Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LFox99

Why aren't we making actual substitutions in games?

On 09/03/2024 at 17:28, Chelmofox said:

Last time I looked, we're top of the league with a midfield injury crisis and people are still moaning like ****. 

Edited by trooky

A few things that strike me.

#1 - Some people have too much time on their hands (the stats/graphs) :)

#2 - The guy is a young rookie not Klopp/Pep

#3 - I didn't think our squad was that strong at the start of the season, certainly a few unknowns and give #2 I, along with many others as I recall, were bricking it and fearing the worst.

#4 - Pep subbed off KdB at the weekend. They were a few raised eyebrows at that and the player threw a bit of a bit of a paddy. But it's Man City and Pep so it all blows over pretty quick. A rookie like Enzo gets the other end of the stick

#5 - As someone mentioned our bench ain't all that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ourla said:

#5 - As someone mentioned our bench ain't all that

It doesn't matter whether our "bench ain't all that" or not, a fresh legged Marcal on for a gassed Mavididi in the 70th minute ought to provide some benefits. 

Even if he might not be better skillwise, those fresh legs would be a lot of help late in the game where we either need our players to chase around the pitch to defend, or to be able to sprint down the line towards the corner flag.

Mavididi being perceived as the better player doesn't help us much when he hasn't got the lungs to make that run and keep the ball late in the game

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

FFS looks like we've both had the same Monday morning....lol

image.thumb.png.ef80c188e9eeccf615645e85ec19318c.png

Slight downward trend but nothing major. Averages 3.7 subs per game. 

Average minute of each sub:

• 1st sub 59mins
  • 2nd sub 72mins
  • 3rd sub 79mins
  • 4th sub 80mins
  • 5th sub 83mins

Number of subs:

• 0 subs 0/37
  • 1 subs 0/37
  • 2 subs 7/37 matches (19%)
  • 3 subs 9/37 matches (24%)
  • 4 subs 10/37 matches (27%)
  • 5 subs 11/37 (30%)

Of course none of this accounts for non-tactical subs (injuries) or benchmarks it against any other team. 

Interestingly, the 7 matches where he only made 2 subs all occurred from matchday 15 onwards and the results were:

image.png.a12cca3bdb060bd990e4904cee22bf05.png

Earlier on in the season there was a run where he made 4 or 5 subs each game, from matchday 4 to 14. We won 10 out of 11 games. 

But of course, if you're already winning you're probably more likely to make more subs and feel you can risk it! 

So basically in half the games it’s 3 subs or less.  Unacceptable.  Those two extra subs under the newer rules are a freebie, and it’s silly not to use them.   The number should never be less than four.

I have said this before and been shot down for it. This manager besides all the other attributes he lacks or has, his one big failing is that he does not like to be criticised. This can be seen with his outburst earlier on at the start of our poor form when he said he would leave rather than change.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LFox99 said:

It doesn't matter whether our "bench ain't all that" or not, a fresh legged Marcal on for a gassed Mavididi in the 70th minute ought to provide some benefits. 

Even if he might not be better skillwise, those fresh legs would be a lot of help late in the game where we either need our players to chase around the pitch to defend, or to be able to sprint down the line towards the corner flag.

Mavididi being perceived as the better player doesn't help us much when he hasn't got the lungs to make that run and keep the ball late in the game

He kept subbing mavididi again and again, and it wasnt working, I even made a thread on it.

We lost all outlet down his side, and the opposing team would then bring more players forward increasing pressure on us.

One of the Leeds scorers was the guy brought on to contain Mavididi, we hooked Mavididi then the guy ventured forward and scored.

Mavididi getting marked out of the game, so fans think he is shite, but hes still drawing those players out the game, then whoever comes on for him, they dont perform any better despite fresh legs and even when unmarked.  He is quite an underestimated player.

The solution is for Enzo to change things up, do more through the centre, draws players away from the wingers, then switch back to wingers and they can cause damage, he needs to become more flexible and not stick to a rigid system, its really annoying to see us keep trying the same thing again and again in a game.  A poster above touched upon this as well and said he thinks its also causing lack of options on subs as Enzo is trying to switch like for like to keep the same system.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Oldblueyes said:

I have said this before and been shot down for it. This manager besides all the other attributes he lacks or has, his one big failing is that he does not like to be criticised. This can be seen with his outburst earlier on at the start of our poor form when he said he would leave rather than change.

It is a little arrogant for a guy with one managerial failure on his CV when he joined.  Lets hope his confidence is well founded!

8 hours ago, LFox99 said:

The Leeds game says hi (not Marcal - but same point). Once the weaker player came on (McAteer) Leeds didn't need to double up on that side anymore and we lost Mavididi's defensive quality. Mavadidi and Fatawu are offering more than wing pace these days.

6 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

So basically in half the games it’s 3 subs or less.  Unacceptable.  Those two extra subs under the newer rules are a freebie, and it’s silly not to use them.   The number should never be less than four.

I love the 4 number being some sort of definitive performance stat, as in how the game is going and what you have available has no bearing.

3 hours ago, Oldblueyes said:

His 'outburst'? Was there some sort of Keeganesq moment I missed? I believe the actual interview was at the end of Jan when we were winning and was before the Stoke game.

• Like 1

In the FA cup, I would use the  full 5 subs…

Fatawu n Mavididi, run themselves in first 50 minutes into the Ground.

Then Albrighton n Marcal.

Praet if fit..45-50 mins ditto,then Ndidi

i would  start Cannon,again with the other 3, hard running & pressing.

Vardy comes on   60 mins.

1 sub kept ba ck in case of injury,but last 10 mins he can be used,for tiring player.

Get at Chelsea from the start…

On 12/03/2024 at 00:56, Deeg67 said:

No, not really.

In 16 games it's 3 subs or less.

In 21 games it's 4 subs or more. 

Coady and Justin were sensible subs in the moment. But Fatawu got hooked far too early. Whether he's having the game of his life or not, he's still our best threat. Agkun hasn't worked for us as a wide man and we lost that outlet 

• 2 weeks later...

I've just worked it out.

Our players get appearance bonuses and due to FFP, Enzo has been told he can only make a minimal amount of subs per game as we can't afford to pay the bonuses of 15 or 16 players every game! A saving of 2 to 3 bonuses per game - genius