Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Football Manager 2023

2 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

My issue is you can't play them all 😂, out of interest do you find players not in the first team develop better on loan or in your own youth set up?

Nothing better than one of those random youths who didn't look up to much, randomly becoming a world beater.

So, assuming you have somebody at your club that can accurately judge potential - nothing is really random. I don't want to teach you to suck eggs, I'm happy to go in to detail and how best to spot the players that are likely to develop if you like.

But to answer your actual question - there are obviously variables here but under 18 coaching apparently has more weight on development than match experience and the reverse is true after 18. Basically, if you have a youth player and all you do is just leave him "to rot" in your under 18s until he turns pro, there's nothing really wrong with that. Obviously the quality of coaching and training facilities at your club will have an impact on whether he's better with you than on loan.

Once they hit 18 you want to be getting them as much match experience as possible but, again, the level they're playing at and the standards of training at the club play a part. If I think a player is going to be in my first team eventually and he's good enough right now to be at very least a rotation option / impact sub then I tend to keep them with me. If a club wants to loan them and will actually play them as a first teamer that's at a solid level then I'll send them out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

So, assuming you have somebody at your club that can accurately judge potential - nothing is really random. I don't want to teach you to suck eggs, I'm happy to go in to detail and how best to spot the players that are likely to develop if you like.

But to answer your actual question - there are obviously variables here but under 18 coaching apparently has more weight on development than match experience and the reverse is true after 18. Basically, if you have a youth player and all you do is just leave him "to rot" in your under 18s until he turns pro, there's nothing really wrong with that. Obviously the quality of coaching and training facilities at your club will have an impact on whether he's better with you than on loan.

Once they hit 18 you want to be getting them as much match experience as possible but, again, the level they're playing at and the standards of training at the club play a part. If I think a player is going to be in my first team eventually and he's good enough right now to be at very least a rotation option / impact sub then I tend to keep them with me. If a club wants to loan them and will actually play them as a first teamer that's at a solid level then I'll send them out.

Yeah I've never really looked in to when's the best time to actually send players out to aid development, aware your own and other clubs facilities and coaching have a say. I'm Brommapojkarna, so there's probably little benefit loaning anyone very young out, and I'll always start the best kids anyway and give any still at the club a game where possible.

4 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Yeah I've never really looked in to when's the best time to actually send players out to aid development, aware your own and other clubs facilities and coaching have a say. I'm Brommapojkarna, so there's probably little benefit loaning anyone very young out, and I'll always start the best kids anyway and give any still at the club a game where possible.

Yeah see the difference between myself and a lot of the other regulars in this thread these days is that I don't really tend to mix it in the poverty leagues like you lot do haha.

But the same basics are there, get them match experience at the highest level possible and they should progress but it's not so important before 18.

Even before 18 though, exposure to first team football obviously will help. If you get a 16 year old and you play him every week, on top of having good coaching, and he's in good form and his morale is up and he's putting in great performances for you then he's going to rocket up in his attributes pretty quickly. 

34 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah see the difference between myself and a lot of the other regulars in this thread these days is that I don't really tend to mix it in the poverty leagues like you lot do haha.

But the same basics are there, get them match experience at the highest level possible and they should progress but it's not so important before 18.

Even before 18 though, exposure to first team football obviously will help. If you get a 16 year old and you play him every week, on top of having good coaching, and he's in good form and his morale is up and he's putting in great performances for you then he's going to rocket up in his attributes pretty quickly. 

These guy's have the best youth set up in Sweden pretty much, and you can't loan out until 17 so I'll hold back a few until they turn 18 at least.  

My starting team is made up of 16 and 17 year olds pretty much, just won the second tier and they've all already shot up to be good enough for the top flight. 

Edited by Tommy Fresh

Gonna take me a while to get these to being anything like a good place to develop. I had a bit of a transfer policy of signing under 23s but I've abolished it because it gets you nowhere in this league. To me it's pointless until you can start selling them for good money, but I've sold a player to Molde who was starting every game and been lucky to negotiate them up to £60k. It's peanuts relative to what you get anyway, I'll be given something like £150k transfer budget. I'm gonna focus on the prospects once I hit the top tier.

Although that may be coming sooner than planned. Won the 3rd tier in my first season, second season we were largely shit, totally scabbed survival, didn't win an away game all season and only stayed out of the relegation play-offs on goal difference. This season, my third, I expected to be fighting the bottom again but I've gone a bit mad on loanees, brought in a couple of blatant upgrades (including an entirely new defence and keeper) and we're somehow top of the league after 17 games (just 13 left). To be honest while I'm quite good at putting together a competitive side in the short term I think we'd get absolutely panned if we somehow saw this through and got promoted. We're miles off being good enough. I don't think my squad's even better than about the bottom third of this league, I'm only 6th on the xG table, we just keep staying in games and pinching a goal. Got a French striker called Elias Filet who has been really decent, another French midfielder called Eden Massouema who again, very steady for this league, Zak Vyner of Bristol City. We'd be pretty drab to watch but we're bizarrely effective.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 1

I've not played FM for a years now (as soon as I graduated I suppose) but I usually preferred to develop players in house as much as possible. You have more control of their training and they're more refined that way.

