Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

1 hour ago, Lizzibee said:

Why? Sorry for gatecrashing but like to keep up with the opposition.  We were LG1 but deliberately bought players with Championship pedigree and beyond and invested hugely with the coaching team (manager included) to get them where they need to be. Davis and Broadhead prime examples - way too good for league one but with the right coaching. Then we got in quality loan players to assist and there is real prospect that one of them is signing for us because of the ethos of the club and how it's developed him.
Sometimes results is more about the value of a team but the togetherness and with this team they learnt the hard way last year which has them in good stead
We are only exceptional because how we are set up and have developed
I woudl love nothing more than you and us to get promoted as Leeds are just way too arrogant

I agree with everything you’re sayings which is why it is an exceptional achievement. To go from League One to 90 plus points in the championship in one season is an exceptional achievement. However you spin it.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Have you heard thats the case?

I would guess they would be yeah.

Just an educated guess with all what’s happening at the club. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, weller54 said:

If you go up what is the point?... apart from money of course!!

You'll get beat pretty much week after week!

What's to look forward to exactly for a team like Ipswich in the PL circus?

Awful take and "a team like Ipswich" is an arrogant statement considering their history.

Lots of clubs have gone up and done really well. Brighton, Burnley, Wolves have all enjoyed European Trips in recent years through the league. Why can't Championship clubs now aim for the same?

Ipswich have done superb. Not only to score 100+ goals last season, and gain 90+ points, but to continue that. When we won League One then got into the Championship play offs, under Pearson, it was a great achievement and I was excited to be nearing promotion to the Premier League given how long we hadn't been in the top flight. There will be a generation of Ipswich fans that have never seen their team in the top flight.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Awful take and "a team like Ipswich" is an arrogant statement considering their history.

Lots of clubs have gone up and done really well. Brighton, Burnley, Wolves have all enjoyed European Trips in recent years through the league. Why can't Championship clubs now aim for the same?

Ipswich have done superb. Not only to score 100+ goals last season, and gain 90+ points, but to continue that. When we won League One then got into the Championship play offs, under Pearson, it was a great achievement and I was excited to be nearing promotion to the Premier League given how long we hadn't been in the top flight. There will be a generation of Ipswich fans that have never seen their team in the top flight.

Worth mentioning as well Ipswich have achieved something we've got nowhere near 

Winners of an European trophy - and at that a trophy at the time which was probably the hardest to win. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, weller54 said:

You sound just like Spurs / Arsenal / Man City fans circa 2016.

Ipswich are hardly historical minnows like Bournemouth who have managed to stop up for a few years. Plus they appear to be a club going places. If they go up and keep their exceptional manager in place, sprinkle some extra quality on the weak areas of the squad then I'd think they have a decent shot at stopping up.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, weller54 said:

They said that about us this year and it hasn't happened so why assume it will next?  Just had another massive investment in the club today also. Plus, having been through years of shit, many of our fans have not seen us play in the PL or had anything positive to see.  If clubs don't have aspirations then what's the point?  Surely you wouldnt settle to be stuck in Championship and not try and mix it with the big boys?  Its worked for Brighton, Bournmouth and Brentford who were stuck in the lower leagues for years

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lizzibee said:

They said that about us this year and it hasn't happened so why assume it will next?  Just had another massive investment in the club today also. Plus, having been through years of shit, many of our fans have not seen us play in the PL or had anything positive to see.  If clubs don't have aspirations then what's the point?  Surely you wouldnt settle to be stuck in Championship and not try and mix it with the big boys?  Its worked for Brighton, Bournmouth and Brentford who were stuck in the lower leagues for years

Mix it with the corrupt boys?..

What's the point?

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Former Norwich sporting director in a bit of trouble... 

The overall message is a pretty positive one and seems to come from a place of wanting to give people who come from under priveledged areas a chance. 

Can't see much wrong there. He's not questioning the character of the players, just pointing out that sports like football (and boxing) offer these youngsters that come from underprivileged areas where crime rates are high an opportunity to make something of themselves.

I'd say worst case he could probably clarify his thoughts - although I don't really think it's fair to take a snippet of private conversation and pick out one comment.

Unfortunately the media and now social media love that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, filbertway said:

The overall message is a pretty positive one and seems to come from a place of wanting to give people who come from under priveledged areas a chance. 

Can't see much wrong there. He's not questioning the character of the players, just pointing out that sports like football (and boxing) offer these youngsters that come from underprivileged areas where crime rates are high an opportunity to make something of themselves.

I'd say worst case he could probably clarify his thoughts - although I don't really think it's fair to take a snippet of private conversation and pick out one comment.

On what basis were they likely to go to jail? Does he mention any others, or why just those few? 

What does he know about them that makes him come to that conclusion? 

• Like 3

Just now, StanSP said:

On what basis were they likely to go to jail? Does he mention any others, or why just those few? 

What does he know about them that makes him come to that conclusion? 

Yeah they're fair points.

I'm working on the assumption they were all examples of players coming from an underpriveledged background that he's worked with, and Sterling's story is obviously well documented.

Raheem Sterling: the mother’s boy from Jamaica who became a man | Raheem Sterling | The Guardian

Can't imagine Todd Cantwell grew up surrounded by crime and gangs or i'm sure he'd have been name dropped as well.

On 22/03/2024 at 09:09, Fox92 said:

Think he was more saying a team with their resources. Their history doesn't matter. Forest lived off there's for 40 years whilst doing absolutely **** all on the pitch for 30. 

The Premier League would much rather Luton, Sheffield United and Burnley come up than Leeds, Leicester and Southampton with a genuine chance.

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

I mean it’s just pure white saviour complex 

On 21/03/2024 at 22:27, CosbehFox said:

What a dismissive, arrogant comment. 

What’s to stop them achieving what the likes of us or Brighton did 

I dunno, I'm inclined to agree with this, to be honest. It's the same for most clubs. You're probably different because you've experienced what was - let's be honest - an absolutely ridiculous and impossible season that should never have happened on paper (and will probably never happen again), but the reality is that breaking into the Premier League is getting more difficult every year. 

I've said it before (and been roundly dismissed for it), but if we could take the other positives - massive cash injection, parachute payments and the increased worldwide fanbase/influx of the 'next generation' of local fans - and stay playing in the Championship, I'd love that. It's a great league and the Premier League, for all its hype about being the best in the world, really isn't. 

Maybe we'll go up and consolidate, become a mid-table team and 'do a West Ham', but is that really more fun than being a club competing at the top end of the Champ? I don't think so. The odd cup run and maybe a Euro Conference jaunt gloss over it a bit, but the Prem is a closed shop. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tractor said:

I dunno, I'm inclined to agree with this, to be honest. It's the same for most clubs. You're probably different because you've experienced what was - let's be honest - an absolutely ridiculous and impossible season that should never have happened on paper (and will probably never happen again), but the reality is that breaking into the Premier League is getting more difficult every year. 

I've said it before (and been roundly dismissed for it), but if we could take the other positives - massive cash injection, parachute payments and the increased worldwide fanbase/influx of the 'next generation' of local fans - and stay playing in the Championship, I'd love that. It's a great league and the Premier League, for all its hype about being the best in the world, really isn't. 

Maybe we'll go up and consolidate, become a mid-table team and 'do a West Ham', but is that really more fun than being a club competing at the top end of the Champ? I don't think so. The odd cup run and maybe a Euro Conference jaunt gloss over it a bit, but the Prem is a closed shop. 

Out of interest, did you watch Ipswich on their most recent foray in Europe? 

I tell you it's the most addictive, thrilling part of following a football club I have been part of.