Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

On 27/08/2020 at 03:01, Jattdogg said:

Sorry to hear that mate. I can relate a bit.

In 2019 january i got engaged. A month or so later found out my employer was changing  things and as a result the team was going to be phased out in a few months. During this time my mum had been going through cancer screening and by September 2019  we found out she had incurable colon caner which had spread.  Doctors gave her 2 years. Luckily i found a job and then was married in summer of 2010. Mum passed away July 2011. The hardest part of my life was working knowing mum was dying slowly every day. I'm so greatful that she got to see me get married. Also, thankful  that i got to spend time with her for 22 months after her diagnosis. It was hard but we made the most of it and got through it together. I changed jobs after her funeral and within a year my wife was pregnant with our first.

Times can be downright tough for all of us at varying points in our lives. The wife was my crutch through it all and i'm absolutely  blessed to have such a wonderful woman in my life.  Be there for  your better half and the family etc. She appreciates it even if she doesnt say it. Sometimes  we have to pickup the slack when others are in crappy situations.  Things get better, i promise. I have two wonderful (pain in the arses) kids and i watched Leicester win the league, play in the champs league  and now europa. Life has it's peaks and valleys but bust out those skis and ride it!

I pray that your partners dad passes peacefully and that the family rebounds as best as they can. Keep your chin up!

Thanks I really appreciate it, I really do. It’s so hard watching them get weaker isn’t it. 

It is hard to see the wood from the trees at the moment. He passed away peacefully early yesterday morning, feeling quite numb at the moment. 

Just so gutted that we couldn’t get married before he passed. It would have been the one crumb of comfort in a shocking year. 

2 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

Thanks I really appreciate it, I really do. It’s so hard watching them get weaker isn’t it. 

It is hard to see the wood from the trees at the moment. He passed away peacefully early yesterday morning, feeling quite numb at the moment. 

Just so gutted that we couldn’t get married before he passed. It would have been the one crumb of comfort in a shocking year. 

Sorry for your families loss. At least he knew you were going to get married and i imagine the blessings were there.  Hope the family heals in due time.

14 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Had dinner tonight with my daughter's boyfriends parents, first time we've met them. Quite a pleasant night.

Hope you’ve got a few quid saved for the impending wedding mate :thumbup:

On 29/08/2020 at 23:14, Webbo said:

They're a bit better off than us. I hope they're not expecting anything posh.:(

Good to hear of some upward social mobility for the Webbo family.

Let's hope that your daughter doesn't disown you, once you've helped to fund her ascent to Lady of the Manor status. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a call yesterday from my sister, who i havent spoken to in over 10 years, telling me our dad died the previous night. Didnt really sink in at first. we werent close like most of me and my family, but we were the closest of all, spoke a couple of times a year on the phone. 

Feeling pretty sad about it, its all i have thought about since i heard. mainly of childhood memories and such. I'm 39 years old and this is the first person i have lost besides grandparents when i was a kid. kinda unsure how to feel, walking around in a daze. 

not looking forward to the funeral, (who does i know) or what comes after, since my sister, in the same breath as informing the news, went on to talk about the estate and whos exectuting the will. shes such a ****.

anyway im not posting because i want sympathy or attention, i needed to get my thoughts out and for me this is the best way to start. so thanks for reading it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Sorry to hear about your Dad, @Beliall

I think that most people find coming to terms with a major loss to be a gradual process over time - often with an element of shock at first, as your mind struggles to accept the reality of something so big having happened.

I think everyone has to go through that recognition and grieving process in their own way and their own time - I even found that I reacted very differently to my Dad's death, compared to my Mum's.

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow of whatever your reaction happens to be - and be true to yourself, not influenced by the perceived expectations of others.

I'm sure the thinking and remembering that you describe is part of your process of coming to terms with who your Dad was, what he meant in your life etc.

It's now 4 years and not far off 6 years since my pair went and it long since became a lot easier, though I still feel like it's an ongoing - but now often pleasant - journey, viewing again (sometimes differently) who they were and how I related to them.

I know funerals can be tense and stressful, but I found them to be a big, help in the process - feeling that I'd recognised my parents' importance and the significance of the moment. I even quite enjoyed the social bit afterwards, talking to extended family etc.

Might be best to just shrug off your sister's apparent focus on the estate. People react to shocks in all sorts of different, sometimes odd ways - and some people are just obsessed with money! I'd better stop there or you'll have me talking about my ex-wife's family (they persuaded her to try to screw more cash out of me after we'd finalised a divorce settlement)!

All the best on your journey - and it does get easier, in my experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Sorry to hear about your Dad, @Beliall

I think that most people find coming to terms with a major loss to be a gradual process over time - often with an element of shock at first, as your mind struggles to accept the reality of something so big having happened.

