Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TamworthFoxes

Mason Greenwood

10 hours ago, kenny said:

The CPS can still proceed if they feel there is enough evidence and the crime is serious enough.

But what chance of a conviction if the victim who provided the evidence won't talk in court? The CPS have played the odds, as they always have to do, and come to the depressing conclusion there's no chance of a successful prosecution without her showing the same bravery she showed initially.

So scary how much of a hold abusers have over their victims to the extent she'd completely retract all the courage she'd built up. The court of public opinion is a very dangerous thing but this is one incident where you couldn't help but be sickened by what you'd heard. It's a huge shame that won't now be tested in a court of law.

• Like 1

It's extremely disappointing given we all heard the audio and saw the pictures. The case collapse because a "key witness" withdrew, but it's been claimed that the victim and Greenwood have been in touch for a long time. 

Considering he was charged with rape, assault, threats to kill and coercive and controlling behaviour, how could he have been allowed to resume contact with his victim? Surely that alone should negate her withdrawal and the CPS could proceed?

I hope he never gets to play football again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

It's extremely disappointing given we all heard the audio and saw the pictures. The case collapse because a "key witness" withdrew, but it's been claimed that the victim and Greenwood have been in touch for a long time. 

Considering he was charged with rape, assault, threats to kill and coercive and controlling behaviour, how could he have been allowed to resume contact with his victim? Surely that alone should negate her withdrawal and the CPS could proceed?

There were bail conditions which he had breached/been breaching. Apparently GMP didn't really act on that...

Preparing to get flamed for this, but Interesting to recall that there was very little objection on here or in the stands at the prospect of Danny Simpson continuing his career at our club. I even recall someone astonishingly attempting to claim that his private life had no bearing upon what he's employed to do on the pitch. 

Like Nick Kyrgios, I have little doubt that the Simpson assault was ostensibly a one-off hot headed isolated incident and although Simpson escaped a custodial sentence (which was never on the cards) but unlike Kyrgios, was convicted for his wrongdoing, both were deemed to be out of character. Clearly, neither cases are comparable to allegations of rape, coercive behaviour and assault occasioning actual bodily harm. The damning pictures and audio tell their own story and present their own testimony against Greenwood's contrived and serial manipulation/violence, irrespective of the fact that the CPS has dropped the case after a 'key witness' withdrew their cooperation. It's plain to see what has happened here as others on this thread have surmised. 

I would contend that although Greenwood's vile actions obviously far exceed those of Danny Simpson, no form of violence against women is acceptable and in both cases their retention was/is untenable. Simpson's contract should have been terminated and although Greenwood's offences are far more heinous, ultimately he has not been found guilty of a crime...which means as unpalatable as it may be, it'll perversely be the 'global partners' that determine his fate and future as a footballer and the internal investigation at the club as opposed to a court of law. It's likely that the imminent threat of brand damage will finish his career in the English football league and consign him to a dustbin abroad as opposed to the prison cell he deserves. What concerns me most is what potentially trash like this, now vindicated in his own mind, possibly carrying a huge chip on his shoulder, victim mentality and grudge against women, is capable of and at liberty to do in the future. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Excellent player, but ruined now. No one should be willing to give him a contract and Man U would be better off terminating it because of the issues it will cause 

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Someone will though as they will see him  as a young talented player.

Maybe not straight away but ones this all is all sorted out .

There was one guy on our site saying other top clubs would be interested if Greenwood went somewhere and did well .

( Mind too they did give impression that they felt he hadn’t done much wrong and ought to carry on normal now there is no case to answer )

Edited by Super_horns

The worrying thing for me is that, if that's what he did to her whilst his life was going as well as it was. What will he do to her when he starts resenting her and blaming her for ruining his career when he realises he will never make it to the level he was at? Because you know that people like him don't take responsibility, they blame everyone else. Especially the vulnerable people they surround themselves with. 

It's so frustrating because you don't understand why she would withdraw her participation in his prosecution and go back to him but I don't suppose you CAN ever really understand it unless you've lived it. 

