Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ryan Giles

I wouldn’t be shocked if Thomas is moved on, I have concerns regards his physicality and the championship could expose those flaws even more as it’s unforgiving. Also rumours about cliques etc, could mean players will be sold to enable the manager to bring in players with the right mindset and mentality 

3 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

He looks like exactly what we need in a LB. Lets hope this is true and it happens.

Giles on the left and JJ on the right. Attacking FBs.

I have a sneaky feeling that JJ will be at RCB this year. 

Many coaches who play 3 at the back (Maresca being one) have taken to converting a FB to play one of the wide CB roles in a three because it gives them the ability to seamlessly switch to a four. McKenna does it at Ipswich with Donacien at RCB, Steve Clarke does it with Scotland with Tierney at LCB and recently with Porteous at RCB. 

It would mean that if Ricardo bombed on, JJ could slip out to RB leaving four at the back or JJ could overlap Ricky and create overloads on that side. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Scotch said:

Many coaches who play 3 at the back (Maresca being one) have taken to converting a FB to play one of the wide CB roles in a three because it gives them the ability to seamlessly switch to a four. McKenna does it at Ipswich with Donacien at RCB, Steve Clarke does it with Scotland with Tierney at LCB and recently with Porteous at RCB. 

It would mean that if Ricardo bombed on, JJ could slip out to RB leaving four at the back or JJ could overlap Ricky and create overloads on that side. 

Agreed, this would make so much sense. IIRC, one of the only weaknesses we were worried about with JJ was balls being played over the top and him being exposed in the air. However, if you've got Souttar in behind him as the central CB, he can deal with winning those headers all season long.

So could be LWB, Faes, Souttar, JJ, Ricardo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scotch said:

Yes this system could well work. Though I have one major requirement of CBs especially in this system.

It's, they must be quick and mobile which is something thats hard to find in CBs. Rspecially one's with experience.

The other issue is CBs are the last resort defensively which is fine.  I mentioned throughout last season our failure to stop teams further from our Goal. We failed to do that or deal with it and so the result is we now find ourselves relegated.

We've got to put together a midfield that can transition quickly from defence to attack and vice versa. That means employing Midfielders who are generally a little bigger stronger with pace and are comfortable with or on the Ball.

That's how you reduce pressure on the defence and concede less goals.

With a mobile Midfield and FBs you could cope with our slower CBs we have in Vesty Evans Faes and Souttar.

But we don't know the makeup of our squad yet as it's too early for Enzo who has to be given time to find out what he has in the left over squad. Time will reveal all.

2 hours ago, Scotch said:

We played like this for a period under Rodgers.

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Wolves will surely be integrating him in to their squad this season.

I was going to say… if he was that impressive they will hang on to him.

To be honest I think our defence will remain largely as it is. With maybe two new CB arriving…. But to have VK, JJ, Thomas and potentially a fully fit Ricardo….. at that level we’re laughing. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Wolves will surely be integrating him in to their squad this season.

Might be quite hard for him to get into their squad as they already have Ait-Nouri, Jonny, and Bueno

Edited by moore_94

22 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Might be quite hard for him to get into their squad as they already have Ait-Nouri, Jonny, and Bueno

Possibly, but I'd expect them to look to move others on. They need to lower their wage bill / raise money and the best way to do that is get rid of estabkished players and injury prone players and replace with upcoming talent.

4 hours ago, LVFox said:

No chance we bring in a left back. Kristiansen and Thomas will both have really important seasons for us.

...if we play with a back three, then we need Wing Backs!!!

Giles on the left looks like what we need, you can see he already knows that supplying is what his role is about, and he delivers quality balls in different shades into the box. Unlike most, he does look to keep it on the floor.

Kristiansen and Thomas have swapped the position all of last season, there is a big element that neither has been deemed good enough to be handed that role and that leaves a big hole for someone to walk in and claim it for themself. 

It will be a big season for Ricardo and JJ, failing to come back from injuries make you start to worry and we could still have both breaking down within the season. Wormleighton I believe would be cover for the right, with JJ's versatility to cover the left, we might find ourselves sorted in what will be one of the most important positions for this new team.

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Possibly, but I'd expect them to look to move others on. They need to lower their wage bill / raise money and the best way to do that is get rid of estabkished players and injury prone players and replace with upcoming talent.

As we have found easier said than done. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

The idea of this gives me dread, based purely on the PTSD of what happened the last time we brought in someone on the fringes at Wolves. :colder:

FFS i thought this was now when you posted that!

Don't do this. Arghhhhhhhhhh

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12316517/Kelechi-Iheanacho-Harvey-Barnes-lead-Leicester-departures-Foxes-boss-Enzo-Maresca-continues-squad-overhaul.html

"If Barnes’ move progresses as expected, Leicester may consider a move for Ryan Giles, the Wolves winger available for about £5m and also targeted by Middlesbrough and newly-promoted Luton."

image.png.b79de6560c5cf3a04e14ddfb6d50c893.png

Covered literally everywhere down the left wing for Middlesbrough last season as he picked up 11 assists

pleasaseeee! absolute weapon 

16 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12316517/Kelechi-Iheanacho-Harvey-Barnes-lead-Leicester-departures-Foxes-boss-Enzo-Maresca-continues-squad-overhaul.html

"If Barnes’ move progresses as expected, Leicester may consider a move for Ryan Giles, the Wolves winger available for about £5m and also targeted by Middlesbrough and newly-promoted Luton."

image.png.b79de6560c5cf3a04e14ddfb6d50c893.png

Covered literally everywhere down the left wing for Middlesbrough last season as he picked up 11 assists

would be very very good.