Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

North v South.

Just seen the new Chelsea chairman is saying he'd like there to be a North of England v South of England All Stars match.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/sep/14/chelsea-todd-boehly-premier-league-north-v-south-all-star-match

Ridiculous idea but what side would Leicester players feature on? Who would get in?

Probably neither / none because we're absolute bobbins at the moment, I guess.

• Haha 1

According to sky we'd be in the Northern group so none of our players would get a look in and I for one would be very happy with that if the stupid idea ever got traction.

But he'll sell it on the idea that the profits would be spread across the football  pyramid. I think he means the PL pyramid and you'd have to ask why we have PL that looks like a pyramid?

52 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I think that as soon as the league has 14 American owners, the Premier league will become essentially a closed shop and be turned into an even bigger cash cow with no regard for the fans.

I said it before the yanks want to take over soccer, they'll love some kind of world super league with MLS teams.

• Like 2

People actually have to want something for them to pay for it, and your cynical cash-grab will go down like a lead balloon here. 

It'll rightly be shat all over just like the Super League did. Now fvck off with your "ideas," you tin-eared, greedy fat bastard. 

Irony is that NBA All-Star Game makes that amount of money - not really through the game itself but everything that goes around it. No-one really gives two hoots about the game. That simply doesn't translate to football. 

He's also said the bottom four teams should play in a relegation tournament. 

• Haha 1

I’ve been thinking about this, and with a couple of small adjustments this could be something amazing and I feel fans could really get on board with it, now I know this isn’t popular but hear me out. The idea is great, but why limit it to just the PL? This could be so much bigger, so I’m thinking a global all star tournament.

Rather than just north v south, maybe each country could pick an all star team, made up of the best players from that country they could then all play each other and the best all star teams could play in a tournament maybe every 4 years or so. 
We could call it the Soccer World Series or World Cup or something like that… just imagine the best players in the world representing their country rather than their club.

• Haha 4

He can fvck off. 

If this ever takes off I expect there to be protests. Can't let these lot ruin the game even more, and make it more artificial. 

There's literally no reason to have an all-star game unless it's for money or charity, or both. The latter is fine. But Boehly's intentions quite clearly target the American and Asian Market. That's just where the money is, and where things like this will be totally lapped up. 

I'd hope no Leicester players become involved - no doubt they'll get injured for one lol

Can't imagine many players will care for it. Schedule is packed already as it is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

He can fvck off. 

If this ever takes off I expect there to be protests. Can't let these lot ruin the game even more, and make it more artificial. 

There's literally no reason to have an all-star game unless it's for money or charity, or both. The latter is fine. But Boehly's intentions quite clearly target the American and Asian Market. That's just where the money is, and where things like this will be totally lapped up. 

I'd hope no Leicester players become involved - no doubt they'll get injured for one lol

Can't imagine many players will care for it. Schedule is packed already as it is. 

The game if it happened, would 100% be played in the States where the fans would lap it up and pay big money for a ticket. They wouldn’t risk the protests like when they introduced the super league idea to ruin “their product” by holding the game in England.

• Like 2

It would sell out a million times over with foreign fans paying premium prices. Probably do very good global tv numbers with excellent commercial contracts as well. A very marketable event clearly. That’s all they care about. Luckily it will go nowhere as the clubs, FA, uefa and probably even fifa will want a slice of the pie, which will dilute the pot for the yanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

I said it before the yanks want to take over soccer, they'll love some kind of world super league with MLS teams.

Games will end up being played all over the world and will target a world wide audience to help gain as much income as possible. Maybe they can even tour the league and have countries host an entire gameweek of fixtures.

Gameweek 1 in Australia
Gameweek 2 in China
Gameweek 3 in Qatar
etc

28 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I’ve been thinking about this, and with a couple of small adjustments this could be something amazing and I feel fans could really get on board with it, now I know this isn’t popular but hear me out. The idea is great, but why limit it to just the PL? This could be so much bigger, so I’m thinking a global all star tournament.

Rather than just north v south, maybe each country could pick an all star team, made up of the best players from that country they could then all play each other and the best all star teams could play in a tournament maybe every 4 years or so. 
We could call it the Soccer World Series or World Cup or something like that… just imagine the best players in the world representing their country rather than their club.

We used to have the English League v's the Scottish League but that was back when the Euro tournaments were simple knock out events now they take up most of the season and have priority over the National Leagues, this idea in what ever format you try to come up with would be the same players involved in those Euro games so something would have to give and you can bet it would be the top domestic leagues being reduced and the FA & FL Cups being every more decimated.

I think it's time the players used their obvious power and said enough is enough - No More Games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Irony is that NBA All-Star Game makes that amount of money - not really through the game itself but everything that goes around it. No-one really gives two hoots about the game. That simply doesn't translate to football. 

He's also said the bottom four teams should play in a relegation tournament. 

What a noob, what's the point in a 38 (or 46) game season if you're just going to boil it down to one game.

the Americans love the all or nothing BS, the thing is we already have the playoff final and with the money involved you are mortgaging clubs futures for the same of one game and silly entertainment value.

Can you imagine how pissed off you'd be if you finished 4th bottom, 20 points ahead of bottom place and they were the ones who stopped up?

On the other hand I suppose something similar can happen in the playoffs but then at least 2 teams go up on actual merit and it's an opportunity to aspire to in mid table seasons rather than a punishment to be avoided.

53 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

You're a hopeless idealist mate, it'll never catch on mark my words!!

20 minutes ago, davieG said:

We used to have the English League v's the Scottish League but that was back when the Euro tournaments were simple knock out events now they take up most of the season and have priority over the National Leagues, this idea in what ever format you try to come up with would be the same players involved in those Euro games so something would have to give and you can bet it would be the top domestic leagues being reduced and the FA & FL Cups being every more decimated.

I think it's time the players used their obvious power and said enough is enough - No More Games.

Will never ever ever happen. The likes of Klopp and Conte et al are very happy whinging about the amount of games being played and the scheduling of them, but are also more than happy to take the OTT ludicrous completely unjustified salaries. It's 24/7 football that pays your funny money fellas. There are very few instances where you can have your cake and eat it, football i dont think is one of them. The game is about money, not glory.

28 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Games will end up being played all over the world and will target a world wide audience to help gain as much income as possible. Maybe they can even tour the league and have countries host an entire gameweek of fixtures.

Gameweek 1 in Australia
Gameweek 2 in China
Gameweek 3 in Qatar
etc

Not a bad shout tbf. Ticket prices are simply too low in this country, when broadcast and commercial is worth billions. You take the show around the world, you can start at a $500 base price and go all the way up to around $10k for hospitality et al. Tailored marketing contracts to each host. Football clubs are global media companies now, they are not football clubs thats for sure

Yeah let's not lie, if it ever did happen it would sell out here, America, Asia... wherever. People will always turn out for the stars and whoever got the rights to it would go mad. The production would be hugely zooped up and given a razzmatazz feel.

The quality of the game? Something akin to Soccer Aid crossed with the NFL Pro Bowl game. Rolling subs coming on and off, a weird non-hardcore football crowd and players giving it no more than 40% because it's a game that doesn't matter or risk injury. As a spectacle it'd be bobbins but as a money maker it'd rake it in.

I'd be interested to see how many players decided to "opt out" of it though, or whether it'd be something written into contracts that they'd have to play if selected.