Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group E: Spain, Costa Rica, Germany, Japan

Yeah probably it’s me but on one of the Spain goals again iam sure one of the Costa Rica players lifted his foot up as the The ball was coming at him heading towards the goal I have never said this about any game before, I get the point of they scrapped through qualifying but this is the World Cup now look at the teams that have been underdogs already causing shocks not one shot on target no enthusiasm even after half time like I said this is what I think anyway that is all iam saying before I get abuse which I don’t want 

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

You really can’t conclude anything as of yet. England, France and Spain have all dismantled opposition who they should be dismantling. Argentina and Germany were terrible. Brazil, Belgium and Portugal still to come. Even Netherlands eked out a game they could’ve lost. 

Yes, all we can go off is what we have seen so far. Still lots of football to be played.

4 minutes ago, hackenbacker said:

I went to NZ v CR qualifying game. The CR fans are very passionate and they brought plenty to Qatar for that game. I didn't watch the Spain game but for the sake of their fans at least who have travelled such a distance (again) they would not throw the match.

People have to remember there’s always been hammerings at the World Cup 

Hungary beat El Salvador 10-1 in 1982

Germany beat Saudi 8-0 in 2002

The famous Germany Brazil semi in 2014

England beating Panama and Iran by 6 in the past two comps. 

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

If Costa Rica are this bad, how bad are NZ?

Shows again how much rubbish is in the WC because each continent gets a quota. EURO's are a much more competitive tournament.

Of course..Europe has a long history..

Wcup..used to be the elite nations,but rightly FIFA want to expand the interest,

African nations, are now competing, Canada,/USA have grown slowly.

The qualification rounds set up for some interesting surprises,every 4years.

Isnt that what we all want,  New boys on the block. Not yet reached those 

Final heights, a couple have come close..

• Like 2

I’ve been loathe to call attention to this sham of a WC, but as a fan of Japanese soccer that 2nd half was pretty damn fun.

Thing is, Japan are a technically gifted side.  They have flair and quality.  As such that turbid first half was exceedingly frustrating.  I guess in the end Moriyasu’s strategy is vindicated, and his subs certainly changed the game.  Germany missed some chances but I think Japan actually created more in that second half.

Got to take care of business against CR and let the rest sort itself out.  Win that match and they’re through, whatever happens when they play Spain (who really ought to eliminate Germany based on form).

6 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I’ve been loathe to call attention to this sham of a WC, but as a fan of Japanese soccer that 2nd half was pretty damn fun.

Thing is, Japan are a technically gifted side.  They have flair and quality.  As such that turbid first half was exceedingly frustrating.  I guess in the end Moriyasu’s strategy is vindicated, and his subs certainly changed the game.  Germany missed some chances but I think Japan actually created more in that second half.

Got to take care of business against CR and let the rest sort itself out.  Win that match and they’re through, whatever happens when they play Spain (who really ought to eliminate Germany based on form).

Germany were clearly dominant for 70 minutes, they played well but just couldn't finish their dinner. That cost us.

However, as you say, tactically Japan were much better by the end and that was down to subs and tactical changes by the coach. They should have never had the chance by then but at 1-0 they were well in the game and finished the better side.

As always, the only stat that counts is goals scored.

In theory, Japan should see off Costa Rica fairly comfortably and I think Spain will batter us too. Then Spain vs Japan for top spot. With the goal difference, Japan would require victory.

Edited by KrefelderFox666

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Germany were clearly dominant for 70 minutes, they played well but just couldn't finish their dinner. That cost us.

However, as you say, tactically Japan were much better by the end and that was down to subs and tactical changes by the coach. They should have never had the chance by then but at 1-0 they were well in the game and finished the better side.

As always, the only stat that counts is goals scored.

I’ll say this much - Jamal Musiala is a star already.  Even playing out of position he was your best player.  And England and Chelsea let him get away, ROFL.

1 minute ago, Deeg67 said:

I’ll say this much - Jamal Musiala is a star already.  Even playing out of position he was your best player.  And England and Chelsea let him get away, ROFL.

19 years old, he carried Bayern through a tricky patch already this season, without him Bayern would not be top.

He always had a better chance in the Germany team to play every match but he would have had a chance of trophies with England. I wonder if Southgate put him off playing for England. Hansi Flick is the much better coach on a personal level.

2 hours ago, sm1 said:

Germany really haven't had great tournaments lately with both the last WC and Euros being a complete failure. Infact looking at the stats they've only won 2 out of their last 8 tournament games, losing 5.

We used to be a tournament team. Have been a long way from that since 2016 (our last decent tournament).

For me the biggest factor is that we don't have a true number 9 anymore and our defence is poor. Number 9 being a big loss (gone are the days of Seeler, Gerd Muller, Voller, Klinsmann, Bierhoff, Klose).

Lost the opening game of the past three tournaments now, should never have qualified in the EURO's (4 points in the group). You can't expect to qualify when you lose the opening game (certainly not when only 2 teams qualify).

The biggest problem for Germany is that the next decade or so looks bleak for any talent coming through. Not enough to change the current trajectory.

51 minutes ago, Iran said:

I just realized that even if Japan win today against Costa Rica it may not be enough to advance to the next round if Germany beat Spain later on.

Depends how much they win by, and how many goals scored by Germany/Spain, and then how many Germany beat Costa Rica by. 

It does mean Japan vs Spain is less of a dead rubber in the final match of the group. Hopefully there won't be some kind of dead 0-0 draw and one of the sides will go out to be 100% side of winning. 

It'd be harsh to see a side win 2 of their 3 games and still not qualify. Must have happened before but can't recall it. 

The positive being that Japan have the H2H points over Germany if it comes down to it. 

• Like 2