/PC original versions as there was so many physical copies sold and will always be playable offline. I suppose people who never played the originals (especially if they were too young at the time) would see these as laughable by today's standards, but GTA III pretty much invented the genre we have today, VC and SA built on the format massively. It's the sense of exploration and the perfect early 90's vibe that made San Andreas my favourite. I still find it hard to believe GTA V's map is so many times bigger than GTA SA, the latter just always struck me with brimming of different areas and had so much diversity

I bought a package of the older games that were ported to PS4 a while ago. They're really frustrating to play tbh, the movement and angling the camera is really clunky. Aiming is a pain.

Hopefully any remastered versions tweak it so it's far more playable.

Wow I was completely wrong, looks like a lot of effort has gone in, and I'm glad the visuals have been tastefully updated and they haven't tried to go too realistic. Be interesting to see how the "GTA V style shooting controls" handle, and if they extend to in-vehicle shooting

Will definitely be buying

• Like 3