Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Summer 2023...

1 hour ago, Finn Claw II said:

Armarty and Mendy will likely be offered some form of new contracts.

what I think we will realistically have;

GKs Ward, Iverson

FBs Justin, Ricardo, Castagne, Kristiansen, Thomas

CBs Feas, Soultar, Armarty 

CM KDH, Ndiddi, Preat Mendy, Soumane 

Att - Barnes, Daka, Tete, Nacho, Vardy

We have alves, Braybooke who must be close to first team.

I think we will sign about 4 good players plus Tete, Harrison being one of them if we stay up. GK, CM on top of that are a must. 

Agree with this in the main, my prediction is the following:

GK: New, Ward, Smithies, Iversen (sold)

FBs Justin, Ricardo, Castagne, Kristiansen, Thomas (loan)

CB: New, Faes, Souttar, Evans, Amartey 

CM: KDH, Ndidi, Soumaré, 3 x New 

Mendy, Youri, Praet & Madders all leave

Att - Daka, Nacho, Vardy, Barnes, Tete (make permanent), 2 x New Wingers (+ 1 CF)

Think we will need Maddison monies to fund part of the rebuild, so hopefully can still get a decent whack if Man City are sniffing. Can maybe also see Nacho leaving if we can pick up some decent money for him. 

I think we then will need seven new recruits. Like has already been said, we will need to be savvy with how we bring people in. Some great talents already listed in a previous post who are into the last 6/18 months of their contracts.

We NEED to take advantage of the free transfer market. 

There is going to be a fair bit in wages freed up and it's our chance to pad out a lot of the squad for far cheaper than we would have been able to. Obv free isn't really free with signing on bonuses etc but I feel if we done it right, we could bring in 4/5 very good quality players with no fee. 

This summer we’ve got Tielemans, Soyuncu, Evans, Bertrand, Amartey and Mendy are expiring. At this stage, I’d imagine all are going.

In 2024, we’ve got Maddison, Praet, Ndidi, Iheanacho, Thomas, Vestergaard, Vardy and Smithies. 

Vestergaard I don’t think will leave this summer. I’d say Maddison and Vardy are more likely. 

We’ve hit a major crossroads really. If people won’t re-sign, they need to be sold. We might be looking at a player turnover like Chelsea / Forest. 

1 hour ago, Sly said:

This summer we’ve got Tielemans, Soyuncu, Evans, Bertrand, Amartey and Mendy are expiring. At this stage, I’d imagine all are going.

In 2024, we’ve got Maddison, Praet, Ndidi, Iheanacho, Thomas, Vestergaard, Vardy and Smithies. 

Vestergaard I don’t think will leave this summer. I’d say Maddison and Vardy are more likely. 

We’ve hit a major crossroads really. If people won’t re-sign, they need to be sold. We might be looking at a player turnover like Chelsea / Forest. 

Surely recent history has taught us that this is easier said than done?

Edited by ClaphamFox

Please, please, please starting getting deals agreed way in advance of the window opening.

There’s no excuse when other clubs can do it. Scrabbling around with a days to go is a mark of incompetence 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At the moment we should give Mendy another contract and try and get rid of Ndidi. Gallaghar from Chelsea must be up there for potential replacement for the midfield I guess Chelsea will be having a clear out in the summer might see so movement there. Maddison possible Man city bound maybe a player plus cash offer there?

A lot of things up in the air this summer and it could go a number of ways.

For me, we should be looking at Palace and Brighton as inspiration. Palace failed once with De Boer but they finally managed to get it right appointing Vieira and turning their squad from a an ageing, functional side into an exciting, young, hungry team with bags of talent.

And we all know how Brighton transitioned from a team just happy to stay in the division under Hughton to one with a group of well-recruited players, each worth tens of millions more than they were signed for under, thriving under Potter and now De Zerbi.

I don't think we've really had our own period of transition like this before, not without going down first. So it's going to be a really nervy but potentially really exciting time for us.

