Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Let's hear it for Burley

How can it be Mandaric's plan?

He's in the States. The newspapers are to blame for all the speculation! It doesn't help that panicky clubs are issuing denials left right and centre, which in my opinion, only fans the flames.

It's not the newspapers all the time.

It's the manager's agents' telling the newspapers.

I think MM is never sure if he fuels fires, or extinguishes them.

(PS: Megson will get the job)

Burley would tick most boxes. both with the fans and Mandaric!!

The only questions are, is he ion Manadarics magic 6, and is Burley upfor another 'pushy' club owner overseeing his management duties!!!

Burley might get stuck on gardening leave whatever happens so don't hold your breath.

Mandaric isn't about to wait 6 months for another manager.

AGREEDI've always rated Burley. He just comes short of being a truelly first class manager, there are rumours of why that is. But i'll leave that out. He'd be perfect for us and is the sort of manager that Mandaric should be confident in letting them get on with managing the club their way, as long as it isn't to the detriment of the club (naming no names).

Coin.

Did someone shout Marcus Tudgay? ;)

Burley - I'd say no, think he lacks something to take us that step further - no doubt he could get us up, but don't think he'd keep us up there. Don't have anything to base it on, just a gut feeling that he gets stale at a club after a period of time.

There's no point in us going up to just come back down - unless you count the paracheute payments as a reason i guess. But team wise, i think that wouldn't do us much good. Hope I don't get shouted down like someone else, but I think Jewell would be the better choice - MM just has to work on him a bit.

Why the hell would Burley come to our circus if he doesn't like the internal politics at Southampton?

AGREED. I was calling for Burley before Allen got appointed. Didn't get much support on this site. However, I doubt he would join us if he doesn't like internal politics. And secondly why would he put his managerial record on the line to work with MM, who lets face it Thracian will never let ANY manager get on with it. He didn't at Pompey so he's not gonna start now. Unfortunately his attitude and arrogance elimnates many managers who would be willing to put their head on the line.

Burley - I'd say no, think he lacks something to take us that step further - no doubt he could get us up, but don't think he'd keep us up there. Don't have anything to base it on, just a gut feeling that he gets stale at a club after a period of time.

There's no point in us going up to just come back down - unless you count the paracheute payments as a reason i guess. But team wise, i think that wouldn't do us much good. Hope I don't get shouted down like someone else, but I think Jewell would be the better choice - MM just has to work on him a bit.

Getting us up will do for me. I'm sure Burley has been a longer serving manager at one club than what Jewell has?? GB record is good, not just in championship but in the prem aswell, and over a longer period than Jewell.

Getting us up will do for me. I'm sure Burley has been a longer serving manager at one club than what Jewell has?? GB record is good, not just in championship but in the prem aswell, and over a longer period than Jewell.

I'm not sure i agree with this, whilst Burley took ipswich into europe, his team were awful the following year. One good season in the Prem does not make him a good Prem manager. Jewell however has survived the drop 3 times making giving him four season, three sucesses.

From the BBC website:

Burley denies Saints exit rumours

Southampton manager George Burley has denied newspaper reports claiming he is about to quit the Championship club.

Reports suggested Burley had cleared his desk at St Mary's Stadium in readiness to leave, following his unhappiness with internal politics.

Burley told Saints' website: "The story is complete nonsense, I am very happy at the club.

"I am very surprised and upset by the article because my family and I are very settled at Southampton."

Burley was appointed at St Mary's in December 2005 and last season led Saints to the play-offs, where they lost out on penalties to eventual play-off final winners Derby.

Saints' relegation from the Premiership and subsequent loss of parachute payments has forced Burley to preside over the sale of some of the club's most promising youngsters.

Last year Saints sold Theo Walcott to Arsenal, and this summer Gareth Bale was sold to Tottenham and Chris Barid to Fulham, while striker Kenwyne Jones was sold to Sunderland for £6m before the recent transfer window closed.

This denial seems pretty conclusive to me.

Much as I and others may wish otherwise, Burley's not coming here... :(

Let's get McGhee in. He's a bit of a joker. We need a bit of a joker to lighten the mood.

He's a right joker. And a tw at. But not an awful manager as it goes and hey, who wouldn't love to see Steve Corica back here? We could have the original Skippy back too.

Oldfield

Corica

Henderson

Kisnorbo.

It'd be ace. Have I forgotten someone?

Oh yeah - Tiatto. Bring that fu cker back too.

Danny Invincibile. Is he Australian. Fu ck it, we'll have him anyway.

Let's get McGhee in. He's a bit of a joker. We need a bit of a joker to lighten the mood.

He's a right joker. And a tw at. But not an awful manager as it goes and hey, who wouldn't love to see Steve Corica back here? We could have the original Skippy back too.

Oldfield

Corica

Henderson

Kisnorbo.

It'd be ace. Have I forgotten someone?

Oh yeah - Tiatto. Bring that fu cker back too.

Danny Invincibile. Is he Australian. Fu ck it, we'll have him anyway.

He is actually, Italian Australian I think.

Burley wouldn't come here it would be like going back to the nightmare he had at hearts just in the championship not the SPL

But would it though? I've never once read any complaints from any previous manager about Milan Mandaric and his supposed meddling in team affairs. I know, he's probably got most of his ex managers tied up on confidentiality clauses but so do most chairman.

Burley certainly didn't keep his thoughts to himself after he left Hearts. He even went on record whilst he was manager that he'd had players bought that he didn't ask for and pressure was put on him to pick certain players. Rix also had the same happen to him at Hearts. Incidently, Rix was also manager at Portsmouth under Mandaric. I've read articles from Rix about what a nightmare Romanov was, but can't recall him ever being derogatory about Mandaric.

From the Fox Fanzine Forum

The band wagon gets arolling :D

Perc1 Posted on 7/9 15:22Email this Message | Edit | Reply New manager to be announced around next Tue New manager will be announced at a press conf next Tue or Wed. The person who will be named is Mr George Burley, who is likely to resign this weekend.

I am not a huge footy fan, but this is still good odds in the bookies and it is definately going to happen.

Perc1 Posted on 7/9 15:27Email this Message | Edit | Reply re: New manager to be announced around next Tue Wish it did.

Can't say how i know, but I do live in Ipswich

Some of the names that have been bandied about as our potential manager have frightened and depressed me.

This is the once proud Leicester City not some muckers from the footballing wilderness.

George Burley was mentioned as a popular candidate around the time of Levein's departure but Southampton got in first.

Seems now he might become available again so why not let Mandaric know that he should not only get the guy in but let him get on with the business of managing.

Burley's got loads of experience, good foreign contacts (as RicFlair says), works well with young players and commands repsect throughout the game.

This is an important time. We cannot afford another disaster. This will already be our fourth manager in under a year.

Let's send the message to Mandaric loud and clear.

Totally agree Thracian I hadn't really thought about it but I reckon he'd be excellent :thumbsup:

Archived