Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ryan Giles

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If we are going to play wing backs then players of his profile are exactly what we need. Is he also able to play as a winger, no idea it would appear he hasn't done in the past but perhaps Maresca thinks he has the flexibility to convert him to a winger.

I do wonder what becomes of Kristiansen though, just get the feeling he's not that well regarded.

Kristiansen almost seems like he will be a casualty of the "modern fullback" craze should be adopt a certain style/system. He seems like defensively he's extremely capable and doesn't lack energy but may lack the attacking capabilities (also, he may not - which remains to be seen) that so many teams and systems require in the modern iterations of football. I certainly wouldn't regard VK and Giles as "like for like" in the sense that as a LB/Old-School fullback, you'd much rather VK but the minute the system demands anything more you can see why we may be in for Giles or a similar profile of player. 

That said,  I'd be extremely loathe to lose/not utilise VK as I do think he becomes a very good footballer. 

• Like 2

Just now, CaliFOXnia said:

Kristiansen almost seems like he will be a casualty of the "modern fullback" craze should be adopt a certain style/system. He seems like defensively he's extremely capable and doesn't lack energy but may lack the attacking capabilities (also, he may not - which remains to be seen) that so many teams and systems require in the modern iterations of football. I certainly wouldn't regard VK and Giles as "like for like" in the sense that as a LB/Old-School fullback, you'd much rather VK but the minute the system demands anything more you can see why we may be in for Giles or a similar profile of player. 

That said,  I'd be extremely loathe to lose/not utilise VK as I do think he becomes a very good footballer. 

Smith didn't seem to fancy him and it looks like Maresca would rather use Doyle or Castagne in any LCB or LWB role ahead of him.

Perhaps it's far too early to tell as it's only pre-season but the investment we made in Kristiansen and Soualttar and both Smith and Maresca seem to not rate them. Glover not off to a good start.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Either this signing would mean a change in system to what we're expecting or Giles won't compete with those others for a place, he'll literally be playing on the left wing. I don't have a problem with that as long as we sign a left footed right winger who will be more of a goal threat. I actually think it's quite beneficial to have two wingers of the same footedness, don't think having a slight asymmetrical approach is all that terrible, having one wide player more comfortable setting them up and another finishing them isn't an issue. Especially given we're likely to have Vardy and Daka down the middle. Not everyone can be looking to score, there's got to be creators.

So the team is starting to take shape isn't it. 

Something like:

image.png.372f036ad3ce5d366eeebb8425418943.png

Diallo in Praets position? 

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Smith didn't seem to fancy him and it looks like Maresca would rather use Doyle or Castagne in any LCB or LWB role ahead of him.

Perhaps it's far too early to tell as it's only pre-season but the investment we made in Kristiansen and Soualttar and both Smith and Maresca seem to not rate them. Glover not off to a good start.

You're bang on, and I hope both manage to convince Enzo for a chance to prove themselves due to both the financial layouts and the fact that (certainly in VK's case) how well regarded he was across Europe as a talent when we snagged him. 

We are utter dogs**t at developing young players, we never sign a youngster that comes highly regarded and improve them. Never mind promoting them via the circus that is the academy.

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

How many loans has he had? He’s giving tricky trev a run for his money! 

Impressive, though. He's a 23 year old that's been playing first team football since he was 18 and has managed almost 200 senior appearances. Might even be an argument he's played too much football for his age.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Ngl I like the look of him a lot. Rapid, can beat his man, excellent crosser of the ball, really good pick outs. 

Comparing the entire careers of Ricky, JJ, VK and Giles - he has both a better assists per 90 and a better G+A/90 than the lot of them. It gets even better if you compare expected assist goals (not his fault if his team can't finish!) He averages 0.29 expected assists per 90 minutes. For comparison, Ricky 0.13, JJ 0.07, VK 0.08.

He beats them all for progressive carries, beats them all for progressive passes received. Creates more shot-creating actions and goal-creating actions than all of them, too.

