Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Yours would be?

Old Queens Head

Red Deer

Bath Hotel

Yeah those three, especially as they are very much city centre. There’s arguably better pubs but they’re out the way 

Just found out some scummy ***** have stolen the van my brother packed up with all our fathers possssions inside it while he stayed in a hotel before travelling home. little of any real value but obviously of tremendous sentimental value to us. ****ing horrible *****. as if it wasnt bad enough i had to miss the funerla because of ****ing covid, now these bastards have stolen memories i have from my childhood home. 

Anyway, leicestershire police arent being very helpful, despite my brother being former police. anyway, its a long shot but if you happen to have seen a White Ford Transit BT07 MTJ,  DM me, it was parked at Sketchley grange hotel Hinkley

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

23 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Took a friend out for dinner tonight for his birthday. Everyone at the pub bought him a shot, so he was feeling pretty fine lol

We ended up at this restaurant that specializes in Thai food, so I had Pad Thai for the first time. Was fantastic!

Which restaurant?

Walking dogs through a field of Aberdeen Angus cows with cows in this morning. The cows were around the usual footpath so walked away from the path to give them a wide berth, watching them and dogs weren't showing any interest in them. They were attentive and a couple of them started walking towards us so nothing out of the ordinary, they're inquisitive. Then I notice that the main group in behind all start running towards us, but even if they're running it doesn't mean they're being threatening and with an olive jacket I could pass as a farmer to these ****ing morons. I'd say they're probably 50-60m away and we had 175-200m to the Nobby so we ran, that seemed the natural reaction, being young and relatively quick meant I backed myself. Got there in time so will never know for sure if we were genuinely being charged

So afterwards I checked the advice, I knew that you should just let dogs run as they will outrun the cows, but the advice tells you to stand there and make yourself big, once the dogs are gone the cows won't see you as a threat. Now who the **** is playing a game of chicken with 20 or so half ton animals running at you. That'd take some cojones.

1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

Walking dogs through a field of Aberdeen Angus cows with cows in this morning. The cows were around the usual footpath so walked away from the path to give them a wide berth, watching them and dogs weren't showing any interest in them. They were attentive and a couple of them started walking towards us so nothing out of the ordinary, they're inquisitive. Then I notice that the main group in behind all start running towards us, but even if they're running it doesn't mean they're being threatening and with an olive jacket I could pass as a farmer to these ****ing morons. I'd say they're probably 50-60m away and we had 175-200m to the Nobby so we ran, that seemed the natural reaction, being young and relatively quick meant I backed myself. Got there in time so will never know for sure if we were genuinely being charged

So afterwards I checked the advice, I knew that you should just let dogs run as they will outrun the cows, but the advice tells you to stand there and make yourself big, once the dogs are gone the cows won't see you as a threat. Now who the **** is playing a game of chicken with 20 or so half ton animals running at you. That'd take some cojones.

Were they definitely cows and not bullocks? Bullocks can be almost as big as cows (as tall, a bit less hefty) but don't have udders. ;)

I just ask as I've walked across a lot of cattle fields over the years and have never had mature cows run at me, only stroll over occasionally - but groups of bullocks quite often approach at speed, having the greater nimbleness and curiosity of youth.

With the proviso that I don't know about dogs and cattle and have never been charged by mature cows, I can assure you that facing off approaching bullocks does work: move towards them, waving your arms and shouting & they'll run off.

I've been told that a similar approach works with mature bulls if they're getting aggressive - charge at them, waving your arms and shouting & it'll scare them.....but not had a chance to try that one & doubt I'd have the bollocks to do so. 

I've had to cross fields with mature bulls a couple of times, but adopted a cautious approach - skirting the field edge while the fvcker stared me out from a distance & once passed close to a bull that was blocking a canalside footpath by taking the steep incline next to the canal, figuring that if he got aggressive he wouldn't be nimble enough to attack me effectively on a steep slope.

I got charged by a very large feral goat this summer - a seriously big feller with enormous horns. I was walking a narrow bit of the Devon coastal path and met a bloke coming the other way, who said he was retreating as it was too windy.....I soon realised the real reason for his retreat when I turned a corner and saw this devil-animal charging down the hill. What I'd have done if he'd pursued his aggression, I'm not sure (steep ascent on one side of me, steep descent to sea on the other). But he veered off down the hill, clearly meaning it as a warning not to get close to his troupe of 20 goats & kids up the hill. To avoid backtracking several miles, I then ended up having to join this procession of 20 goats along the hillside path....not getting too close to any goat as the big feller joined the back of the procession and was walking along about 10-20m behind me......not a relaxing situation. :D

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Were they definitely cows and not bullocks? Bullocks can be almost as big as cows (as tall, a bit less hefty) but don't have udders. ;)

I just ask as I've walked across a lot of cattle fields over the years and have never had mature cows run at me, only stroll over occasionally - but groups of bullocks quite often approach at speed, having the greater nimbleness and curiosity of youth.

