Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Amusing News Stories

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Strokes said:

What do people think about BBC’s decision to air Enoch Powell’s rivers of blood for the first time, 50 years after it was made?

I get that it’s historical but I’m not sure it’s necessary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43745447

The BBC said: "This is a rigorous journalistic analysis of a historical political speech. It's not an endorsement of the controversial views and people should wait to hear the programme before they judge it."

I think that's how I feel.

(Not sure why it's in the Amusing News Stories thread though) :huh:

10 minutes ago, Buce said:

The BBC said: "This is a rigorous journalistic analysis of a historical political speech. It's not an endorsement of the controversial views and people should wait to hear the programme before they judge it."

Likewise. Presuming that it will be accompanied by some proper analysis and critical debate, I see no harm in it. It might even be a good thing. The development of a more racially-mixed Britain, integration v multiculturalism, racism, inequality & immigration certainly remain major issues anyway and shouldn't be swept under the carpet.

Some of Powell's rhetoric will probably seem OTT to anyone other than those who are already paranoid about immigrants - "the River Tiber foaming with blood", "the black man with the whip hand" etc. I cannot imagine many people tuning into R4, hearing the speech and debate and being converted to violent racism. Broadcasting the speech without comment or debate would have been more questionable.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

What do people think about BBC’s decision to air Enoch Powell’s rivers of blood for the first time, 50 years after it was made?

Never come across this speech before. Way before my time. Interesting, if uncomfortable read. 

Clearly, he went overboard with it, it's nowhere near the cataclysm that he makes it out to be, but the fact is, 50 years after he's said it, we still have problems with integration. It is uncomfortable, but it does need discussion imo. 

1 hour ago, Buce said:

lol

I though it was interesting news story, I should pay more attention. In my defence ??

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

I think it's disgraceful, typical right wing BBC bias.

• Haha 4

On 13/04/2018 at 08:20, Strokes said:

On 13/04/2018 at 08:56, Buce said:

On 13/04/2018 at 09:18, Alf Bentley said:

Likewise. Presuming that it will be accompanied by some proper analysis and critical debate, I see no harm in it. It might even be a good thing. The development of a more racially-mixed Britain, integration v multiculturalism, racism, inequality & immigration certainly remain major issues anyway and shouldn't be swept under the carpet.

Some of Powell's rhetoric will probably seem OTT to anyone other than those who are already paranoid about immigrants - "the River Tiber foaming with blood", "the black man with the whip hand" etc. I cannot imagine many people tuning into R4, hearing the speech and debate and being converted to violent racism. Broadcasting the speech without comment or debate would have been more questionable.

On 13/04/2018 at 09:24, Innovindil said:

Never come across this speech before. Way before my time. Interesting, if uncomfortable read. 

Clearly, he went overboard with it, it's nowhere near the cataclysm that he makes it out to be, but the fact is, 50 years after he's said it, we still have problems with integration. It is uncomfortable, but it does need discussion imo. 

Listened to it earlier. Very interesting production. Obviously it's a vile, racist speech. But on the other hand, it's an important part of our history from the last 50 years and MUST be studied, critiqued and thoroughly understood. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2018 at 02:23, urban.spaceman said:

Listened to it earlier. Very interesting production. Obviously it's a vile, racist speech. But on the other hand, it's an important part of our history from the last 50 years and MUST be studied, critiqued and thoroughly understood. 

Meh, it was just an early form of click bait.

3 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

lol By who?

Just some crowd watcher getting distracted and taking their eye off the car in front.

Just seems the camera was intently placed there and the reporter's reaction was something happened but she knew what it was.