I think everyone has to go through that recognition and grieving process in their own way and their own time - I even found that I reacted very differently to my Dad's death, compared to my Mum's.

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow of whatever your reaction happens to be - and be true to yourself, not influenced by the perceived expectations of others.

I'm sure the thinking and remembering that you describe is part of your process of coming to terms with who your Dad was, what he meant in your life etc.

It's now 4 years and not far off 6 years since my pair went and it long since became a lot easier, though I still feel like it's an ongoing - but now often pleasant - journey, viewing again (sometimes differently) who they were and how I related to them.

I know funerals can be tense and stressful, but I found them to be a big, help in the process - feeling that I'd recognised my parents' importance and the significance of the moment. I even quite enjoyed the social bit afterwards, talking to extended family etc.

Might be best to just shrug off your sister's apparent focus on the estate. People react to shocks in all sorts of different, sometimes odd ways - and some people are just obsessed with money! I'd better stop there or you'll have me talking about my ex-wife's family (they persuaded her to try to screw more cash out of me after we'd finalised a divorce settlement)!

All the best on your journey - and it does get easier, in my experience. 

Thanks Alf, I appreciate the advice. Especially regarding my sister, will make it easier seeing her and being able to give her the benefit of the doubt, something i hadnt considered. So far i have found myself to just be very quiet. Im surprised actually, as i said, we didnt speak much and hes been out of my life more than in it, and my day to day isnt going to change one bit when all is said and done, but I cant, and probably shouldnt just shrug it off. It seems i only return home to leicester for funerals in recent years.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely bouncing for a Monday. Its ridiculous what a Leicester win does for my mood. I've been up since 6am. Sent quite a few emails. Set up my day. Drop the kids to school. Been to the gym and now about to have breakfast. The contrast in my routine during the end of last season had me barely out of bed by 8:10am. 

• Like 1

Bit anxious tbh. My best mate is having a triple heart bypass operation at Glenfield today and I've not heard from his wife yet if it was a success.

He's only 52 and had a heart attack a few days ago. Fit as a fiddle and it came out the blue. Fingers crossed he'll be O.K. but a bit of a worry.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Bit anxious tbh. My best mate is having a triple heart bypass operation at Glenfield today and I've not heard from his wife yet if it was a success.

He's only 52 and had a heart attack a few days ago. Fit as a fiddle and it came out the blue. Fingers crossed he'll be O.K. but a bit of a worry.

Got everything crossed for him :fc: Hope you hear soon x

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Izzy said:

No guarantees, of course, but heart bypasses are now very common operations with a high success rate, I believe.

My Dad first got angina at 48, had a double bypass at 63 (back in the 1980s) and lived to 91 with no further heart problems. My uncle had a triple bypass at 70-odd and lived to 90 before dying of something else....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Izzy said:

Literally just heard from his wife that he's awake and the op was successful which is a relief :)

Yeah I did some research and apparently the success rate is about 95% which sounds really high for such a complex procedure. Apparently they do 200,000 of these procedures in the USA every year!

Good to hear your Dad and Uncle had a good innings after their surgeries Alf so that's really encouraging. 

The miracles of modern medicine eh? Incredible really...

Happy to hear.

My dad had a 6 bypass (yes, 6!) When he was 37 and they gave him 20% chance survival. This was like in 92 or so. Still kicking and hope for a long time yet. His surgery was welll in excess of 8 hours. Remember seeing him with what seemed like 40 tubes going in/out his body. Was probably 5 but 40 sounds more manly. Lol

• Like 2

I’ve gone full toff willy puller and signed up to the pret pay monthly scheme. Up to 5 coffees a day every single day for £20 a month. Decided to get it as the tea and coffee facilities at work are out of action so makes sense to nip next door and get one. 

It’s a pretty good idea actually. They just send you a QR code monthly and you scan it in store. Surprised none of the other coffee chains have thought of something similar. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Manini said:

I’ve gone full toff willy puller and signed up to the pret pay monthly scheme. Up to 5 coffees a day every single day for £20 a month. Decided to get it as the tea and coffee facilities at work are out of action so makes sense to nip next door and get one. 

It’s a pretty good idea actually. They just send you a QR code monthly and you scan it in store. Surprised none of the other coffee chains have thought of something similar. 

A very good idea but shows how much they overcharge if you buy a coffee normally.

9 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

A very good idea but shows how much they overcharge if you buy a coffee normally.

I tried to work it out and based on their average price of a coffee you’d need to buy around 5 coffees a month to get your money back. So yeah, agreed. All high street coffee places are marking their drinks up massively to be fair though. 

4 hours ago, Manini said:

Good idea. Now you can get the girls on reception a coffee and they'll think you're a hero :thumbup:

:claudio:

• Like 1