Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Will1981

Harry Winks

14 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Weird that the Spurs fans didn't rate him and ended up very anti him. I don't get what's not to like plus he came up through their academy since he was a boy. He can't have been a worse option than the likes of Hojberg, Sissokho, Ndombele and others. 

Think some of it was down to the style of football/how he fitted in. He was never going to be a Conte player. Just doesn't have the attributes to fit a typical system of his. 

On 10/08/2023 at 07:27, Leeds Fox said:

The special thing is that he doesn’t do anything special, keeps possession, always offers an option and when the gaps open up he breaks the line and he exploits it and gets us on the attack. That’s intelligent football, it’s an art in itself. 

Exactly this. Players such as Winks are often hugely underrated in terms of what they offer to a team, certainly in this style of play. 

He keeps things ticking over and allows everyone else to do their job and the more fancy stuff 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pete52 said:

Think some of it was down to the style of football/how he fitted in. He was never going to be a Conte player. Just doesn't have the attributes to fit a typical system of his. 

Ironically he'd have done well there now with postecogulus style of play. Oh well too bad! 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Weird that the Spurs fans didn't rate him and ended up very anti him. I don't get what's not to like plus he came up through their academy since he was a boy. He can't have been a worse option than the likes of Hojberg, Sissokho, Ndombele and others. 

If you don't play a system he's suited to and expect him to contribute a lot out of possession he will look pretty average to poor.

Put him in a system he thrives in and make him the focal point, you should have a very good player on your hands.

We are even in a position now that we can't afford him to get injured! He's that important to how we play.

I was against the signing initially as I wanted younger players with a higher ceiling....and some more dynamic central midfielders after watching Tielemans for the past 18 months ...I'm softening on that stance now though! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The ability to pass a ball to someone wearing the same colour shirt and to keep possession of the ball is often very underated by some. Believe he once got a MOM at the Bernabau in the Champions league so not half bad on your CV. The manager rates him and that is what matters

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Exactly this. Players such as Winks are often hugely underrated in terms of what they offer to a team, certainly in this style of play. 

He keeps things ticking over and allows everyone else to do their job and the more fancy stuff 

Exactly how we won the league, 8 players who did their jobs really well 7 out of 10 every week and Mahrez, Kante and Vardy who were amongst the best players in the league/world that season.

• Like 2

Does he not like using his left foot to pass to Mavididi?

Quite a few times he could have passed to Mavididi today with his left whilst he was out in plenty of space and decided to cut back inside and go back across the pitch with his right

Even the crowd were getting annoyed by Mavididi seemingly being ignored in the 2nd half

Other than that though another good game from him including a great run to pick up a loose ball outside the box and get the defence out of trouble in the 2nd half

Edited by moore_94

4 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Does he not like using his left foot to pass to Mavididi?

Quite a few times he could have passed to Mavididi today with his left whilst he was out in plenty of space and decided to cut back inside and go back across the pitch with his right

Even the crowd were getting annoyed by Mavididi seemingly being ignored in the 2nd half

Other than that though another good game from him including a great run to pick up a loose ball outside the box and get the defence out of trouble in the 2nd half

There were some real frustrations boiling between Mavididi, Winks and Faes in the 2nd half. A few times WInks was complaining to Mavididi before Winks had even played a pass, and Faes was complaining about some of the balls played to him. So much play comes through Winks - there is a lot of pressure on him. I found the frustrations interesting as i couldn't work out if it was them losing patience with the system, or just them not really gelling fully yet. I did like that Winks was standing up for himself.

Mavididi was starting to look really, really annoyed at times in the 2nd half. He was hugging the line with loads of space with his arms in the air, and when he inevitably was ignored he was visibly frustrated. Didn't feel to me he was timing runs particularly well which is why Winks was cutting inside. 

Edited by Chelmofox

Just shows the folly of not cashing in on Tielemens, we could have got 10m-15m and signed a player like Winks with change.

I know we are playing in the Championship and technically he's not as gifted, but the extra effort from someone who actually wants to be here is evident.

With a few marginal gains like this we could have stay up.

Edited by coolhandfox

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Just shows the folly of not cashing in on Tielemens, we could have got 10m-15m and signed a player like Winks with change.

I know we are playing in the Championship and technically he's not a gifted, but the extra effort from someone who actually wants to be here is evident.

Wow. This is ridiculous.

21 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

What thst Winks isnt as technically gifted as Tielemans?

You think Winks is? 

I suggest you look back at Youri goals and assists.

2 different types of midfielder.

If you want to look back at Youri's goals and assists you need to take into account what Winks has done in his last 3 games for us.

Take the ball over the top from Cov in the 1st game, no way Youri does what Winks did with that.

I agree, on of his game Youri is a brilliant player, but he doesn't do for us what Winks has been brought in to do

On 19/08/2023 at 22:44, Chelmofox said:

Mavididi was starting to look really, really annoyed at times in the 2nd half. He was hugging the line with loads of space with his arms in the air, and when he inevitably was ignored he was visibly frustrated. Didn't feel to me he was timing runs particularly well which is why Winks was cutting inside. 

...I gave noticed that Mavididi does gesture for the pass in previous fanes but never received the ball!!!

I think he wants and needs the pass to be made sooner, but if you could get him in he would be clear on goal.

Hopefully someone like Casadei can find him early and release him.

58 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I know we are playing in the Championship and technically he's not as gifted, but the extra effort from someone who actually wants to be here is evident.

17 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

2 different types of midfielder.

If you want to look back at Youri's goals and assists you need to take into account what Winks has done in his last 3 games for us.

Take the ball over the top from Cov in the 1st game, no way Youri does what Winks did with that.

I agree, on of his game Youri is a brilliant player, but he doesn't do for us what Winks has been brought in to do

As my prior post, my point of view is Winks would have done a better job then Youri last season. 

He's given us bite and workrate and leadership, which can mean more the technical ability.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1