2000 minutes playing in a lower, or even unplayable, league really won't do much good compared to say, 800 minutes playing in the right postion, developing the attributes you want with better facilities and coaching.

I've decided I'm going to make Holstein Kiel champions of Europe for no other reason than I like their kit. 

I enjoy German's complete and total lack of registration / work permit laws so I'm going to make Kiel the new Donetsk and sign about 90% Brazilians. 

Edit: apparently they have Fiete Arp who was a ridiculous Bayern wonderkid a couple versions ago!? I guess he flopped then!? 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

I've not played FM for a years now (as soon as I graduated I suppose) but I usually preferred to develop players in house as much as possible. You have more control of their training and they're more refined that way.

2000 minutes playing in a lower, or even unplayable, league really won't do much good compared to say, 800 minutes playing in the right postion, developing the attributes you want with better facilities and coaching.

The fact I'm in Norway means I don't think it'll take too mammoth an effort to get producing wonderkids here. Some the ones coming through already at other clubs are outrageous, proper feel that they're the new Belgium playing this.

On Kiel, they used to have this forward who would score past me virtually every game without fail. Janni Serra or something like that. Absolute nightmare.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I've decided I'm going to make Holstein Kiel champions of Europe for no other reason than I like their kit. 

I enjoy German's complete and total lack of registration / work permit laws so I'm going to make Kiel the new Donetsk and sign about 90% Brazilians. 

Edit: apparently they have Fiete Arp who was a ridiculous Bayern wonderkid a couple versions ago!? I guess he flopped then!? 

Kits have so much sway over picking a side don't they 😂, sometimes I find myself put off playing in a nation because the silverware looks shite

18 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Kits have so much sway over picking a side don't they 😂, sometimes I find myself put off playing in a nation because the silverware looks shite

Hahaha I've never been that picky (as in trophies.) But yeah you gotta have a good kit and badge combo. 

I'm not actually keen on the KSV badge but the kit is lush and I like their tidy little ground by the sea. 

If a team I like has a shit kit I usually just make my own tbh. 

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Hahaha I've never been that picky (as in trophies.) But yeah you gotta have a good kit and badge combo. 

I'm not actually keen on the KSV badge but the kit is lush and I like their tidy little ground by the sea. 

If a team I like has a shit kit I usually just make my own tbh. 

I wasn't prior to downloading the trophy pack a few years back, but some countries do have some really atrocious trophies.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

There was a video a while back, I can't find it now but Rostock fans were throwing fish at the Kiel fans chanting "fisch, fisch, fisch" at them lol 

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

What on lol lol

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2017/10/16/16481770/dfb-investigation-flying-throwing-fish-carl-zeiss-jena-hansa-rostock

lol lol lol lol lol

• Haha 1

Have I missed something again?

Playing the latest version with Bayern Munich and I know there’s the winter break in Germany.

A load of my players are playing international games throughout Nov and Dec during 2022 but not once does the game allude to ‘the world cup’.

Does FM not recognise the Qatar World Cup on account of human rights issues etc?

TIA

20 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Yes Fiete Arp was a strange one at Bayern. His stats weren’t brilliant, yet his value was ridiculously big and he was deemed ‘a wonderkid’. 
As you say, he never progressed at all. 

so, the Zealand NewGan AI generated face pack is pretty awesome, bit fiddly to install but simple enough if you follow the guide, and the results are well worth it. these pics are from my season 2 current save,

image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

highly recommended 

https://fm-base.co.uk/resources/newgan-facepack.1266/

Edited by Beliall

3 minutes ago, Beliall said:

so, the Zealand NewGan AI generated face pack is pretty awesome, bit fiddly to install but simple enough if you follow the guide, and the results are well worth it. these pics are from my season 2 current save,

image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

highly recommended 

https://fm-base.co.uk/resources/newgan-facepack.1266/

Oldest looking 15 and 16 year old I've ever seen!

• Haha 1

We did it. We're promoted to the Eliteserien. Stumbled over the line somewhat with a couple of late defeats but saved ourselves by beating a terrible Kongsvinger at home.

image.thumb.png.972ba0f75b340373dd5f815201d90c84.png

Sandefjord won the cup - amazingly their 2nd in 3 years despite going down in the first season and still not being back up by the time of the second. While it's a funny story I can't help but think that's only going to screw me in the long run as they damage our coefficient.

My reward upon promotion is moving 5 hours away to Tromso, having to play at Tromsdalen's ground as it actually holds more than the minimum requirement (3,000). A slight piss take as there's actually a 4th tier side in Alta, called Bossekop, who have a ground that holds 4,750.

Objective is survival.

Finally got round to starting my second season with Brommapojkarna, tell you what it's a lot harder this year with promoted sides, the past few editions you just flew by once you had that good first season. Although my opening 5 games were against probably the best 5 teams, which is probably why I struggled as well. Got the usual mardy arse fans and board reactions though, which seems unlikely considering these are the definition of a yo yo club, and the oldest player at the club is 22.