Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Will1981

Harry Winks

1 minute ago, westernpark said:

Yeah they are. Just not a fan, one game doesn’t make a different to my opinion. 

Yeah I understand that I've always found him to be overrated by our fans but that's based on his performances not the fact he was born in Nottingham or not an lcfc fan! Wes Morgan was our most successful ever captain ffs. 

• Like 1

Just now, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Yeah I understand that I've always found him to be overrated by our fans but that's based on his performances not the fact he was born in Nottingham or not an lcfc fan! Wes Morgan was our most successful ever captain ffs. 

Yeah I just find it frustrating that people equate commitment to running around a lot(he’s a poor footballer in the premier league so he has to by default). He wanted to leave in the summer, but today he was outstanding in the second half. He’s a really good player at this level but he’s not Leicester till he dies(neither is Morgan), doesn’t mean he couldn’t be our player of the year this season.

Just now, westernpark said:

Yeah I just find it frustrating that people equate commitment to running around a lot(he’s a poor footballer in the premier league so he has to by default). He wanted to leave in the summer, but today he was outstanding in the second half. He’s a really good player at this level but he’s not Leicester till he dies(neither is Morgan), doesn’t mean he couldn’t be our player of the year this season.

OK I think I get what you're saying he's not actually one of our own and the fact he runs around a lot isn't because he loves Leicester. But he did come up through our academy there has to be some connection there same as Thomas and Bray Brooke and Hamza and Co. Even if he did want to leave that's a career decision. 

Just now, Arriba Los Zorros said:

OK I think I get what you're saying he's not actually one of our own and the fact he runs around a lot isn't because he loves Leicester. But he did come up through our academy there has to be some connection there same as Thomas and Bray Brooke and Hamza and Co. Even if he did want to leave that's a career decision. 

Yes definitely, I just don’t like the unconditional love for him, because unlike a couple of players who really wanted to stay(none played of them today), he’s a really enjoyable dynamic player, but he’s not Leicester till he dies. I think he’ll get 20 goals this season if he stays. 

19 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

If he can stay free of injuries he will be the best player in the league by a distance this season. Wouldn't look out of place in a top 10 PL side. I'd have him over Youri any day of the week. 

He could easily play for Fulham or Brentford. I think he's good enough to play for Villa and maybe even be a rotation option at Brighton given how they play.

Fun fact, I put him into a game of Football Manager to see what would happen when we signed him, and he actually did end up winning POTS in that save game! So looks like they have done their research on him properly!

A pleasant surprise is that he's willing to carry the ball and drive forwards. My friends who support Spurs told me he's always been a good player, but always been a conservative and safe passer of the ball, preferring to play sideways rather than forwards. But for us he's doing a lot more than that, he's the one that turns on the ball the most, despite being under pressure and is good at finding the next player to play to. All of our best moves seem to go through him at some point in the sequence.

10M is a lot, but he looks like great business because if we go up, he is definitely good enough to play in the top league. He seems to be a likeable guy too. It will be interesting to see what happens with him, he might end up being a real fans favourite as I see him being a good and loved player by our fans, but not quite good enough to go somewhere else given his age. But you could have said that about Schmeichel and Vardy in the past, and it didn't turn out too badly for them!

I will happily say I vastly underestimated him when we signed him. I'm not sure he's good enough to have had more England caps than James Maddison, but he is a pretty good player.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

He could easily play for Fulham or Brentford. I think he's good enough to play for Villa and maybe even be a rotation option at Brighton given how they play.

Fun fact, I put him into a game of Football Manager to see what would happen when we signed him, and he actually did end up winning POTS in that save game! So looks like they have done their research on him properly!

A pleasant surprise is that he's willing to carry the ball and drive forwards. My friends who support Spurs told me he's always been a good player, but always been a conservative and safe passer of the ball, preferring to play sideways rather than forwards. But for us he's doing a lot more than that, he's the one that turns on the ball the most, despite being under pressure and is good at finding the next player to play to. All of our best moves seem to go through him at some point in the sequence.

10M is a lot, but he looks like great business because if we go up, he is definitely good enough to play in the top league. He seems to be a likeable guy too. It will be interesting to see what happens with him, he might end up being a real fans favourite as I see him being a good and loved player by our fans, but not quite good enough to go somewhere else given his age. But you could have said that about Schmeichel and Vardy in the past, and it didn't turn out too badly for them!

I will happily say I vastly underestimated him when we signed him. I'm not sure he's good enough to have had more England caps than James Maddison, but he is a pretty good player.

I don’t think it is. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

The willingness to carry the ball caught me out too. As with your Spurs supporting friend I always found Winks to be a very passive player. Maybe its the added responsibility and the confidence of playing against lesser opposition but if he carries on like this he’ll be a very good player for us.   

• Like 1

Very tidy.

As the season progresses he's going to be instrumental.

He's the essential footballer that you need in a good side. Doesn't really do anything massively outstanding but is very good at the basics. Very happy he's ours.

14 minutes ago, MPH said:

Let’s here from some of those who had absolutely slated him before he’s even kicked a ball for us.

Let me guess… “ it’s only one game”

Both can be true though right? 

it’s ridiculous to slate him before he’s played for us

it’s ridiculous to think he’s the second coming after only 1 match 

24 minutes ago, MPH said:

Let’s here from some of those who had absolutely slated him before he’s even kicked a ball for us.

Let me guess… “ it’s only one game”

Besides one good performance against Real Madrid 6 years ago the lad has been very average. He was slated based on 6 years of evidence. The type of player he was for Spurs is very different to the one that showed up today.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

I don’t think it is. 

It's definitely not for a Premier League player, which is what he is. But you tell that to Plymouth supporters, who will rightly find that egregious!

27 minutes ago, Dames said:

The willingness to carry the ball caught me out too. As with your Spurs supporting friend I always found Winks to be a very passive player. Maybe its the added responsibility and the confidence of playing against lesser opposition but if he carries on like this he’ll be a very good player for us.   

Some players are instructed to play it safe. In fact in the traditional 4231, the double pivot classically were instructed to do that.

26 minutes ago, Dames said:

Besides one good performance against Real Madrid 6 years ago the lad has been very average. He was slated based on 6 years of evidence. The type of player he was for Spurs is very different to the one that showed up today.

he didn’t get lucky today, he was class. He didn’t  huff and puff’ his way to an industrious performance, he played well, was accurate with his passes. It was just a classic  case of fans passing judgement with no good reason. I mean you said it yourself he played well against Real Madrid and  here he is dropping down a few levels into the championship. Surely that alone was enough reason to reserve judgement until people had seen him play in the championship?

31 minutes ago, Dames said:

I’d back an average premier league  player to do well in the championship any day of the week..

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1