Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bigboy

This club is becoming a joke

Never believed the lack of funds excuse, always though that the club didn’t want to admit that Congerton was a clueless twat and they didn’t want to use his shopping list. Glover didn’t arrive until after the window had closed.

Edited by hackneyfox

19 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Now we know that FFP excuse is not all that it seems, the lack of investment even at the risk of relegation, is very odd. We were told there is money available but we are constrained by FFP, however, that constraint does not seem to be as big an issue as we were told. Certainly not to the extend where we couldn't even afford £13million on Lookman in the summer.

The most likely issue and one I can understand Top doesn't want to own up to, is that he either doesn't want to, or he simply can't invest in the club anymore. Add to that our top two players likely leaving in the summer, ageing players like Vardy and Evans, and consistent injuries that we can't seem to get on top of - we are in a mess! That isn't even including a Manager that we need to get rid of, and our club looking less and less attractive to top managers around the world. 

This could all change of course, if Top sacks Rodgers this week and makes £50 million available for 2-3 players, with a loan or two as well.

Three weeks into the transfer window though, all that is looking less and less likely. 

The only thing that doesn't add up with all that, is why would Top be spending so much on the stadium if the taps have run dry. Hopefully, we will know more in the coming days either way. 

Hasn't spent a cent on the stadium that I can see. Nope , nothing since they took over the club. The training ground at Belvoir Drive was a joke for a PL club and had to be done. The stadium has been kicked into the long grass as far as I can see.

6 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...how would we introduce this money and turn it into an on-pitch acquisition!!!

We have little or no scope for revenue expansion, our commercial enterprises have a ceiling, and we are offering perhaps the best wages outside of the top 6 which are unsustainable to meet FFP, how does a new Owner allow us to spend more?

The only avenues are a company paying an extravagant amount of money to us via sponsorship or going down the route at present with the income-creating enterprises that have already been earmarked in accordance with the stadium expansion.

Don't talk common sense, it has no place in this discussion

• Like 1

Imo I don't even think the transfer window matters even if we secure a couple of players. The stadium extension will cost an additional £200 million over and above what has already been paid (that's if the original loan was for it anyway) and the news of that is stone cold quiet, too quiet, and no doubt Top will saddle that onto KP's already increasing debt would push it way over £500 million pounds. So even with leveraging player sales against the debt on the club it seems to be racking up either way...... without owner investment its pointless!!! Self sustaining clubs don't exist anymore imo and if we want to challenge and be better we need an owner who feels the same way.

• Like 1

For us of a certain age the last 7 or 8 years haven't been the norm for Leicester, we were always a bit of joke before that, but so what!  So perhaps we're just finding ourselves again and it is time to laugh at ourselves once more, re-find that sense of humour, that was a prerequisite for being a fan of our club.

Edited by Le Renard
  • Like 3

Just now, Le Renard said:

For us of a certain age the last 7 or 8 years haven't been the norm for Leicester, we were always a bit of joke before that, so perhaps we're just finding ourselves again.  Time to laugh at ourselves once more, re-find that sense of humour, that was a prerequisite for being a fan of our club.

Sadly I think you're right. We're gonna need the sense of humour big time again.

We can go back to generally taking the piss out of our players because they're so shit abd and get really excited when they're slightly above average.

Rooster Russell etc

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Le Renard said:

For us of a certain age the last 7 or 8 years haven't been the norm for Leicester, we were always a bit of joke before that, so perhaps we're just finding ourselves again.  Time to laugh at ourselves once more, re-find that sense of humour, that was a prerequisite for being a fan of our club.

Smile self-indulgently in recollection, but do so knowing that better is now certainly possible. :scarf:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Dean Sturridge in on deadline day with a Radio Leicester special to announce a massive signing. 

The plugged that all day (the radio did), a special show. City signed two players one was expected (I can't remember who it was) but the other is going to excite city fans - I was a young boy with nothing to do. The show convinced me we had signed the man to save us. Sturridge left for Wolves the next year and went on scoring spree in the championship/div 1 if I remember rightly. 

God, I thought those days were over. 

Sturridge signed on 19th Jan. Other signings around this time courtesy of the brilliant history section on this site.

When the deadline used to be in March.

Screenshot_20230117_211115_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Rain King
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Plastic - I were on the terraces giving Willie Orr dogs abuse when we bottled the title by one point to The Wednesday in 1929. Look how far we've dropped from them, club has no standards at all these days.

My granddad was actually at that game and told me he thought we’d won the league because he missed a goal when he went to the toilet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rain King said:

Sturridge signed on 19th Jan. Other signings around this time courtesy of the brilliant history section on this site.

When the deadline used to be in March.

Screenshot_20230117_211115_Samsung Internet.jpg

Three that came after Sturridge suggests he was an outstanding signing! **** me look at that list of failures. 

Close all transfer related threads. God this is so depressing!

How/why are in such a shithole place atm. We are going down, without a fight and/or  desire to survive. It’s so hard to take, when the club worked so hard to get to the PL from the depths of league 1

• Sad 2

I see the strategy now

No transfers to raise a sense of pity for Rodgers, uniting the fans to get behind the manager for the remaining games of the season

Oh wait…

11 hours ago, StonyFox said:

I hope this isn't the case, but is it just the natural cycle of a club our size? We've been in the prem for 9 years, which is our second longest spell in the top division since the war. We've relied on selling our playing assets to "tick over" as we're never going to generate the income of the bigger clubs in the league. I think we've probably always been a couple of bad transfer windows away from being in the situation where we are now, left with a lot overpaid average players that we cannot shift. Add into this the timing of the infrastructure investment and COVID hitting our owners finances, has this been a prefect storm of poor player contract management and external influences?

IF we can stay up, clear out more of the dead wood in the summer, (and if more people start go on holiday again), we may be able to cheat the yo-yo cycle 

Should never be the case , if a city the size of Leicester doesn't have a residency in the PL we are underachieving.

12 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Sadly I think you're right. We're gonna need the sense of humour big time again.

We can go back to generally taking the piss out of our players because they're so shit abd and get really excited when they're slightly above average.

Rooster Russell etc

I fell off the sofa laughing at Faes against Liverpool so that's a start lol