Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

3 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Hopefully there will be enough money in the budget for an overseas player, we need a solid batsmen where possible. Worth asking if we could split between an windies player for before the test series or an Shah from Afghanistan.

With the near £2M loan plus good income to come from the Westlife and Little Mix concents be very disappointed if we don't have an OS player.We Could sign a player from Pakistan or the WI for about 70k for the season maybe even less

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Northants have bagged Kieron Pollard for the T20s this year. They've got some good connections in the Caribbean what with having Holder for a bit recently too.

Wow  that guy dont come cheap should put a few bums on seats though I have to say he's a very overrated player 1 good game in 5 

22 hours ago, everton carr said:

They have given some info on the website Cake.An OS player for white ball cricket but not for Championship so the Wooden spoon again I'm afaird

So disappointing. I will read it fully but without being able to compete on the field everything else the club is trying to achieve is irrelevant. 

The current squad of players without further signings you just cant imagine anything other than defeat. Negative as that sounds. I fear the worst. 

An overseas batsman should have been a priority. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cake said:

So disappointing. I will read it fully but without being able to compete on the field everything else the club is trying to achieve is irrelevant. 

The current squad of players without further signings you just cant imagine anything other than defeat. Negative as that sounds. I fear the worst. 

An overseas batsman should have been a priority. 

Indeed hate the way they spin it with the we want to concentrate on bringing our own players though which of course sounds great  but with a County as small as Leicestershire and 3 other Counties within 30 miles we are never going to be able to do that and be competitive.I posted on Twitter a few months ago how usefulBrandon Glover  looks bowls at 88mph played for Holland in the recent World Cup qualifers and he's just signed a 3 year contract with Northants bet we never even looked at him.At least we have Harry Dearden signed up for another 3 years that 22 average could prove useful

Yep got Parky signed up also......

I bet the other counties were queuing around the block for that signing! 

I'd like to see Lilley given a proper run in the side I think he can play all forms. I'm convinced he would score more runs than Dearden given the same opportunities. Convinced. He is a good fielder and can bowl also. 

Sam Evan's needs a run also. No point given him a contract he never plays? 

Seamers could be ok? 

4 minutes ago, Cake said:

Yep got Parky signed up also......

I bet the other counties were queuing around the block for that signing! 

I'd like to see Lilley given a proper run in the side I think he can play all forms. I'm convinced he would score more runs than Dearden given the same opportunities. Convinced. He is a good fielder and can bowl also. 

Sam Evan's needs a run also. No point given him a contract he never plays? 

Seamers could be ok? 

Not  sure about the bowlers Chris Wright good steady bowler but will rarely run through sides Taylor looks very useful but always injured Davis same as Wright Klein not good enough Griffiths  not sure looked promising 2 years ago poor last season Ben Mike not ready yet can't sure us bowling sides out for less then 300 very often

I can see what your saying. I think they at least have potential, Taylor, Wright, Davies useful if fit. 

Griffiths still learning, Evan's looks useful and Mike has potential. Now that's not perfect but at least potential is there. 

I cant honestly even say we have much potential in the batting line up. None of our younger bats look exciting. 

So I think what I'm saying is the seam bowling is better than the batting. 

We are 2 or 3 players short in reality. I've no idea who will bat no.3 in championship cricket from our squad list, unless we are going Azad, Evans, Horton. Then it is Cosgrove, Ackers, Dearden, Hill. But we have no real all-rounder now either, so you have 4 bowlers and a bit of part-time spin from Ackers. Perhaps Dearden will move back up to 3, and then Lilley can play at 6 to offer more balance. 

With white ball we are one man down with Horton not contracted and Azad doesn't seem to be selected, Alec Evans at uni for some of the summer. A few injuries and they'll be struggling to get 11 first team players out. On the bright side... a good overseas batter, who can help us put up competitive scores, could make a massive difference. Just over 2 months to go now!

1 hour ago, MaidstoneFox said:

We are 2 or 3 players short in reality. I've no idea who will bat no.3 in championship cricket from our squad list, unless we are going Azad, Evans, Horton. Then it is Cosgrove, Ackers, Dearden, Hill. But we have no real all-rounder now either, so you have 4 bowlers and a bit of part-time spin from Ackers. Perhaps Dearden will move back up to 3, and then Lilley can play at 6 to offer more balance. 

