Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

3 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Saw "Three Billboards" last night. Best film I've seen for 1-2 years, though I can imagine some people not liking it. 

Having a dark sense of humour helps. I was laughing out loud at times, unusually for me. Obviously not for people who have a problem with a bit of violence and racist/bad language either.

It takes some doing to produce a film on such a dark subject (dealing with the brutal murder of your child), have people laughing out loud - and yet address some serious aspects of the issue (revenge, justice, finality of death etc.).

Also some brilliant acting going on when so many characters attracted sympathy despite their flaws, even Rockwell as the thuggish cop, not to mention Frances McDormand as the vengeful mother. Hilarious cameo by Officer Dixon's mother, too.

Some decent visuals and tunes, into the bargain.

I presume Oldman is in with a chance of the Best Actor Oscar, but "Three Billboards" is a much better film overall. I'd agree that Dunkirk deserves recognition - for visuals/sound/general atmosphere more than script or acting, I'd say.

I also saw 3 billboards yesterday on screen 12 at the Showcase ,excellent film but the bloke sitting next to me

was laughing at inappropriate places and spitting popcorn everywhere.

The only part that felt a bit clunky was how the suspect was shoehorned into the story line.

Best film I've seen since "Manchester by the sea"

If only I'd known I was in the presence of a legend!

2 minutes ago, notnow john said:

I also saw 3 billboards yesterday on screen 12 at the Showcase ,excellent film but the bloke sitting next to me

The only part that felt a bit clunky was how the suspect was shoehorned into the story line.

Sorry, I do get a bit over-excited eating popcorn sometimes.

Nah! I was at the Phoenix, seeing as I'm a member of the liberal elite and all

Yep, Manchester by the sea was one of the best of recent years, too - also Brooklyn.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Can I just break ranks with the Three Billboards fan club and say I thought Manchester by the sea was boring.

I can imagine someone finding it bottled-up or depressing, but boring?!

Ah, well, all about personal taste and opinions... 

10 minutes ago, MattP said:

Well looks like I need to watch Three billboards and Manchester by the Sea. 

Never heard of either. 

Casey Afleck gives one of the best acting performances I’ve seen in many a year in Manchester by the sea. Don’t listen to Webbo, it’s a work of art mate...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Casey Afleck gives one of the best acting performances I’ve seen in many a year in Manchester by the sea. Don’t listen to Webbo, it’s a work of art mate...

Terrible advice. :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

Terrible advice. :D

Got to agree. 

I was looking forward to seeing it & I have holidayed in the exact same place many times - so had a personal interest & genuinely wanted to like it.

I spent the entire film wondering when something interesting was going to happen & if the film was going to get started. 

Then it ended.

• Like 1

Just to echo what everyone is saying about Three Billboards. Definite film of the year. Mcdormand is just a great actress (that scene with the Catholic priest!) and the performance of his career from Rockwell. Can't understand however why Mcdonagh isn't up for best director. Just one of a few weird ones from the Oscar bods like why has Get Out got nominations (not a bad film by the way) and the brilliant Florida Project only got one nomination (deserved for Defoe).

Took the kids to see Jumanji yesterday. Different to the original but good fun. They really liked it and you can't go wrong with Jack Black imo. The Rock was good value taking the piss out of himself too. A decent enough family film I thought. 7/10

20 hours ago, notnow john said:

I was possibly in that screening laughing at some pretty inappropriate gags but I'm pretty sure they were supposed to be funny and I wasn't eating popcorn!! 

Really enjoyed it, was a lot slower than Bruges and Psychopaths but stronger in other ways. Was much darker and straighter than I was expecting. 

Thought Frances Mcdormand was ****ing brilliant to be honest but so was Woody Harrelson. Very understated and muted compared to some of his roles (especially his role in Psychopaths) but actually really emotional as well. 

Missus was in bits at his letter to his wife. Beautifully written. 

Hope it gets the love it deserves at the Oscars. 

• Like 3

Well I thought The Darkest Hour was outstanding. I didn’t want it to end and two hours flew by. 

I understand the comments about the Tube scene but I didn’t mind it at all. Gary Oldman must win an Oscar for that performance btw, I was totally engrossed throughout.

Guest seanfox778
23 hours ago, Wookie said:

Got round to watching The Big Lebowski after wanting to for a while, ridiculously brilliant.

Shut the f*** up, Wookie! You’re out of your element!