We could do worse than use those two clubs inspirations in this process, and hopefully Martyn Glover can steer us towards recruiting the right players with the budget we'll have.

Though, we do need to use ourselves as inspiration too. This club has achieved amazing things in recent seasons. A Premier League title, a Champions League quarter final, an FA Cup win, two fifth-placed finishes and a Europa Conference League semi-final.

These periods don't come around often for clubs like ours, but the recent history is there and can be used as inspiration to achieve great things again.

• Like 2

1) Move heaven and earth to secure Tete on a permanent long term contract. Who knows what the fee will be but maximum given the current crisis in Ukraine ought to be £20m, likely less. If the unthinkable happens and we can't get him then for a similar fee it would have to be Gabriel Angelo or Zakaria Aboukhlal 

2) Fares Chaibi,  Arder Guler or Alex Scott as the versatile attacking midfielder. Both can play anywhere across the 3 support attack roles out wide and centrally. Chaibi would cost £15-20m and Guler & Scott might be £20-25m.

3) Enzo Le Fee or Orkan Kokcu as the likely Tielemans replacement. Le Fee will be available for less than £20m with only a year left on his deal, Kokcu £20-25m.

4) Jonathan Bamba or Reiss Nelson on a free as a Barnes and Tete back up. Or Daniel Ruiz Riviera who'd cost less than £10m and looks a superstar in the making.

5) Odin Thiago Holm, this would be a project signing and he'd cost less than £5m. Loan him out to Leuven to ensure a work permit the following year but he is destined to be a top class midfielder IMO.

6) Chris Smalling on a free - if he'd come to us then I'd be willing to shake hands with Jonny Evans and wish him all the best in his last year or so before he retires. We need a reliable experienced leader and sadly Evans doesn't seem capable of doing that anymore. 

7) I still think we need a left footed CB but much depends on how Faes and Souttar pair together. It might be that those two are the standout main choices and then we need 2 capable alternatives but if we want challenge the top 7-8 again then I think we likely need a very progressive young defender for a reasonable fee to challenge. 

The most obvious is Evan N'Dicka on a free transfer from Frankfurt but I don't think we are as attractive an option for a very highly sought after young player. The more realistic option would be Morato at Benfica who I think they are sleep walking on and would sell for less than £20m or Willian Pacho at Antwerp. 

8) We need a new goalkeeper. I don't think Iversen will get a proper chance unless Rodgers leaves so I'm assuming we get a £4-5m offer for him in the summer and take it.

Alban Lafont is the most logical long term successor to Schmeichel and with only a year left on his deal come the summer I think we'd get him for less than £20m but we don't have huge money available and when you look at the cost of replacing Tielemans, signing Tete or someone similar then we know that we've got to raise funds by selling Maddison for £50m + and Iheanacho will go for £15-20m IMO.

Based on the picks above we'd already be up to around £100m with a new GK and striker needed, so if we didn't go for Lafont then I'd look at Matvey Safonov who's contract is up in the summer and very commanding. I suspect based on past links though we'd go for Odysseas Vlachodimos who's contract is up in 2024.

9) With Mendy likely going and serious doubts over Ndidi's long term future (contract up in 2024) I'd try and snap up Ellyes Skhiri from FC Koln on a free. If Ndidi did also move on for a reasonable fee then we'd need to be looking at a young superstar in the making as well but I think Ndidi will sign a new deal here.

10) Finally a new striker. I think Iheanacho will be sold and Daka given another year before a decision is made on him. I'd look no further than Viktor Gyökeres, his contract is up in 2024 and Coventry will have to sell in the summer. I've really been impressed with how he leads the line, he's relatively quick, got a good first touch and is a finisher.

Alternatively I really like Elye Wahi at Montpellier and Santiago Gimenez at Feyenoord.