• Like 2

On 02/02/2023 at 22:57, Leicesterpool said:

There's been a lot of police time been wasted if the victim has suddenly decided to drop the charges. 

It's not right to say that a lot of police time has been wasted, but I do understand the point you make.  These are often extremely complex cases because often there is only one key witness and the case relies upon the support of that key witness who themselves have complex thoughts going through their head.  The witness/victim will often initiate the investigation with absolute determination to see it through, but the situation is highly emotional and with the passage of time, the inner battle of head vs heart is exhausting.  Victims of domestic abuse need more support (not necessarily from the police - let them get on with gathering evidence) but there should be something out there that helps victims through the process.  And the process itself needs speeding up.  The pace of the investigation is undoubtedly a factor in dropped cases.  Once a victim plucks up the courage to call the authorities, they want it all sorted out there and then, or at least that it might be sorted out by this time next week or next month, not months and months, sometimes 12 months+.  It's not really that well publicised about the length of time these things take and that initial motivation to see it through can soon diminish.

In my opinion, this case should be used to but educate people about how the system works and challenge quite a few aspects of the legal system.  The sheer volume of domestic cases that are dropped for this very reason, including assaults and rapes warrants high level conversations and a willingness to make meaningful changes.

• Like 2

On 04/02/2023 at 05:57, nnfox said:

It's not right to say that a lot of police time has been wasted, but I do understand the point you make.  These are often extremely complex cases because often there is only one key witness and the case relies upon the support of that key witness who themselves have complex thoughts going through their head.  The witness/victim will often initiate the investigation with absolute determination to see it through, but the situation is highly emotional and with the passage of time, the inner battle of head vs heart is exhausting.  Victims of domestic abuse need more support (not necessarily from the police - let them get on with gathering evidence) but there should be something out there that helps victims through the process.  And the process itself needs speeding up.  The pace of the investigation is undoubtedly a factor in dropped cases.  Once a victim plucks up the courage to call the authorities, they want it all sorted out there and then, or at least that it might be sorted out by this time next week or next month, not months and months, sometimes 12 months+.  It's not really that well publicised about the length of time these things take and that initial motivation to see it through can soon diminish.

In my opinion, this case should be used to but educate people about how the system works and challenge quite a few aspects of the legal system.  The sheer volume of domestic cases that are dropped for this very reason, including assaults and rapes warrants high level conversations and a willingness to make meaningful changes.

Good post.   Do not take this as gospel but I have read somewhere that only 4% of domestic violence cases results in prosecution.   I cannot imagine this statistic would inspire confidence in survivors especially in cases where it is essentially the abuser's word against the survivor's word. 

Although due to the evidence that we all saw, I do imagine this case would have better chance than most to result in prosecution.

Edited by The Blur

Lots of talking on here like people know the man which is a little weird.  I think the best outcome would be for him to get some help / counselling, to do some work with victims to understand the impact of his behavior and to gradually be rehabilitated into football.  I know we like to think football is some special job, but ultimately the prosecution has been dropped and the club has an opportunity to do something positive rather than to discard him and no doubt ruin his and likely his partners life.  I wonder if in fact many of these young rich famous sportmens treat women badly due to not valuing them as they should, and perhaps this is an opportunity to do something positive.

Someone will give him a career.

You’ve only got to look at previous footballers who have been involved or investigated for criminal activity and returned to playing football. 

Lee Hughes did 3 years for death by dangerous driving. 

Duncan Ferguson did 3 months for GBH.

Joey Barton did 2 months for GBH.

Jamie Lawrence did 2 years for bank robbery.

Marlon King has numerous offences. 

Marcus Alonso killed his passenger whilst driving over the speed limit whilst at Bolton, still player and went on to have a good career.

Patrick Kluivert killed someone whilst being twice over the speed limit and not insured. 

Bruno Fernandez das Dores de Souza Is a convicted murderer. He’s managed to play again after being released from prison.

The list is massive if you look at this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sportspeople_convicted_of_crimes

He’ll find a club somewhere, no doubt in the UAE, Qatar or somewhere similar. 

• 2 weeks later...