Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

£40m is to low. We should make Spurs work a bit harder than that or ensure that there's a sell on fee attached. I get wanting his wages off the books asap as he's on £100k a week, only excuse for accepting £40m if it facilitates immediate signings the squad needs.

Glad to see it's happening. Not too bothered about the fee being below the 50m he's realistically worth - we lost our bargaining power when he and the rest of the squad embarrassed themselves this season. He is the most visible public face of our relegated side, and that will unfortunately be his legacy, especially given he didn't really contribute anything of note to the FA Cup win.

I'd say thanks for the memories, but which actual classic memories was he part of? That goal against Watford was decent, and I guess his free kick in the 9-0. Other than that I'm genuinely struggling. Perhaps he got a few key match winners or key assists during the lockdown season, but in hindsight his impressive numbers were mostly flat track bully stats against exactly the sort of fodder we eventually ended up joining.

Seems a nice enough guy, for real. I've never bought into the media scrutiny of him being another Grealish type playboy. But what matters really is that he never turned up in the big games, coasted for months at times, believed the hype and ultimately bottled it time and time again. Spurs will suit him.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kenny said:

Wonder if the low winks fee is tied up with this to reduce the payment to Norwich.

The Winks fee should be a low one anyway.

He is unwanted at Tottenham, one year left on his deal and I believe we are the only suitors. Hopefully the price reflects the situation and the fee is nominal like £2m. We need to start behaving financially like a top Championship club with wages and transfer fees and not throwing £15m and £80k a week like it's standard.

6 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Glad to see it's happening. Not too bothered about the fee being below the 50m he's realistically worth - we lost our bargaining power when he and the rest of the squad embarrassed themselves this season. He is the most visible public face of our relegated side, and that will unfortunately be his legacy, especially given he didn't really contribute anything of note to the FA Cup win.

I'd say thanks for the memories, but which actual classic memories was he part of? That goal against Watford was decent, and I guess his free kick in the 9-0. Other than that I'm genuinely struggling. Perhaps he got a few key match winners or key assists during the lockdown season, but in hindsight his impressive numbers were mostly flat track bully stats against exactly the sort of fodder we eventually ended up joining.

Seems a nice enough guy, for real. I've never bought into the media scrutiny of him being another Grealish type playboy. But what matters really is that he never turned up in the big games, coasted for months at times, believed the hype and ultimately bottled it time and time again. Spurs will suit him.

Spurs have increased their bid... 

Paperwork just received. 

Screenshot_20230628_101949_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox_edit_1744165429825527.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

Interesting exercise. I wonder who you'd rate ahead of him among the AM's we've had over the years?

I don't happen to think he's an all time great, but he's in the conversation for a place in the 'all time XI' and surely would make a match day all time squad?

I've been watching Leicester since the 1980's and if I was to pick an all time XI of that time he definitely makes it. Schmeichel, Ricardo, Kante, Maddison, Mahrez and Vardy would be all certainties. The other five are up for debate but honourable mentions to Izzet, Lennon, Heskey, Lineker, Draper and Barnes.

20 minutes ago, fkas said:

£40m is to low. We should make Spurs work a bit harder than that or ensure that there's a sell on fee attached. I get wanting his wages off the books asap as he's on £100k a week, only excuse for accepting £40m if it facilitates immediate signings the squad needs.

They can't win can they, some on here demand more money, some just want to cash in almost regardless to start assembling something that vaguely  resembles a squad to start working with.

They won't buy much before they sell because if they then do get lumbered with the players, I suspect there could be FFP issues again. 

If we were still in the Premiership then 55m+ might have been attainable  ... but we're not so tough. In the circumstances that we're in, that all chairman will be fully aware of, 40m + add ons is about right imo. We've just got to suck it up. He's a very good player but not a top player that could get into a top team unless he gets the right coach, is able to change some of his play and ways and importantly, stay fit.

Get him gone, crack on!

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

He'll go down as one of our best ever PL players. It's not his fault half of his tenure here coincided with Rodgers tanking the club and the Board inexplicably letting us get relegated. He was still part of a team that won the FA cup, and got 2 top 6 finishes and european campaigns. 

Scored lots of briliant goals and freekicks for us

• Like 1

£40m feels like a kick in the teeth.

Only plus side is that accepting £40m now means we have time to plan on spending it rather than holding out for more in a month or so and losing out on potential replacements.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Painful that a player who got 19 PL goal involvements last season will leave for less than half of the Declan Rice fee.

West Ham are not in the same negotiating troublesome position Leicester is first and foremost. 

Secondly, Rice is a top notch player that is in demand by more than one top club. Maddison is neither a top player in the same league as Rice and at best, there are only two lesser clubs that would possibly fight for his signature. 

