Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Collectors/Collecting

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

I passionately despise collections and collectors, those who buy a useful item then leave it in a box thinking it'll increase in value. What a waste, based in greed and stupidity. Don't get me started on storage units :mad:

Each to their own!I try to attend as many dart event's as possible and would miss a city game to go to a few(Matchplay,WC,World Cup.)To be honest I'm more into darts than football!

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

I passionately despise collections and collectors, those who buy a useful item then leave it in a box thinking it'll increase in value. What a waste, based in greed and stupidity. Don't get me started on storage units :mad:

That’s kinda weird.  Think you’re talking about people who collect solely for the purpose of resale (speculators).  I think most on here collect for the love of certain items.  Selling would be unthinkable.

Anyways, I used to collect comics many many years ago.

Now I collect statues based on comic characters.
They do not sit in boxes, nor do I even have most of the boxes anymore (they’d be way to big to store, even if I wanted to).  All are displayed.

Edited by marbles
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, marbles said:

That’s kinda weird.  Think you’re talking about people who collect solely for the purpose of resale (speculators).  I think most on here collect for the love of certain items.  Selling would be unthinkable.

Anyways, I used to collect comics many many years ago.

Now I collect statues based on comic characters.
They do not sit in boxes, nor do I even have most of the boxes anymore (they’d be way to big to store, even if I wanted to).  All are displayed.

Did/do you read them?

Out of interest and there is of course no need to reply...Why do you collect the statues?

I collect model planes.

This is a Dinky diecast metal Stuka.

My collection stretches to one plane, bought two weeks ago while drunk on eBay following an alcohol-fuelled conversation with my wife.

I think I’ll soon be advertising it on eBay to help someone start their Dinky Toy diecast plane collection.

236A3688-C047-4DF0-85F3-EDE1417B04AC.jpeg.b111087e0afeea20da03007bbbb8569b.jpeg

Edited by Daggers
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I used to collect games but found it a burden so got rid of most of it. Like an idiot, about 5 years ago I sold 2 boxed complete Master Systems, 100+ boxed games (with instructions), 3 sealed official controllers and a couple of the rare card games for about £150 as I couldn't be bothered to do it all separately. God knows what it would fetch in today's market

If you're interested I still have a Sega Saturn with 12 or so games and a light gun?

Sounds like some dream stuff. I snoop around car boots as people chuck this stuff and it's absolute gold (for me anyway). 

If I get a new console I'll never see another dawn, the collection is an area of domestic dispute... Fortunately the MiSTer has a Saturn core since January so that corner is covered! 

Not to derail this excellent thread, but light guns are a sad loss to gaming. In my nerd cave I do have a CRT screen for that purpose. Not a soul on earth who isn't excited to play Point Blank. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Fortunately the MiSTer has a Saturn

Who's the lucky feller? lol 

7 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Not to derail this excellent thread, but light guns are a sad loss to gaming. In my nerd cave I do have a CRT screen for that purpose. Not a soul on earth who isn't excited to play Point Blank. 

Yeah I used to love Point Blank - think I paid £90 pre-order with the G-Con when I was 11 (about a year's worth of pocket money, totally worth it). The RPG mode was bags of fun

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Did/do you read them?

Out of interest and there is of course no need to reply...Why do you collect the statues?

I read every last one of them.  Saved them for years, rereading from time to time.  Then when my daughter was born, we needed the extra room - so I saved some and donated the rest to a church’s youth group.

The statues started out with one around 7 years ago.  I really liked the look of it and decided to buy it.  Then I was hooked.  I have around a dozen larger pieces, and another dozen smaller ones. They are all out on display.  Like I said, none are stored away and I would never think of selling one.

Edited by marbles
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Everyone does on some level I’m sure but I collect editions of films and tv. Specifically criterion collection copies of classic films. 

It’s a fairly reasonable thing to get into as it’s something most people want to get rid of these days with the the advent of streaming. Spend hours looking in charity shops for finds. 

Criterion is great.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Chance would be a fine thing, life would be much simpler...

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Worth a look

I read up about it, seems pretty cool but very niche - software emulation for the most part is pretty spot-on with older systems these days, and surely most people who want to play the vintage games want the original systems to play them on? I dunno

I'm an avid collector of various different things, including old computers, which I repair if possible, and then install old Windows or Linux operating systems on them. At the last count, there were over 30 in the house. The dilemma of collecting anything in large quantities is that you become increasingly isolated from each individual part. Also, building up the collection is often an end in itself, so once it's complete, it can be difficult to maintain much interest in it.