Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ryan Giles

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Smith didn't seem to fancy him and it looks like Maresca would rather use Doyle or Castagne in any LCB or LWB role ahead of him.

Perhaps it's far too early to tell as it's only pre-season but the investment we made in Kristiansen and Soualttar and both Smith and Maresca seem to not rate them. Glover not off to a good start.

I'm not so sure of that, since both were players that Rodgers had claimed to want. He wanted a tall defender that wasn't a tree for CB, and a Left back that could be effective on the overlap but wouldn't commit too hard so he could track back fast.

I'd say that Glover got Rodgers players in the exact profile he wanted, it's just that what Rodgers wanted wasn't particularly specific or useful in all systems.

So far this summer, with a manager with a defined system and extremely specific profiles in mind, Glover appears to be smashing it.

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

We were also told that the signings being brought in were a return to the club model as opposed to manager driven. Hopefully they get a fair chance, Souttar IMO is the best defender we have at this club.

I agree tbf, I've liked what I've seen of Souttar and VK has looked good if not anything amazing.

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Either this signing would mean a change in system to what we're expecting or Giles won't compete with those others for a place, he'll literally be playing on the left wing. I don't have a problem with that as long as we sign a left footed right winger who will be more of a goal threat. I actually think it's quite beneficial to have two wingers of the same footedness, don't think having a slight asymmetrical approach is all that terrible, having one wide player more comfortable setting them up and another finishing them isn't an issue. Especially given we're likely to have Vardy and Daka down the middle. Not everyone can be looking to score, there's got to be creators.

So the team is starting to take shape isn't it. 

Something like:

image.png.372f036ad3ce5d366eeebb8425418943.png

Ooooo, you’ve teased us all with your prediction of keeper mate?

Going to be Mads surely?

10 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Either this signing would mean a change in system to what we're expecting or Giles won't compete with those others for a place, he'll literally be playing on the left wing. I don't have a problem with that as long as we sign a left footed right winger who will be more of a goal threat. I actually think it's quite beneficial to have two wingers of the same footedness, don't think having a slight asymmetrical approach is all that terrible, having one wide player more comfortable setting them up and another finishing them isn't an issue. Especially given we're likely to have Vardy and Daka down the middle. Not everyone can be looking to score, there's got to be creators.

So the team is starting to take shape isn't it. 

Something like:

image.png.372f036ad3ce5d366eeebb8425418943.png

I have a hunch the right winger will be right footed too. 

With links to a targetman striker, Enzo's  emphasis about getting balls into the box, which the two #8's will be able to do having Winks and Ricardo behind them, the burden of getting balls into the box will fall on the wingers who I suspect will be two players comfortable staying wide and working the touchline. 

But with links to Mavididi, it's also possible that he might want the option off the bench of wide players who like to come inside just incase he wants to mix it up. 

As I type this, he could view Albrighton as that defensive winger on the right though and sign an inside forward like Amad Diallo to give him that balance. 

27 minutes ago, Scotch said:

With links to a targetman striker, Enzo's  emphasis about getting balls into the box, which the two #8's will be able to do having Winks and Ricardo behind them, the burden of getting balls into the box will fall on the wingers who I suspect will be two players comfortable staying wide and working the touchline. 

But with links to Mavididi, it's also possible that he might want the option off the bench of wide players who like to come inside just incase he wants to mix it up. 

As I type this, he could view Albrighton as that defensive winger on the right though and sign an inside forward like Amad Diallo to give him that balance. 

I don't think we have the luxury of defensive choices and attacking choices - it'll be one in one out from now I'm guessing with Albrighton as a backup RW / RWB, Giles possibly replacing Thomas as a LW/LWB, Madvididivivivivi replacing Barnes. A Piroe etc it Hacho goes.

6 minutes ago, RedSoxUK said:

I don't think we have the luxury of defensive choices and attacking choices - it'll be one in one out from now I'm guessing with Albrighton as a backup RW / RWB, Giles possibly replacing Thomas as a LW/LWB, Madvididivivivivi replacing Barnes. A Piroe etc it Hacho goes.