With white ball we are one man down with Horton not contracted and Azad doesn't seem to be selected, Alec Evans at uni for some of the summer. A few injuries and they'll be struggling to get 11 first team players out. On the bright side... a good overseas batter, who can help us put up competitive scores, could make a massive difference. Just over 2 months to go now!

You have forgotten George Rhodes who I think will bat 6  overseas for white ball only by the look of it

Banging on about this but I reckon youd get someone like Campbell from the West Indies for about 1,500  a month. He wont be playing any where else so earning nothing. You could say I challenge you come and show them what you can do get in that test side! 

Realistically some of this guys will be playing club cricket if offered nothing else, Birmingham league, Lancashire league , Kent League I mean they pay guys a few hundred a game. 

We can do this come on. 

Edited by Cake
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Cake said:

Banging on about this but I reckon youd get someone like Campbell from the West Indies for about 1,500  a month. He wont be playing any where else so earning nothing. You could say I challenge you come and show them what you can do get in that test side! 

Realistically some of this guys will be playing club cricket if offered nothing else, Birmingham league, Lancashire league , Kent League I mean they pay guys a few hundred a game. 

We can do this come on. 

Get the impression with the new boss that they just want to save money simple as that.Like you say they could get an OS player from the WI or Pakistan very cheaply.

30 minutes ago, everton carr said:

All this talk of needing new batsman bowlers etc the signing we should make is the CEO from Northants £464k profit in the last year

Top job. I hope we sell plenty of season tickets. I know a few people who have season tickets this year that haven't been members for quite a few years. Hopefully that is a good sign. 

Considering getting some sort of corporate membership to 'entertain' insurance brokers there! Its probably a bit of a longshot and I doubt any brokers would be that interested; might be better off doing the Oval or Canterbury (I live in Kent)

If I do do Leics though, anyone got any advice on this? Is the corporate stuff good? Worth the money? Am I better off just buying some season tickets? Is the David Gower suite any good? etc.

1 hour ago, The People's Hero said:

Considering getting some sort of corporate membership to 'entertain' insurance brokers there! Its probably a bit of a longshot and I doubt any brokers would be that interested; might be better off doing the Oval or Canterbury (I live in Kent)

If I do do Leics though, anyone got any advice on this? Is the corporate stuff good? Worth the money? Am I better off just buying some season tickets? Is the David Gower suite any good? etc.

I get invited to and occasionally run these events. Leicester is not bad at all T20 nights on a par with Kent, maybe better. Food at Leicester certainly better.

Went to Canterbury twice last year to events and Leicestershire may be even a little better. 

Canterbury had outside caterers and only two beers both of which were shepherd neame. Myst be an aquired  taste? But a nice ground. 

The oval is a different league really. Costs may be 3 x as much. Food and drink are excellent. Just a different level.  

2 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

I did this a couple of seasons ago for a one day game. We got thrashed of course, but we all had a brilliant day, and tremendous value. The staff could not have been more helpful. Food is excellent and drink plentiful. We had a suite at the far end of the ground (ie opposite the pavilion), and it was excellent.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

I favour doing Grace Road as a Leicestershire supporter. Just struggling to work out whether insurance brokers will fancy it. I guess I just throw it open to Foxestalk if not!

If you were to choose a T20 vs Notts or Yorkshire you may get some interest, Durham, Derby etc not so appealing.

The food down there is very good and I can imagine they could do with your support!!

Another season of struggle ahead it seems... this feels like a cycle hard to break out of.

Wasim Khan spoke eloquently and seemed impressive as an individual but the club went nowhere at best or arguably slightly backwards under his tenure.

Any talent that comes through is quickly snapped up by bigger boys (usually Notts) and it’s impossible to entice them to stay.. The question for them is.. Would you like to stay at Leicester on a pittance wage, playing at a minor county ground in front of minimal crowds and have no aspirations of Trophies or International cricket or go to Notts and have the opposite in every way? Just impossible to compete with that. The ECB has happily presided over a haves and have nots scenario for decades and unless a fair compensation system comes in nothing will stop the big boys raping and pillaging the small counties.

I’m sure this has been done to death by many fans before but it’s hard to entice people through the gate if there’s no hope of anything.