Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LFox99

Why aren't we making actual substitutions in games?

For me when you've got 5 subs, and the squad we have, not making 3/4 subs when youre either looking to go for a goal, or shut up shop is nonesensical. Tired bodies, tired minds. We've seen teams do it to us for more than just this season as rodgers was the same. Souttar, doyle, marcel, daka, nacho, coady are not bad players. Maybe im wrong i dunno

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jayfox26 said:

Bringing Daka on for Vardy seemed an odd decision at that point. Im not a Daka hater like a few on here, but not really sure what Enzo thought he'd add to the game with the way it was finely balanced. Also not sure why Iheanacho gets overlooked on the bench when he's the only one who offers something a bit different our other strikers 

37 year old legs on a heavy horrible pitch for over 100 minutes would be plain daft… and would certainly be risking the GOAT getting injured.

Cannon or Dana had to come on for me

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

37 year old legs on a heavy horrible pitch for over 100 minutes would be plain daft… and would certainly be risking the GOAT getting injured.

Cannon or Dana had to come on for me

Yeh but out of the 2, it should have been Cannon. 

• Like 1

Just now, jayfox26 said:

Yeh but out of the 2, it should have been Cannon. 

Maybe. Very fine margins between them for me. I think he just went with the quickest as there was a lot of space today

11 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

He was quality in his last game against Bournemouth. Deffo deserves a chance over Mavididi atm

He got bullied for the first 75 mins of that game. He then played well towards the end but I’m not convinced Bournemouth were on it after that time. 

7 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Relax. It was said tongue in cheek

It is annoying though. I don't quite get why we are all saying we have no options. You could easily put Marcal and Mcateer out wide to chase down for 15 minutes. I don't see how that's worse than a nackered Mavididi and Fatawu .

Fatawu is absolutely class defensively btw

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dames said:

I personally think the manager is stuck in a bit of a rut and arguably is regretting his decision to join us.

Dont get promoted and you messed up with the most expensive squad in Championship history and get promoted and there’s not budget and a points deduction.

All the signs are pointing to a manager that is currently going through the motions right now. Doesnt know if hes coming or going. He’s in a rock and a hard place because at this early stage in his career he’s facing challenges that are no fault of his own. 

Interesting take.  Surely what makes a manager is being able to cope with such challenges?  Not everyone can start their management career at Barca or manage Man City.

My thoughts are that Enzo knows how much is riding on these games and he doesn’t have full confidence in his bench at the moment. That’s the only thing I can think of. His subs the last few games haven’t been great, and at times we’ve conceded after making the changes. So that’s bound to have an impact on decision making.

I hear that Vardy was told to miss some training last week so his legs were fresh for Hull. Interesting concept that, and goes a way to showing that Enzo doesn’t have the squad he wants/needs to win the league comfortably.

Edited by phoneticerror
  • Like 1

Well Enzo loves to take Mavididi off with a one goal lead, other then that I think he has lost confidence in the squad players.  This might be justified, as I recall in a few games this season when he gave them chances we had issues, and every time he hooked Mavididi we regressed in the game.

2 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Well Enzo loves to take Mavididi off with a one goal lead, other then that I think he has lost confidence in the squad players.  This might be justified, as I recall in a few games this season when he gave them chances we had issues, and every time he hooked Mavididi we regressed in the game.

I don’t quite get what his issue with Marc is. We need experience at the moment and Abdul can be a bit erratic when we need composure.

13 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Bringing Daka on for Vardy seemed an odd decision at that point. Im not a Daka hater like a few on here, but not really sure what Enzo thought he'd add to the game with the way it was finely balanced. Also not sure why Iheanacho gets overlooked on the bench when he's the only one who offers something a bit different our other strikers 

Agree here. I am one of Daka’s biggest defenders on here but 5 minutes left, Vardy on a hat trick. It wasn’t exactly the difference for Vardy having a break and also no where near enough time for any striker to get into the game coming on.

• Like 1

We dont really have any fast skillful players on the bench who’re going to frighten the oppositions defence at the sight of them coming on, i.e Omari Hutchinson at Ipswich and Dan James at Leeds. Just seem to have a lot of the same types of player who arent going to offer anything different to the starting 11. When Fatawu first joined you knew you had something in reserve if we needed it, now theres no one on the bench with a wow factor.

Edited by South Shire Fox

14 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

Be nice if a journalist asked why we make so few substitutions 

He has been asked about this, explanation and context here: 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/enzo-maresca-explains-leicester-city-9151131

Ricardo, McAteer, Praet and Alves are expected to be back after the international break so we may see more rotation then. 

Edited by lcfc_forever
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

I think Vardy was at risk of picking up an injury. I don't think he can play 90 let alone 100mins. Its not just the running it's the time on feet. Better to get him off, rest him for 3 days then have him back in training ready for the following weekend than injured.

I think 

13 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

It is annoying though. I don't quite get why we are all saying we have no options. You could easily put Marcal and Mcateer out wide to chase down for 15 minutes. I don't see how that's worse than a nackered Mavididi and Fatawu .

He really is. I wonder if he could have filled the Ricardo/Hamza role and left space for Albrighton to potentially change the game yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

I'm not having that the options on the bench don't fit his system and that's why he doesn't use them. 

The likes of Coady were signed by him, as was Cannon and then players like Wanya and Albrighton have contributed to wins (often to nil) in the cup competitions this season.

He's being extremely stubborn and it's the first thing I'd question his man management on, which up to this point has been brilliant.

• Like 3

A few comments have been made claiming our bench isn't good enough, whilst our bench options may not be better or get in our starting 11, we have one of if not the strongest squads in the division, our bench options are far better than most other teams in this league and they'd walk into their teams, when players in our starting 11 are tiring use the bleeding bench!

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

MacAteer is injured and has been woeful in his last few appearances.

Fatawu is absolutely class defensively btw.

There’s 3 reasons.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm not having that the options on the bench don't fit his system and that's why he doesn't use them. 

The likes of Coady were signed by him, as was Cannon and then players like Wanya and Albrighton have contributed to wins (often to nil) in the cup competitions this season.

He's being extremely stubborn and it's the first thing I'd question his man management on, which up to this point has been brilliant.

I think Albrighton has been seriously underused this season. He still has something to give 

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Interesting take.  Surely what makes a manager is being able to cope with such challenges?  Not everyone can start their management career at Barca or manage Man City.

True but remember at the start of the season when he was putting 2 goalies on the bench in protest at lack of signings and then come January we’re the only squad in the top 6 to come out weaker than when we started. 

Now all of a sudden he’s not using his bench like he was earlier in the season and the team are being allowed to play with a tad less intensity than they have previously. 

I imagine if he got another offer tomorrow he’d jump.