Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ryan Giles

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-enzo-maresca-wants-wolves-assist-king-first-leicester-signing-middlesbrough-also-keen

Exclusive: Enzo Maresca wants Wolves assist king as first Leicester signing; Middlesbrough also keen

Ryan Giles of Wolves is wanted by Leicester and Middlesbrough
New Leicester City manager Enzo Maresca is plotting a move for Wolves defender Ryan Giles this summer, TEAMtalk understands.

Giles is back at Wolves after a successful spell on loan at Middlesbrough where he helped the Teessiders reach the Championship play-off semi-finals.

The 23-year-old was instrumental for Boro with 11 assists for Michael Carrick’s side from left-back. To that end, Giles is regarded as one of the best attacking full-backs around at the moment.

As a result, he could finally be given the chance to stake his claim for a place in Julen Lopetegui’s plans next season. That said, he faces a tough task to break into the first-team at Molineux with Wolves well-stocked in the left-back role.

Wolves, who are known to be balancing the books this summer in order to comply with Financial Fair Play regulations, could consider cashing in on Giles if they receive a suitable offer for the defender.

Middlesbrough are keen to bring Giles back to the Riverside. However, it remains to be seen if they can get anywhere near Wolves’ asking price.

Leicester planning major squad rebuild
Leicester, who are planning a major rebuild of their squad following relegation from the Premier League, are admirers of Giles and are keeping tabs on his situation at Wolves. To that end, their new manager Maresca is reportedly well aware of his talents.

Leicester are determined to build a squad capable of winning promotion next season and Giles’ success during loan spells with Cardiff, Blackburn Rovers and Middlesbrough in the Championship makes him an attractive option.

Giles, who is under contract at Wolves until 2025, has made one senior appearance for Wolves but has played over 100 times in the Championship during his various loan deals.

• Thanks 1

If we are going after Giles I imagine it would probably mean that Thomas is leaving

I think he seems the more likely out of him and Kristiansen to be leaving

Would prefer Ryan Manning on a free if we are going for a left back though

Edited by moore_94

3 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

If we are going after Giles I imagine it would probably mean that Thomas is leaving

I think he seems the more likely out of him and Kristiansen to be leaving

Would prefer Ryan Manning on a free if we are going for a left back though

Only a year left so Thomas needs to sign a new deal or go 

Wolves need some dosh but surprised if they let such a good prospect leave 

22 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Can't see it tbh. 

Rubbish source and literally one of the most secure positions on the pitch when we're desperate in so many other areas. 

... wouldn't it come down to the style of play we are looking to adopt, as opposed to the position itself!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... wouldn't it come down to the style of play we are looking to adopt, as opposed to the position itself!!!

IF it's true, it would suggest that Maresca is calling the shots over transfer targets in order to shape the squad to his preferred style. I doubt the recruitment team would look at our current squad and think, "Let's focus on the left back area..."

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 2

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/enzo-maresca-plotting-premier-league-8543917

They probably spotted our topic.

Enzo Maresca 'plotting' Premier League deal for Leicester City
Latest Leicester City news from LeicestershireLive as the Foxes are linked with Wolves defender Ryan Giles

ByMichael Baggaley
15:31, 22 JUN 2023

New Leicester City manager Enzo Maresca is said to be ‘plotting a move’ for Wolves defender Ryan Giles.

The 23 year-old spent last season on loan at Middlesbrough where he was a regular and provided 11 assists to help them reach the Championship play-offs.

Wolves have been receiving inquiries about him from all over Europe.

READ MORE: Enzo Maresca stresses 'most crucial aspect' in Leicester City Championship fixture assessment

READ MORE: Leicester City avoid dreaded fixture as opening schedule raises Enzo Maresca excitement further

Matt Jackson, Wolves' strategic player marketing manager, who oversees players out on loan, told the Athletic in a recent interview: “We get calls from all over Europe about him. A lot of times, clubs play 4-3-3 and they want to play him in either of the wide positions in that formation. Teams playing old-fashioned wingers definitely covet him as well.

“He’s proven he has the strength to play as a wing-back, which is not easy. We’ve seen him play as a winger at Cardiff and as a full-back at Middlesbrough and be more productive at Middlesbrough, so it’s not really about the position - it’s about the way the lads are encouraged to play within the system."

Middlesbrough were thought to be interested in re-signing Giles next season and now Leicester are also keen, according to TEAMtalk .

Giles, who has come through the Wolves youth system, is under contract until 2025.

Says to me Enzo’s looking at playing 3 at the back. Being strongly linked with Coady and this lad is a genuine wing back. Back in the day of 4-4-2 and Brexit football he’d have been an old school winger that goes down the line and whips a great ball in. 

enzo is going to want to play a 3 and tends to opt for an attacking wb so i can see why thomas wouldn’t fit in with his plans. 

Giles as a former winger ticks a lot of the boxes maresca will want. 

Seems a waste of VK but I don’t think he’s as well suited to it. 

6 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

enzo is going to want to play a 3 and tends to opt for an attacking wb so i can see why thomas wouldn’t fit in with his plans. 

Giles as a former winger ticks a lot of the boxes maresca will want. 

Seems a waste of VK but I don’t think he’s as well suited to it. 

I can see VK becoming a LCB he’s got height and reasonable technical ability. 

15 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I can see VK becoming a LCB he’s got height and reasonable technical ability. 

The one concern is have is how rash he is. Would he get away with that in the centre? 

Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s JJ that tucks into the 3 .. whenever ricardo is fit that is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lambert09 said:

The one concern is have is how rash he is. Would he get away with that in the centre? 

Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s JJ that tucks into the 3 .. whenever ricardo is fit that is. 

JJ was decent in a three when he did occasionally play it. He’s a great sweeper, so I’d agree. I like VK there’s a bastard in there, and he seems bang up for the challenge. Just harness a bit of that aggression and he could work there. 

• Like 2

If this link does end up having substance to it, then it makes you think Maresca wants players that can accommodate a 4-3-3 and 3-5-2, Giles would be perfect.

Could also mean that selling Thomas becomes more likely. 

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...if his teammates could finish, his stats would be outrageous!!!

Far too much space was given to him, and he puts in a decent ball, Thomas was very good at service from out wide, and seemed to have had it drilled out of his game.

Like you the standout for me was how many chances Middlesborough wasted.  

• Like 1