What's surprising watching his highlights is he does have the lowest take on completion percentage, even VK has higher (Ricky is the best, duh) but he carries the ball further in the average 90 minutes than JJ.

Now notice how I've not really mentioned his defensive stats at all? Erm, yeah. Best not look at those, it's not really pretty. Conclusion is basically - there's a full back spectrum with Giles at one end and Kristiansen at the other. Giles is by far the best attacker and Kristiansen the best defender (VK massively outperforms JJ and Ricardo defensively on paper.)

Certainly makes sense to why we might want him as a winger then!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Ngl I like the look of him a lot. Rapid, can beat his man, excellent crosser of the ball, really good pick outs. 

Comparing the entire careers of Ricky, JJ, VK and Giles - he has both a better assists per 90 and a better G+A/90 than the lot of them. It gets even better if you compare expected assist goals (not his fault if his team can't finish!) He averages 0.29 expected assists per 90 minutes. For comparison, Ricky 0.13, JJ 0.07, VK 0.08.

He beats them all for progressive carries, beats them all for progressive passes received. Creates more shot-creating actions and goal-creating actions than all of them, too.

What's surprising watching his highlights is he does have the lowest take on completion percentage, even VK has higher (Ricky is the best, duh) but he carries the ball further in the average 90 minutes than JJ.

Now notice how I've not really mentioned his defensive stats at all? Erm, yeah. Best not look at those, it's not really pretty. Conclusion is basically - there's a full back spectrum with Giles at one end and Kristiansen at the other. Giles is by far the best attacker and Kristiansen the best defender (VK massively outperforms JJ and Ricardo defensively on paper.)

Interesting. Wonder if Giles is see as the left wing option then. Especially if the LB/ LCB (Doyle or Kristiansen) will tuck in when we’re in possession…

This makes perfect sense. 

Working on the assumption that we will play similar to how we've lined up in pre-season... Doyle will play LB and step inside to make a back 3 when in possession (which we are hoping is the majority of games). Ricardo steps into that CDM position with Winks, allowing the two #8s to get up and in and around the box which Enzo has spoken about once or twice. 

This means that the only width we will get is from our wingers. So it makes sense to get in traditional wide players. Guys who will just work the touchline and get balls into the box towards those two #8's and a striker, which makes more sense when you consider we've just been linked to a target man. 

Good news if you're Albrighton, it suits his game and would garentee he's at least backup this year. 

I find it worrying that he's never been deemed good enough to even make an appearance for Wolves. 

If we want him for the left wing role then I'd rather we just sign an actual winger...that said we probably need at least 3 wing options. 

53 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

48 apps 0 goals last season. We've got to target wingers with some kind of goal threat considering we've lost Tielemans, Maddison and Barnes

11 assists and would've had more if not for poor finishing whilst playing as a wing back. Does beg the question of where exactly you play him in this system we've been playing though. I don't see an exact position other than maybe left wing.

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Can't help but ask the question, why are Wolves willing to sell him for just £5m? Seems too good to be true. We'll offer them £15m

If ignore the £5million, that can't be substantiated as what Wolves want now. Probably some obscure Boro Journo before he had the brilliant season he just had. Probably not far off £10 to £15m. 

56 minutes ago, StanSP said:

So will we play him as a LB or LWB or LW? 

Good that he seems to have some versatility. 

Can play all 3 but not really capable of cutting in on his right foot.

He's one of the best prospects in the division, could easily go to a Premier League club. Is he a signing we need... depends how we use him.But he's young, already good and got a lot of potential, which are usually the traits of or best signings.

• Like 1

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

Can play all 3 but not really capable of cutting in on his right foot.

He's one of the best prospects in the division, could easily go to a Premier League club. Is he a signing we need... depends how we use him.But he's young, already good and got a lot of potential, which are usually the traits of or best signings.

Yep, low purchase fee, sell on for a higher fee. 

Good to go back to the model that made us successful. 

• Like 2