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I've been watching Leicester since the 1980's and if I was to pick an all time XI of that time he definitely makes it. Schmeichel, Ricardo, Kante, Maddison, Mahrez and Vardy would be all certainties. The other five are up for debate but honourable mentions to Izzet, Lennon, Heskey, Lineker, Draper and Barnes.

I go back a bit further and would probably choose Banks over Kasper but that's a marginal call. With you on peak Ricky, Kante, Mahrez and Vardy.

Maddison would vie with McAllister for a no.10 role for me, if we went with a modern 4231 formation. In  a 442 he wouldn't be close to the team, which would have Kante and a 6/8, such as Izzet, Drinky, Tielemans, Draper, Sammels.

The other certainty for me would be Weller. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

They can't win can they, some on here demand more money, some just want to cash in almost regardless to start assembling something that vaguely  resembles a squad to start working with.

They won't buy much before they sell because if they then do get lumbered with the players, I suspect there could be FFP issues again. 

If we were still in the Premiership then 55m+ might have been attainable  ... but we're not so tough. In the circumstances that we're in, that all chairman will be fully aware of, 40m + add ons is about right imo. We've just got to suck it up. He's a very good player but not a top player that could get into a top team unless he gets the right coach, is able to change some of his play and ways and importantly, stay fit.

Get him gone, crack on!

I just hope that the add ons don’t involve Spurs winning anything or finishing in the top four. I’m pretty sure that neither will happen during Maddison’s time there, especially now that it looks certain that Kane will leave. I can see them threatening the top 8 but I honestly don’t expect much more than mid table obscurity from them.

A bigger club, stadium, wages etc., but in many ways (like Tielemans) it’s a bit of a sideways move from where we were/could’ve been had we had a squad full of committed players with the right management. 

• Like 1

Just now, oadby.fox said:

I just hope that the add ons don’t involve Spurs winning anything or finishing in the top four. I’m pretty sure that neither will happen during Maddison’s time there, especially now that it looks certain that Kane will leave. I can see them threatening the top 8 but I honestly don’t expect much more than mid table obscurity from them.

A bigger club, stadium, wages etc., but in many ways (like Tielemans) it’s a bit of a sideways move from where we were/could’ve been had we had a squad full of committed players with the right management. 

Agree with all of that. Perhaps if Maddison and Tielemans had shown a bit more fight and commitment, they may have achieved more than what they have. Legends in their own heads I think. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I go back a bit further and would probably choose Banks over Kasper but that's a marginal call. With you on peak Ricky, Kante, Mahrez and Vardy.

Maddison would vie with McAllister for a no.10 role for me, if we went with a modern 4231 formation. In  a 442 he wouldn't be close to the team, which would have Kante and a 6/8, such as Izzet, Drinky, Tielemans, Draper, Sammels.

The other certainty for me would be Weller. 

oh, and Nish!

10 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

He'll go down as one of our best ever PL players. It's not his fault half of his tenure here coincided with Rodgers tanking the club and the Board inexplicably letting us get relegated. He was still part of a team that won the FA cup, and got 2 top 6 finishes and european campaigns. 

Scored lots of briliant goals and freekicks for us

He was a very good player for us but not one of the best ever by a long way imo. Yes, he did take some brilliant free kicks but also a lot of poor one's and absolutely shite corners 🤣. Unequivocally lacks the consistency of a top player. 

• Like 2

It doesn't matter what fee we get for Maddison what matters is the total transfer fees brought in. With him gone early we are in a better bargaining position for anyone that comes in for Barnes and Castagne as we aren’t as desperate for the money. We then may make that £10 mil back lost on this valuation as both have longer contracts than Maddison.

• Like 4

Just now, Joefox said:

A player of his quality should be fetching at least 60 million tbh in todays market. I rate him highly and think he’ll go on to be one of the best players in the PL.

It's what other teams chairmen think that counts in consultation perhaps with the preferred playing styles of their managers. He simply, as he is wouldn't fit in to some of their plans. They also know we're skint and desperate. 

3 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

It doesn't matter what fee we get for Maddison what matters is the total transfer fees brought in. With him gone early we are in a better bargaining position for anyone that comes in for Barnes and Castagne as we aren’t as desperate for the money. We then may make that £10 mil back lost on this valuation as both have longer contracts than Maddison.

Hadn't thought of that but very true.

12 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Agree with all of that. Perhaps if Maddison and Tielemans had shown a bit more fight and commitment, they may have achieved more than what they have. Legends in their own heads I think. 

Tielemans has signed a 4 year contract at Villa there's every chance we can finish above them again by the end of that contract 

• Like 1