Well, Giles/Albrighton would be the more defensive options to Mavididi/Diallo.... Different types of players for the same position to cover different situations.

2 hours ago, SafewayFox said:

Ooooo, you’ve teased us all with your prediction of keeper mate?

Going to be Mads surely?

Oh yeah don't read too much in to that I just cropped the snip too high and cut his name out. Obviously Mads. 

44 minutes ago, Scotch said:

I think there's like 0.000001% chance that Maresca's vision is to ping crosses at some donkey all year tbh. 

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I think there's like 0.000001% chance that Maresca's vision is to ping crosses at some donkey all year tbh. 

He spoke a few time about getting players into the box. Watching the Northampton game, the two 8's definately done that. The striker will do that and so will the winger that doesn't have the ball. That's 4 players in there, it doesn’t make sense to not try and feed one of them. 

I'm not necessarily talking about lumping it up to the big guy but more, drag the opposition central, find space for the winger, get it out to him and have him find one of the bodies, wether that be a cross from deep, through ball or a cut back from the byline. 

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We were also told that the signings being brought in were a return to the club model as opposed to manager driven. Hopefully they get a fair chance, Souttar IMO is the best defender we have at this club.

I’ve heard that Enzo is having more of a say in transfers, just down to how impressed they are with him. So far if he has you would suggest he’s made good suggestions….. not like signing an aggressive front footed defender…… who isn’t a an aggressive front footed defender…..

23 minutes ago, Scotch said:

He spoke a few time about getting players into the box. Watching the Northampton game, the two 8's definately done that. The striker will do that and so will the winger that doesn't have the ball. That's 4 players in there, it doesn’t make sense to not try and feed one of them. 

I'm not necessarily talking about lumping it up to the big guy but more, drag the opposition central, find space for the winger, get it out to him and have him find one of the bodies, wether that be a cross from deep, through ball or a cut back from the byline. 

It’s all about cut-backs and drilled crosses causing havoc. 

I don’t think we necessarily NEED a big lump up front just because of the league and fact we are potentially going to be playing with genuine wingers. 

I wonder whether Maresca wants versatility with his wide men.

What I mean by that is on either side he wants one winger who’s main strength is driving down the line with the intent of getting around his man and getting the cross in, additionally creating more space for the No.8’s to work in due to not compacting the space. 

Then also having the option of having a wide man who’s main strength is cutting inside with the No.8’s role to overlap on the outside to force the fullback to keep his shape and not follow the winger coming inside. 

That then allows Enzo to assess the opposition full back’s, see whether they are weaker on the outside or inside and choose the best winger accordingly.

The potential addition of Giles will give us our options on the outside with him on the left and Albrighton on the right. 2 more wingers would be needed however, both who's main strength is cutting inside.

Just a theory I had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I wonder whether Maresca wants versatility with his wide men.

What I mean by that is on either side he wants one winger who’s main strength is driving down the line with the intent of getting around his man and getting the cross in, additionally creating more space for the No.8’s to work in due to not compacting the space. 

Then also having the option of having a wide man who’s main strength is cutting inside with the No.8’s role to overlap on the outside to force the fullback to keep his shape and not follow the winger coming inside. 

That then allows Enzo to assess the opposition full back’s, see whether they are weaker on the outside or inside and choose the best winger accordingly.

The potential addition of Giles will give us our options on the outside with him on the left and Albrighton on the right. 2 more wingers would be needed however, both who's main strength is cutting inside.

Just a theory I had.

Potentially wanya Marcel being an option as a cutter in for your theory but agree we need a minimum of 2 wingers. 

38 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

From what I seen (admittedly only one game) he doesn’t seem ready yet.

Well if we feel he may not progress in the dev squad, it’s got to be a loan or first team I guess 

9 hours ago, Scotch said:

...made for Borges!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ryy said:

Shame he’s going West Ham

...is that due to us moving too slowly to snap up a player!!!

You would think with Maresca at the helm he would have felt that he had a head start on the other players here. Conversely, he may not be a fan of Maresca so it could have been a stumbling block.

A chance to play in the Premier League would be hard to turn down, so good luck to him, he certainly is an exciting player.