Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Collectors/Collecting

I'm not a collector but I'm interested to know who here collects, or archives items and why? Is it a personal passion? An interest in a specific theme?

The reason I ask is, we have had a number of Marvel books/comics and some DVD's donated as well as several Japanese anime cartoon books, very intricately illustrated, that have attracted a lot of interest. Some have gone to eBay as they will get a better price than being on the shop floor.

Not just those but there's a few people that come in regularly and check for collectable bric-a-brac. Must be either to collect or "buy to sell on", I imagine.

Any decent book about Leicester City and I will have to have it. Used to collect the programmes but it was taking up too much room. My wife is lovely but have stuff like this all over the place drives her up the wall. I do tend to collect lots of non fiction books as well. I also still like physical copies of films and music so lots these. If I had the money I could easily collect militaria particularly from WW 1.

If there is a game series I like I tend to collect quite a lot of stuff for it:

I have at least a copy of every single Pokemon game, and will buy all versions of a generation - like I have red, blue, yellow, green - silver, gold, crystal etc.

I have at least a copy of every single Resident Evil game

The Last of Us games I have loads of the memorabilia and all the collectors editions, special editions etc.

Some of the above mentioned will still be sealed copies as well, I even have a few of the "review" versions of games that get sent out to reviewers and shops for display setups etc. (they were interesting to come across on ebay!)

I also have about 5 years worth of National Geographics in the attic as well

Edited by moore_94

On the pretentious side of things, fine print books.

For what I suspect is far more interesting topic for members, I am a retro games collector.  Mainly in the collection are N64, SNES, Mega Drive and Dreamcast (I've got every single Dreamcast game that was released in the UK) titles but have some other odds and sods.  The collection has stalled lately due to my MiSTer system scratching that itch, but a harmless hobby.  I will post a snap when I return to the Leicestershire Alps.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

For me it is vintage valve radios.

I like refurbishing them, getting them to work and reading a little about the history of the companies, most of which in my collection were British, and visiting fellow enthusiasts sites to read of their collections.

There are also several radio restorers with YouTube channels that I like watching.

Only trouble is with my collection, is they take up quite a bit of room.

That said, if there's anyone on here with an old set in their loft or garage, PM me but don't tell Mrs. FFF.

Have you heard of EMG. One of my interests Is WW1 flying aces. One of these Harold Balfour Davey set up this company which I understand were quite a name in radio and gramophones

2 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Have you heard of EMG. One of my interests Is WW1 flying aces. One of these Harold Balfour Davey set up this company which I understand were quite a name in radio and gramophones

New one on me Foxdiamond, certainly regarding domestic radios.

I see there's quite a bit of info relating to EMG radiology on t'internet however.

9 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

New one on me Foxdiamond, certainly regarding domestic radios.

I see there's quite a bit of info relating to EMG radiology on t'internet however.

Cheers  Free Falling Foxes. It seems Davey was one of the lucky aces to survive the war and have a successful career after.

I used to collect the older Noritakè chinaware sets. Some beautiful hand painted pieces. The company is in Japan and they love their sunsets and lakes. It’s all hand painted. We’re a lot of allied servicemen that brought sets over after the Second World War and they were all stamp marked on the bottom with different stamp marks indicating their age.

some examples of sets I used to own ..

2EA188F8-0785-4FB0-BBCA-FD420DE39978.jpeg

8C6899C4-D279-4B6C-8C0E-1D7F449EBF05.jpeg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

On the pretentious side of things, fine print books.

For what I suspect is far more interesting topic for members, I am a retro games collector.  Mainly in the collection are N64, SNES, Mega Drive and Dreamcast (I've got every single Dreamcast game that was released in the UK) titles but have some other odds and sods.  The collection has stalled lately due to my MiSTer system scratching that itch, but a harmless hobby.  I will post a snap when I return to the Leicestershire Alps.

I'm similar. GameCube is next on the list!!

Can't get my N64 working on a modern TV though. Really frustrating.

Not much of a collection when I only have one thing but I love anything made in Leicester or Leicestershire, especially if it’s from the 20th century.

I’ve got a Gents clock but does anybody know of any other manufacturers (besides Imperial typewriters)?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Not much of a collection when I only have one thing but I love anything made in Leicester or Leicestershire, especially if it’s from the 20th century.

I’ve got a Gents clock but does anybody know of any other manufacturers (besides Imperial typewriters)?

Premier drums

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I’ve got a Gents clock

Me too!  I actually work for Gent too, amongst other brands…. I design and develop life safety systems (fire alarms!)…. Gent went on to make them after the Quartz revolution…. They’re still a hugely successful brand and have a large R&D facility here in Leicester (factory now gone)

this is an old slave clock…. Ran by a master clock keeping time across the hospital/ school: factory synchronised…

It’s an easy enough task to convert them to quartz (the irony!)

JW1WyxY.jpg

Triumph motorcycles?

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Zear0 said:

I used to collect games but found it a burden so got rid of most of it. Like an idiot, about 5 years ago I sold 2 boxed complete Master Systems, 100+ boxed games (with instructions), 3 sealed official controllers and a couple of the rare card games for about £150 as I couldn't be bothered to do it all separately. God knows what it would fetch in today's market

If you're interested I still have a Sega Saturn with 12 or so games and a light gun?

Everyone does on some level I’m sure but I collect editions of films and tv. Specifically criterion collection copies of classic films. 

It’s a fairly reasonable thing to get into as it’s something most people want to get rid of these days with the the advent of streaming. Spend hours looking in charity shops for finds. 

• Like 1

I passionately despise collections and collectors, those who buy a useful item then leave it in a box thinking it'll increase in value. What a waste, based in greed and stupidity. Don't get me started on storage units :mad:

• Like 1