Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

A bit random but I was thinking earlier about who my favourite overseas player I've seen at Grace Road was. Shahid Afridi was sensational for his spell, Brad Hodge for the T20 Cups- the one I wish we could've had longer was Michael Bevan- his stats were ridiculous for the time he was at the club but international commitments got in the way.

I'm probably a bit too young but I'm sure the impact Phil Simmons had was huge?

• Like 1

Derbyshire sign Sean Abbott as overseas player for next season.Counties seem to be signing players on a daily basis atm hope we at least try to compete also why are we one of the few clubs that haven't got membership tickets available yet don't make sense you would think the club would want the income Asap 

On 03/11/2019 at 23:04, Corky said:

A bit random but I was thinking earlier about who my favourite overseas player I've seen at Grace Road was. Shahid Afridi was sensational for his spell, Brad Hodge for the T20 Cups- the one I wish we could've had longer was Michael Bevan- his stats were ridiculous for the time he was at the club but international commitments got in the way.

Simmo was amazing, you’re right about Michael Bevan, he was as great and knew how to chase a score down perfectly, Kasper was a great professional, Hodge was class as well, Afridi was was so exciting and always a disappointment when he got out (especially at Lords in the final) 

Sehwag and Kumble disappointing. Sarwan lazy, Styris was fat.

Other one worth mentioning is Hanse Cronje he was a great professional. 

3 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Styris was fat.

Other one worth mentioning is Hanse Cronje he was a great professional. 

Got to know Styris a bit in recent years, great fella.

Cronje was related to Gordon Parsons, I think he married Hanse's sister. When I was at Radio Leicester in 1996, I went on the pre season South Africa tour to report and make a documentary. One night we all went to a BBQ at Cronje's parents' house. This was before his misdemeanours came to light. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

In my early years as a journalist covering the cricket, circa 90/91, there was an Aussie fast bowler, I think it was John Maguire, took loads of wickets for Leics.

Or am I wrong?

Your not wrong think he took around 70 maybe more but not at a great average about  32 I think bowled a massive amount of overs .With  the championship being cut to 12 games from 2021 can't see many bowlers getting anywhere near that amount in the future.

On 08/11/2019 at 06:17, everton carr said:

Your not wrong think he took around 70 maybe more but not at a great average about  32 I think bowled a massive amount of overs .With  the championship being cut to 12 games from 2021 can't see many bowlers getting anywhere near that amount in the future.

Is that definite about a 12 game championship? How will the division’s be set up? 

On 03/11/2019 at 23:04, Corky said:

Phil Simmons,was probably the best overseas signing, the county every had, good opening batsman or middle order, back up seamer, and great slip fielder, and big impact on the team.  

3 hours ago, Blueman1967 said:

Phil Simmons,was probably the best overseas signing, the county every had, good opening batsman or middle order, back up seamer, and great slip fielder, and big impact on the team.  

That Championship winning squad of 98 would of made a fantastic T20 side.

Simmons, Lewis, Wells, Maddy, Nixon, Smith, Mullally, Stevens plus Dakin, Ormond or Pierson, full of all rounders and great fielders! 

On 06/11/2019 at 23:42, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Got to know Styris a bit in recent years, great fella.

Cronje was related to Gordon Parsons, I think he married Hanse's sister. When I was at Radio Leicester in 1996, I went on the pre season South Africa tour to report and make a documentary. One night we all went to a BBQ at Cronje's parents' house. This was before his misdemeanours came to light. 

Think it was the other way round - Hansie married Parsin’s sister