Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Silko Thomas

No issue with signings like this. 19 year old attacking talent with good pedigree from the Chelsea academy on a free. Definitely for the development squad but if he does well enough, even if he doesn’t feature for us, hopefully we can sell him to the EFL in the future.

11 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Never heard of him, but in those clips he's playing with quite a few recognisable names from the Chelsea youth team.

Seems like one of those signings that sits between the U21 and Senior team. For a season in the Championship, a few signings like that are well worth a pop, especially on a free transfer.

@Ric FlairThe kid you are talking about is wanted by clubs around Europe. No chance of us getting him, unfortunately.

He's to date played U18 football. European clubs coming in for him and having to play in their reserve / academy team or come to one of the most gorgeous payers in the country for their level and stand a good chance of 1st team football under a very innovative coach?

He's going Anderlecht, we'd sign players from Anderlecht this summer if we wanted to.

45 minutes ago, LeePhilpottsBaldSpot said:

I think there was a small fee tbf, but Muzzy Izzet was older than this guy and on nowhere near Chelsea's first team when he came to us. He did alright.

Plenty of players have gone on to have great careers after being released by big clubs when young. Two of England's best players got released from other clubs' academies - Harry Kane (Arsenal) and Declan Rice (Chelsea).

Doesn't mean Silko Thomas will be great (I'd never heard of him before opening this thread!), but I don't think being released by Chelsea at 19 is a barrier to him being a decent addition.

Izzet was a £800k sale not a release, Kane was released by Arsenal at 9yo and Rice by Chelsea at 14yo. Both obviously not quite excelling in their age group at the clubs and a decision was made to let them go.

Chelsea also don't release 19yo players who are good enough for the Championship favourites. That's no judgement on Silko Thomas's potential but clearly Chelsea don't think he will make the grade otherwise they'd be looking to keep either for themselves or a future sale. I'm almost certain this will be an U23 signing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LeePhilpottsBaldSpot said:

I think there was a small fee tbf, but Muzzy Izzet was older than this guy and on nowhere near Chelsea's first team when he came to us. He did alright.

Plenty of players have gone on to have great careers after being released by big clubs when young. Two of England's best players got released from other clubs' academies - Harry Kane (Arsenal) and Declan Rice (Chelsea).

Doesn't mean Silko Thomas will be great (I'd never heard of him before opening this thread!), but I don't think being released by Chelsea at 19 is a barrier to him being a decent addition.

Spot on. Players are individuals who should be judged by what they do on the pitch. We're not going to blindly buy Alvechurch's striker because Alan Smith was great.

3 hours ago, Gerard said:

Izzet was a £800k sale not a release, Kane was released by Arsenal at 9yo and Rice by Chelsea at 14yo. Both obviously not quite excelling in their age group at the clubs and a decision was made to let them go.

Chelsea also don't release 19yo players who are good enough for the Championship favourites. That's no judgement on Silko Thomas's potential but clearly Chelsea don't think he will make the grade otherwise they'd be looking to keep either for themselves or a future sale. I'm almost certain this will be an U23 signing.

Didnt Kevin De Bruyne get released from Chelsea? If so he went on to do ok i guess :P 

1 hour ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

I don’t think we should gloss over his potential, before we’ve even seen him play.

I'm not glossing over anything, just pointing out the fact he's been released by Chelsea which will be because they don't think he is good enough to eventually play for them or command a transfer fee.

Unlikely that a player of that profile comes here as a first team player.

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

I'm not glossing over anything, just pointing out the fact he's been released by Chelsea which will be because they don't think he is good enough to eventually play for them or command a transfer fee.

Unlikely that a player of that profile comes here as a first team player.

It’s all in the prep. I’m sure they’ve brushed up on the talent spotting this season.

2 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Ah sorry my bad i thought you were discussing Chelsea never letting good players leave :D 

if chelsea kept their youth players they would have had kdb, salah and lukaku all in their prime. Instead of a 100m bill for someone past it. 

Can’t fault the model though, getting 18m for a youth player is great business even if you do let the odd gem go 

But it’s hard to argue that they wouldn’t have a better team now if they just kept some of these players around 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...