It's going to require some real wizardry to get the 8-10 new players we may well need and we must cash in on players to fund this. Sadly Maddison is off and we need to ensure Iheanacho and Praet are sold and not allowed to leave for free the year after.

• Like 4

Maddison, Kelechi and Iversen to leave for fees.

New GK, CM, AM, winger and forward + Tete.

Time to shop smart, obviously younger talent is the pool we should always be shopping in but one or two experienced no-brainers from relegated sides would be a good place to shop too.

Maybe JWP if Southampton go down. Pickford if Everton do?

Edited by LVFox
  • Like 1

Lots of players out of contract at other clubs next summer, many of them not ideal, but we simply have to use that market to replace some out our squad filler and then go big on the Maddison and Yuri replacements.

Well, I say go big, it’s not strictly true. Great scouting as we know can solve the problem, our faith in that is just a bit shaken. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Replacement for Rodgers first....

I agree , he is a barrier now to recruitment. If any prospective player reads the invective on here they would be concerned. Anyway his reputation is circulating on the players and agents grapevine. As usual it will take money to convince them.

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

Please, please, please starting getting deals agreed way in advance of the window opening.

There’s no excuse when other clubs can do it. Scrabbling around with a days to go is a mark of incompetence 

Stoke were clearly stalling to the last minute to get us to pay more.

Harrison and Tete, weren't both depenent on their clubs getting in replacements?

We aren't a Liverpool or Chelsea were players are jumping at the chance of joining.

We're looking to buy better players than Wolves/Forest that meakes it more difficult, we aren't always first choice for the players we want, they may be hoping a bigger club will pick them up.

There are some decent championship talents with contracts expiring in 2024.. Some of these players might be quite cheap.

Etienne Camara (DM)

Ben Sheaf (DM)

Gustavo Hamer (CM)

Sander Berge (CM)

Jobe Bellingham (CM)

Ismaila Sarr (LW)

Chris Willock (LW)

Ndiaye (ST)

Gyokeres (ST)

Edited by Shane
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Shane said:

There are some decent championship talents with contracts expiring in 2024.. Some of these players might be quite cheap.

Etienne Camara (DM)

Ben Sheaf (DM)

Gustavo Hamer (CM)

Sander Berge (CM)

Jobe Bellingham (CM)

Ismaila Sarr (LW)

Chris Willock (LW)

Ndiaye (ST)

Gyokeres (ST)

I like Willock and Gyok in this list (Ndiaye too but think he plays in prem with Sheff next year)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Stoke were clearly stalling to the last minute to get us to pay more.

Harrison and Tete, weren't both depenent on their clubs getting in replacements?

We aren't a Liverpool or Chelsea were players are jumping at the chance of joining.

We're looking to buy better players than Wolves/Forest that meakes it more difficult, we aren't always first choice for the players we want, they may be hoping a bigger club will pick them up.

I'm not expecting 8 players in before hand but for players from the likes Denmark, Switzerland, Serbia and European second divisions we can agree deals in advance. Players want to play in the PL, get a huge pay rise, raise their profile - of course they want to join us. Plus doing business earlyis cheaper, it gives the selling club more time to plan a replacement, players settle faster etc.

26 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I'm not expecting 8 players in before hand but for players from the likes Denmark, Switzerland, Serbia and European second divisions we can agree deals in advance. Players want to play in the PL, get a huge pay rise, raise their profile - of course they want to join us. Plus doing business earlyis cheaper, it gives the selling club more time to plan a replacement, players settle faster etc.

The biggest issue here though is work permits, the value for money below £10m is hard to do in Europe as the likes of Scandinavia are off limits unless the teams played in Europe the year before or we loan to Leuven first. 2nd divisions in France, Spain, Germany etc are now off limits too unless very unique circumstances or we loan to Leuven first.

South America and any country that compete in a continental competition that the criteria measures on a par with European competitions is the markets we simply have to start to get involved in, we are prats not to given we are in the midst of a rebuild.

• Like 3