With the proviso that I don't know about dogs and cattle and have never been charged by mature cows, I can assure you that facing off approaching bullocks does work: move towards them, waving your arms and shouting & they'll run off.

I've been told that a similar approach works with mature bulls if they're getting aggressive - charge at them, waving your arms and shouting & it'll scare them.....but not had a chance to try that one & doubt I'd have the bollocks to do so. 

I've had to cross fields with mature bulls a couple of times, but adopted a cautious approach - skirting the field edge while the fvcker stared me out from a distance & once passed close to a bull that was blocking a canalside footpath by taking the steep incline next to the canal, figuring that if he got aggressive he wouldn't be nimble enough to attack me effectively on a steep slope.

I got charged by a very large feral goat this summer - a seriously big feller with enormous horns. I was walking a narrow bit of the Devon coastal path and met a bloke coming the other way, who said he was retreating as it was too windy.....I soon realised the real reason for his retreat when I turned a corner and saw this devil-animal charging down the hill. What I'd have done if he'd pursued his aggression, I'm not sure (steep ascent on one side of me, steep descent to sea on the other). But he veered off down the hill, clearly meaning it as a warning not to get close to his troupe of 20 goats & kids up the hill. To avoid backtracking several miles, I then ended up having to join this procession of 20 goats along the hillside path....not getting too close to any goat as the big feller joined the back of the procession and was walking along about 10-20m behind me......not a relaxing situation. :D

Oh yeah they were almost certainly bullocks. Interesting that you say it does work, as I say I recognise they can just be enthusiastic and curious but they're quite a hefty lump of enthusiasm that could hurt. Admittedly running probably only stokes their enthusiasm lol If I hadn't had the dogs I'd have spent some time with them at the edge of the field.

Definitely sod taking that approach with a mature bull though, that'd be mad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Spot on Alfred ..   more likely bullocks and they normally back off when confronted.    However ...  just recently someone was trampled up near Hoby ...   it was cows and they had calves ...  he/she had all her ribs broken, a broken sternum and a broken neck.    Pays to be careful and know what you are dealing with.

P.S.  I'm VERY careful if I see a ram ...  those ugly buggers can snap your leg like it was a twig ...   I've seen them knock the sh1t out of the front of a tractor ...   :)

4 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Spot on Alfred ..   more likely bullocks and they normally back off when confronted.    However ...  just recently someone was trampled up near Hoby ...   it was cows and they had calves ...  he/she had all her ribs broken, a broken sternum and a broken neck.    Pays to be careful and know what you are dealing with.

P.S.  I'm VERY careful if I see a ram ...  those ugly buggers can snap your leg like it was a twig ...   I've seen them knock the sh1t out of the front of a tractor ...   :)

Yes, I heard about a recent case with cows and wondered what had happened. With any animals, "stay away from their kids" seems to be the No. 1 rule......which my mate the feral goat was reminding me of! :D 

• Haha 1

I've had a couple of run ins with cows. Young cows are indeed Very curious and bored stiff.  They will walk or run towards anything that looks like fun, but they will almost always stop a few metres away as long as you are not running.  The danger is if they chase your dogs and you get trample in the meantime.

Cows with calves are a bit different, they will close in to try and see off the dogs, so you need to let the dogs go and send them away if you can.

If you find yourself in a one on one with a cow who has just dropped a calf on the footpath, shout and make yourself big and they will usually stop before they hit you.  Then circle around.  When I did this, I then found a teacher in the river at the edge of the field and a gaggle of schoolkids hiding behind a wall :)

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

I was walking through a field of cows last winter. I had to put on a jersey to stop my bullocks from fresian.

That's the country for you. 

16 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

You are just milking my story!

13 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

You and the udders,  to be fair. 

:D :appl:

4 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

and have never had mature cows run at me

You have clearly never been to Bubbles Nightclub in Hinckley circa 1986...

On a similar note to the cow/goat theme, I've been bitten on the cock by a stingray, so if anyone ever finds themselves in a situation where they think this may happen, feel free to give me a shout for some advice on how to prevent it. 

• Haha 2

On 06/10/2020 at 17:25, Milo said:

You have clearly never been to Bubbles Nightclub in Hinckley circa 1986...

On a similar note to the cow/goat theme, I've been bitten on the cock by a stingray, so if anyone ever finds themselves in a situation where they think this may happen, feel free to give me a shout for some advice on how to prevent it. 

Ok you win.

• Haha 1

On 09/10/2020 at 10:00, Jon the Hat said:

Ok you win.

Haha. I'd been out of the country for four months, and was coming home to propose to my then girlfriend. 

I rocked up with an impressive tan and what looked to all intents and purposes like a great big love bite across my manhood and groin...It was one of these ''You're not going to believe this, but..." conversations.    :shutup: