Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Super_horns

Most defining sporting moment

of the last 30 years,

5live have compiled a list.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/68507536

Which would you go for and should anything else be there?

Probably go for the Ashes and Andy Murray winning Wimbledon as that hadn’t happened for a long time.

Super Saturday was fantastic too.

Guess they all are memorable really!

Edited by Super_horns
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

some great moments but for sheet sporting theatre I think the cricket world cup final take some beating

Ben Stokes Headingly innings deserves a shout too.

As if @Super_horns posted this here not expecting us to bring up the obvious LCFC moment that deserves it's place on this list of iconic sporting successes. 

One of the greatest sporting stories of all time, let alone the last 30 years, immortalised in image.

I am of course talking about...

skysports-samir-nasri-gettyimages-653365 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Ben Stokes Headingly innings deserves a shout too.

it does indeed. It was an incredible last hour that. I think if it had resulted in us winning the Ashes then it would be 100% top of the list.

I rewatched that last hour the other day - amazing drama with the LBW shout that AUS burned their last review on and then needed it when there Stokes was LBW and wasn't given.

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

of the last 30 years,

5live have compiled a list.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/68507536

Which would you go for and should anything else be there?

Probably go for the Ashes and Andy Murray winning Wimbledon as that hadn’t happened for a long time.

Super Saturday was fantastic too.

Guess they all are memorable really!

Putting aside the glaring omission. Gone for England Rugby win, Super Saturday and the 2005 Ashes

• Like 1

List is clearly based on moments that 5Live were broadcasting live themselves. Talksport had both the Spurs-Chelsea game on the night we became champions, and they had the Leicester-Everton trophy lift game as well. 

Would urge people to realise this before they wet the bed about omitting us too much.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Gone for England Rugby win

It's weird I have absolutely no recollection of this. I'm pretty sure it's a misprint. England have never won the world cup.

RWC in 2003 was called off. Everyone turned up and and the Aussies were expecting 13 a side so it got scrapped.

• Haha 3

On 22/03/2024 at 13:35, Raj said:

image.png.94b8c0faa35181ae4f8a169660c85226.png

Tyson losing to Buster Douglas

This is my choice too.  This was when boxing was a mainstream sport.  Tyson could and should have gone on to dominate the heavyweight division for 10 years and was viewed as invincible. This sent shockwaves around the sporting world.  A peak Tyson (86-89 ISH) gives any heavyweight in history fits with speed power and head movement.  Sadly his head was turned by don king and the high life and he was never the same after losing Kevin Rooney as trainer.  The head movement and punches in bunches disappeared and he just became a short heavyweight with short arms looking for one KO shot and lost to anyone he couldn't bully or intimidate.

Edited by rugbyblue
  • Like 1