Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

3 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

It's really not a particularly complicated debate. 

The original premise was simply: "Maddison is among our best ever PL era players" 

Given the stats, I think most Leicester fans would agree he belongs in that conversation. I'm not saying he's the best or better than Vardy or Mahrez, just simply saying that he's among our best in the PL era, which I think even the simple analysis of total G+A helps to prove. 

You see, I think when people start talking about the 'best' of anything, it's usually a gross simplification of an idea which has loads of complexities. Is 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' the best Beatles song because the stats said it had the most success, or it often comes near the top of fan polls? It's just taking one or two facts from something which has to be a more complicated measurement. But plenty of people, usually those who don't listen to much music, just go with those two stats and settle.

What I'm saying is, there's more than one or two ways of judging these things. Looking at someone's goals and assists and saying 'the stats don't lie' ignores a whole lot of other very relevant information. Especially with Maddison, who enjoyed a disproportionate amount of his success in moments which either weren't as critical as others, or weren't even especially helpful to the outcome of matches (e.g. when his goals this season). Throw in a relegation which he played his part in, and the picture is less straightforward. Or maybe you're an 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' sort of guy!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

You see, I think when people start talking about the 'best' of anything, it's usually a gross simplification of an idea which has loads of complexities. Is 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' the best Beatles song because the stats said it had the most success, or it often comes near the top of fan polls? It's just taking one or two facts from something which has to be a more complicated measurement. But plenty of people, usually those who don't listen to much music, just go with those two stats and settle.

What I'm saying is, there's more than one or two ways of judging these things. Looking at someone's goals and assists and saying 'the stats don't lie' ignores a whole lot of other very relevant information. Especially with Maddison, who enjoyed a disproportionate amount of his success in moments which either weren't as critical as others, or weren't even especially helpful to the outcome of matches (e.g. when his goals this season). Throw in a relegation which he played his part in, and the picture is less straightforward. Or maybe you're an 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' sort of guy!

I’m not ignoring those subtleties. They’re there for sure. 

All im saying is, they don’t particularly apply because the original premise wasn’t “Maddison is our best PL player” 

It was “Maddison is among our best PL players” 

There’s a lot more debate to be had on the former than the latter. 

I just don’t think it’s particularly unreasonable to say that he’s part of that conversation, given his quality and stats 

8 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

They can't win can they, some on here demand more money, some just want to cash in almost regardless to start assembling something that vaguely  resembles a squad to start working with.

They won't buy much before they sell because if they then do get lumbered with the players, I suspect there could be FFP issues again. 

If we were still in the Premiership then 55m+ might have been attainable  ... but we're not so tough. In the circumstances that we're in, that all chairman will be fully aware of, 40m + add ons is about right imo. We've just got to suck it up. He's a very good player but not a top player that could get into a top team unless he gets the right coach, is able to change some of his play and ways and importantly, stay fit.

Get him gone, crack on!

We only have so many assets with which to generate funds. We've got to sell them for as much as possible. I did also say that the only reason we should accept £40m was if it was allowing for us to make immediate signings and judging by the Winks situation that appears to be the case. Well that and some discount is probably being done on Winks because of the Maddison deal.

As an aside the Daily Heil have started suggesting the fee is more like £45m which would be much closer to what I'd consider a fair price in the circumstances.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I’m not ignoring those subtleties. They’re there for sure. 

All im saying is, they don’t particularly apply because the original premise wasn’t “Maddison is our best PL player” 

It was “Maddison is among our best PL players” 

There’s a lot more debate to be had on the former than the latter. 

I just don’t think it’s particularly unreasonable to say that he’s part of that conversation, given his quality and stats 

Oh no. Like I said originally, I was looking for a way to be argumentative. You're clearly right about him.

• Like 1

Wow I thought he was a top player and he signs for Spurs. I can forgive the back pass against Bournmouth and the penalty miss v Everton . But Spurs - not even in Europe . I hope the FA cup win is your only trophy. Spurs !!!!!!  

1 hour ago, Sir Shep said:

£40M seems cheap but seeing as we have rudderless at the controls I'm just glad he wasn't traded in for a prawn sandwich. 

I know what you’re saying, but I think it’s the second highest fee ever paid for a player from a Championship club.

Only Ake to Man City from Bournemouth went for more (I think).

• Like 1

Declan Rice for £100 million, makes this look like daylight robbery. 

It’s just another thing to bring home the situation we’re in, all so easily avoidable 6 months ago but here we are. 

• Like 2