Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Will1981

Harry Winks

Found the reaction to his signing from some to be realy bizarre. He was always going to be an absolute class above at this level. When we went up in 2002/2003 and Izzet was that for us, we all said he made the difference in those tight games. Now we genuinely have 7-8 players who can make that difference when we aren't at our best.

• Like 4

Cut above 

Most of these players have spent a long, long time playing week in and week out against much higher quality than what they're going to face in this division, they're going to find time and space by the bucket load... I'm not saying its going to be easy.....but we will piss this league (easy) 😜

:vardy::nacho::ricardo:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MPH said:

he didn’t get lucky today, he was class. He didn’t  huff and puff’ his way to an industrious performance, he played well, was accurate with his passes. It was just a classic  case of fans passing judgement with no good reason. I mean you said it yourself he played well against Real Madrid and  here he is dropping down a few levels into the championship. Surely that alone was enough reason to reserve judgement until people had seen him play in the championship?

Since that performance he’s spent 6 years passing it sideways and backwards. Today was a good start and definitely a lot more forward thinking than I was expecting. I hope he keeps it up and gains the confidence to take it forward if we go up. 

1 minute ago, Dames said:

Since that performance he’s spent 6 years passing it sideways and backwards. Today was a good start and definitely a lot more forward thinking than I was expecting. I hope he keeps it up and gains the confidence to take it forward if we go up. 

Just shows how Maresca has adapted his qualities to utilise them. Perhaps those coaching previously wanted him to play sideways and backwards. I don't know if this is the case, obviously. Perhaps when players are asked to play in a different way, they actually thrive in that responsibility. I hoped he would be decent at this level, but if he sustains that level of performance, I think he'll walk into the Championship team of the year.

I’m not going with the ‘he’s just brilliant’ line yet.

Offensively, he set us up on quick attacks many times.

Defensively, I thought he was suspect.

It’s typical FT though. If we were playing a Championship side with a more cutting edge (or just a better finisher) yesterday, we’d have lost as the game would have been out of sight.

As it was, they spurned their chances and we took complete advantage of that.

I’m reserving judgement for quite a few weeks yet as I thought we were lucky to win yesterday.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Found the reaction to his signing from some to be realy bizarre. He was always going to be an absolute class above at this level. When we went up in 2002/2003 and Izzet was that for us, we all said he made the difference in those tight games. Now we genuinely have 7-8 players who can make that difference when we aren't at our best.

Well, not necessarily. There was a worry his head could’ve been ‘gone’ and trust me when a footballer is finished with the game, they’re finished, no matter how talented. 

However,  super impressed with his attitude and general approach to the club. 

24 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I’m not going with the ‘he’s just brilliant’ line yet.

Offensively, he set us up on quick attacks many times.

Defensively, I thought he was suspect.

It’s typical FT though. If we were playing a Championship side with a more cutting edge (or just a better finisher) yesterday, we’d have lost as the game would have been out of sight.

As it was, they spurned their chances and we took complete advantage of that.

I’m reserving judgement for quite a few weeks yet as I thought we were lucky to win yesterday.

mfirst competitive game with a new manager new style and 4 new starters then I feel we were allowed to be a Bit edgy.. I feel we will get better and we have more signings to come took 

Absolutely agree however that with some better finishing we would have lost that… but maybe that’s the standard of the championships and maybe we really are better than everyone else.

• Like 2

Where he tracked back when Cov hit us from a long goal kick, and he brought it down on his left foot from over his should was class.

He impressed me, early doors and hoping him (and others) will improve as the season goes on.

Essentially was a pre season game yesterday, in terms of getting proper minutes in, earlier pre season games were a car crash.

Looks a very shrewd buy to me. Think we've benefitted from him losing his way under a series of managers that don't really suit his game while Maresca, in theory should be perfect for him. He won't be getting the goals as I've already noticed he never shoots but he'll run the game. England don't historically produce many midfielders of this sort of ilk.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Well, not necessarily. There was a worry his head could’ve been ‘gone’ and trust me when a footballer is finished with the game, they’re finished, no matter how talented. 

However,  super impressed with his attitude and general approach to the club. 

That's true. We seen how important attitude is last season. I just think some of the over the top bad reactions on here were really strange. Some reacted to signing Coady and Winks like we were still going for European football.

Quality!... Think he's a great buy for us, and a great move for him.

He looks like he was really enjoying his football. Thought he worked really hard, which was nice to see in that shirt.

He could be a very shrewd buy for us. I also thought he looked like he was buzzing in the post match interview with KDH  A rarity in recent months from any of our team!

Consistency has always been Harry’s issue, he is also lazy when his team doesn’t have the ball, Poch spent a lot of one to one time with him trying to illicit that inner drive to try and get him motivated to work hard and track back consistently, it never happened 

offensively he is a premier league player, defensively he isn’t even a championship player at times, especially not in a team set up like Enzo will push 

let’s see what he is like in Nov/Dec 

personally I feel he is a wonderful talent about to re-emerge 

Edited by LinekersLugs

42 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

Consistency has always been Harry’s issue, he is also lazy when his team doesn’t have the ball, Poch spent a lot of one to one time with him trying to illicit that inner drive to try and get him motivated to work hard and track back consistently, it never happened 

offensively he is a premier league player, defensively he isn’t even a championship player at times, especially not in a team set up like Enzo will push 

let’s see what he is like in Nov/Dec 

personally I feel he is a wonderful talent about to re-emerge 

The defensive midfield issue is a concern for me 

I don’t see enzo as the type to play Russian roulette on transitions and see how it goes - if Harry isn’t able to do the dirty defensive side well enough then we only get away with it because the championship forwards aren’t clinical enough 

at the moment Ricky is his sidekick in the overload but I wonder if we’ll see someone else emerge to do that job who is more inclined ‘to put a foot in ‘ 

15 hours ago, STUHILL said:

He is a deluxe Matty James. Keeps things ticking over. These types of players often don't get the headlines, but they are essential in a well organised team. 

Absolutely 100% this. I loved Matty James, he owned the championship last time we were in it and Winks is a big step up from Matty. Expecting big things from him this year. 

• Like 1