Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Freeman's Wharfer

Will we get the record?

Halfway point: will we get the record?  

297 members have voted

1. 1. We’re halfway through the season. Will we beat Reading’s points record? (106 points)

• Yes
    • No

We’ll see where we are at the end of Jan. losing Ndidi, Iheanacho, Daka, Souttar, and Fatawu - Vestergaard is also one booking away from a 2 match ban, hopefully, they are smart and he strategically gets this before Souttar goes away for a month.

Jan could also be big in terms of ins and outs transfer wise. If we are still on course after we play Stoke away nothing will stop us I believe.

• Like 1

No. I think we will drop points in January and we have still to go to places like Leeds and Ipswich. 

100 points is very possible, but I suspect we'll fall just short. 

Not that it matters as I think we'll have promotion done and dusted early enough to start transfer dealings before most of the teams we'll be competing with.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bilo said:

No. I think we will drop points in January and we have still to go to places like Leeds and Ipswich. 

100 points is very possible, but I suspect we'll fall just short. 

Not that it matters as I think we'll have promotion done and dusted early enough to start transfer dealings before most of the teams we'll be competing with.

I also think we’ll fall just short. Something like 104/105 points.

It feels like people are taking for granted just how ridiculously good that return from the first 23 games has been. We’ve hardly drawn any matches and, as you say, we still have to go to some tough away games like Leeds and Ipswich as well as still having to play the second best side in the league (Ipswich) twice.

• Like 1

Just now, Freeman's Wharfer said:

I also think we’ll fall just short. Something like 104/105 points.

It feels like people are taking for granted just how ridiculously good that return from the first 23 games has been. We’ve hardly drawn any matches and, as you say, we still have to go to some tough away games like Leeds and Ipswich as well as still having to play the second best side in the league (Ipswich) twice.

It's also worth pointing out that Reading only lost three games all season that year and went 33 unbeaten at one stage.

Admittedly they drew a lot (13 games,) but they were ridiculously difficult to beat. 

24 minutes ago, brucey said:

For what it's worth, Reading had 56 points at this halfway stage, so we're only tracking 2 points ahead currently. A lot will depend on how we deal with AFCON, and the end of season games (after an auto spot is confirmed :fc:). I have faith in Enzo that he'll manage it well enough. 

They had played 24 games by Christmas and had 56 points (I read somewhere else)

The foundations are now far far stronger for us than in 2014, people say about there being a lot of dross in the championship but I think there's 5-6 teams every season in the PL that just tick over don't really do a lot, won't get relegated won't get Europe. Ya likes of Palace, Brentford, Fulham, Wolves, Forest, Everton. With the right decisions made over the next year or so, a top 10 finish next season isn't beyond the realms of reality.

5 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

Fair enough, I’ve got that wrong! 

I’m changing my mind from a yes to a no then!!!

Reading had 50 pts in the second half of season (2.17 ppg). 

We need 49 pts to beat that record (2.13 ppg). 

We had 2.52 ppg in the first half of season, so can afford to drop our form by 0.39 ppg. Not much of a margin for error but seems reasonably achievable. 

38 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

We should ABSO****INGLUTELY go for breaking every record we can get. Points, wins, goals scored, least conceded, best goal difference. We need to be the best Championship team of all time, FOR all time, setting records that can NEVER be broken. It will be everlasting proof that this relegation was an aberration.

I'm liking the idea but some of those aren't achievable unless we suddenly start scoring a lot more goals. I think Fulham's 106 goals scored is the Championship record. No, correction, it's Man City 108. I'd be happy with the points record.

41 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

We should ABSO****INGLUTELY go for breaking every record we can get. Points, wins, goals scored, least conceded, best goal difference. We need to be the best Championship team of all time, FOR all time, setting records that can NEVER be broken. It will be everlasting proof that this relegation was an aberration.

So like every season then……

….and relegation was 100% not an aberration, it was utterly deserved, it was a lesson, one we should never forget

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Agree with everything other than the last sentence. Relegation was absolutely not an aberration. Totally deserved 

• Like 1

Will we get promoted - now i am pretty confident. But we have 3 very good teams behind us who will give it everything, so im taking it one game at a time.  A win against Ipswich would be massive.  I think January will be very, very testing for us though, and tougher than many people realise.

Will we break all the records - in December, i actually don't care. If we keep this up and head into March on the same trajectory then I might start to think about it. 

At this point, i don't want it to seem like a failure that we didn't break everything. Let's get the main job done first.