Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

5 hours ago, everton carr said:

Sad news a legend of the club for over 30 years.Sadly know he's struggled with his health in recent years he could barely walk the last time I saw him

Yep. Really sad that. 

16 hours ago, Cake said:

Phil Simmons won two County championships says it all

Went for him on that basis. We had some decent players for sure in that era, but would we have achieved that feat without him? Remember being in awe as a kid.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, String fellow said:

Australian fast bowler Graham McKenzie made a huge contribution to County's golden era in the early 1970s, when they won the John Player Sunday League, the Benson and Hedges Cup and the County Championship.

I remember watching Andy Roberts play for Leicestershire away at Somerset. I was on holiday down there. Perhaps slightly passed his best by then by quite a sight. 

• Like 1

I'd have to go for the much underrated Paddy Clift, who played for the county for 12 seasons ( 1975-87) , taking 586 first-class wickets  at 23.90, also a very handy batsman with 2 centuries for the county, one the fastest ever( for the county) at the time, in just 50 minutes. He averaged over 20 with the bat, took 2 hat-tricks (only 1 of 3 county players to achieve that feat) & was very accurate in the one-day game. Sadly he passed away in 1996 suffering from bone cancer aged just 43. I spent many happy days watching him and the players of his era, from the age of about 8 years old.

• Like 4

Guest MattP
On 05/05/2020 at 21:46, Cake said:

Phil Simmons won two County championships says it all

9 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Went for him on that basis. We had some decent players for sure in that era, but would we have achieved that feat without him? Remember being in awe as a kid.

Big Phil is a legend but on the statistics I can't not vote for Davison. Incredible run machine, length of service with one county championship and four limited overs trophies.

Edited by MattP

Guest MattP

Just reading the Chronicle and it's got a small piece on the day we won the 1975 Championship - what Balderstone was doing was pretty outrageous.

Screenshot_20200507-132240_Gallery.jpg

22 hours ago, TOMMYG said:

I'd have to go for the much underrated Paddy Clift, who played for the county for 12 seasons ( 1975-87) , taking 586 first-class wickets  at 23.90, also a very handy batsman with 2 centuries for the county, one the fastest ever( for the county) at the time, in just 50 minutes. He averaged over 20 with the bat, took 2 hat-tricks (only 1 of 3 county players to achieve that feat) & was very accurate in the one-day game. Sadly he passed away in 1996 suffering from bone cancer aged just 43. I spent many happy days watching him and the players of his era, from the age of about 8 years old.

Back in the days of 3 day cricket when the opposition would toss the ball up to make a game of it.

Paddy was another lovely bloke, proper all rounder, sadly gone.

You know Paddy is a good call. He could bat bowl and a good fielder. 

Very young when he died. Really good player took an 8 for as i recall? 

Top bloke also. Very approachable 

Edited by Cake
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, String fellow said:

The other County players to achieve two hat-tricks were also all-rounders - Australian Vic Jackson and Jack Birkenshaw, who was part of that great side lead by Ray Illingworth. Happy days!  

That team had about 5 respectable spinners: Illy, Birky, JF Steele, Baldy and I think Paddy Clift could bowl spin as well as seam

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cake said:

You know Paddy is a good call. He could bat bowl and a good fielder. 

Very young when he died. Really good player took an 8 for as i recall? 

Top bloke also. Very approachable 

He did indeed take 8 for 17 in the first match of the 1976 season, when county as the reigning champions played the MCC. His victims included  Amiss, Brearley, Woolmer, David Steele & David Lloyd, all England players, 5 of the 8 were bowled, 3 LBW, which was testimony to how straight he used to bowl. Also took 8 for 26 against Warwickshire in 1984.

• Like 1