Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Amusing News Stories

Just now, Buce said:

She was deaf - what she was expecting was that the organisers complied with the law.

The guy I referenced (not a friend) enjoyed being part of the atmosphere - I think the commentary was probably a bonus.

Apologies, got caught up in the other story, i'm aware she was deaf, not blind, but that doesn't change my point.

I guess to draw a parallel with the blind guy at the football it would be the equivalent of him expecting the club to belt out a running commentary over the tannoy.

Back to the concert, i believe what they offered was a very reasonable solution to her problem.

38 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

It IS mad though. Yes, disabled people should not have to miss out on the same experiences as able bodied people, but this is a stretch too far. I feel for the deaf women in this case, but a bit of common sense is needed in these situations. Its a show based entirely on the music and singing. Being deaf she would have known what she was getting herself into. As bad as it sounds - You live by your means.

I have a physical disability, it means i cant do certain things like ice skating. Would it be reasonable for me to demand that a professional ice skater is provided to give me a piggy back ride around the rink?

But if you bought a ticket on the understanding that a man would piggy back you round the rink and they didn't provide said man despite their legal obligation to then you would rightfully complain.

You could argue that the law is ott and shouldn't be a law, but it is and she has a right to complain.

5 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Apologies, got caught up in the other story, i'm aware she was deaf, not blind, but that doesn't change my point.

I guess to draw a parallel with the blind guy at the football it would be the equivalent of him expecting the club to belt out a running commentary over the tannoy.

Back to the concert, i believe what they offered was a very reasonable solution to her problem.

I think football clubs do (or did) provide a commentary for visually impaired fans. Certainly used to, and assume still do?

7 minutes ago, Captain... said:

But if you bought a ticket on the understanding that a man would piggy back you round the rink and they didn't provide said man despite their legal obligation to then you would rightfully complain.

You could argue that the law is ott and shouldn't be a law, but it is and she has a right to complain.

Who buys a concert ticket and just assumes there will be someone on stage signing the whole show? I'm guessing your implication is that the woman just assumed this would be the case?

Edited by TiffToff88

6 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

The law (and technology) has changed since the time at Filbo - it's entirely possible that under current disability legislation that headphones and a link to Foxes Radio would have to be provided on request. Interesting point that.

What you and I believe is irelevant - a tribunal will no doubt ascertain whether the organisers made a reasonable effort to abide by the law.

1 hour ago, TiffToff88 said:

Who buys a concert ticket and just assumes there will be someone on stage signing the whole show? I'm guessing your implication is that the woman just assumed this would be the case?

Seeing as she was deaf and has probably been to concerts before I would assume she knows the laws and what she is entitled to as part of her ticket purchase, in the same way a person in a wheelchair knows they will be provided with adequate space to watch the concert. If it wasn't the law she would have no case, it is the law and they were found to be lacking. If you have an issue with the law then that is another point. I personally wouldn't force all concert venues to provide a signing interpreter, but I would say  all venues over a certain size should, and everywhere should make it clear in their Ts&Cs if they have access to a signer and what someone needs to do to request one.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Milo said:

lol Fvcking social justice warriors strike again.

I'm upset that they say you're eligible if you "self define" as [x] where x = BAME, disabled, LGBT (but not QQICAPF2K+ which is highly patriarchal imo) and/or female and yet there's no room at the inn if you self-identify as an apache attack helicopter.

Also:

#justsocialjusticethings

David Batty wanted for abduction and believed to be living an alternative lifestyle on a commune in Morocco: https://news.sky.com/story/missing-boy-alex-batty-taken-to-live-alternative-life-grandmother-says-11248698

He obviously suffered more of a psychological impact from that 1998 penalty miss than we realised.

(Not amusing news for the abducted boy, of course, though it probably seems amusing to him at the moment) 

6 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

David Batty wanted for abduction and believed to be living an alternative lifestyle on a commune in Morocco: https://news.sky.com/story/missing-boy-alex-batty-taken-to-live-alternative-life-grandmother-says-11248698

He obviously suffered more of a psychological impact from that 1998 penalty miss than we realised.

(Not amusing news for the abducted boy, of course, though it probably seems amusing to him at the moment) 

He's gone completely Batty!

32 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Speaking of the real David Batty, apparently he has gone completely off the grid since retiring from football and is one of those players who has literally no interest in football aside from playing. After the infamous penalty miss in '98 the majority of the squad were in bits in the changing rooms and he was already suited up and ready to go without a care in the world.

He also skipped training once at Blackburn because there was an archaeological dig around the corner from the training ground which interested him more.

90s icon. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a bonkers world we now live in:  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-22/snap-royalty-kylie-jenner-erased-a-billion-dollars-in-one-tweet

"Shares of the Snapchat parent company sank 6.1 percent on Thursday, wiping out $1.3 billion in market value, on the heels of a tweet on Wednesday from Kylie Jenner, who said she doesn’t open the app anymore".

I've no idea who she is - one of these people famous for being famous, I believe? But, seriously, somebody sent a tweet saying she didn't like something any more and it cost a company $1.3bn?!? :blink:

53 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

What a bonkers world we now live in:  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-22/snap-royalty-kylie-jenner-erased-a-billion-dollars-in-one-tweet

"Shares of the Snapchat parent company sank 6.1 percent on Thursday, wiping out $1.3 billion in market value, on the heels of a tweet on Wednesday from Kylie Jenner, who said she doesn’t open the app anymore".

I've no idea who she is - one of these people famous for being famous, I believe? But, seriously, somebody sent a tweet saying she didn't like something any more and it cost a company $1.3bn?!? :blink:

Are you an alien?

1 minute ago, Steven said:

Are you an alien?

Don't think so. Maybe I just lead a very sheltered life. Is there anything interesting about this woman that means I should find out about her?

Anyway, it was the mind-blowing financial impact of her tweet that was more interesting. $1.3bn?!? That's serious influence.

5 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Don't think so. Maybe I just lead a very sheltered life. Is there anything interesting about this woman that means I should find out about her?

Anyway, it was the mind-blowing financial impact of her tweet that was more interesting. $1.3bn?!? That's serious influence.

The context is important; yes she is a influencer in the world of social media, but also the markets where I think ignoring the power of the customer / user base, and this was a wake up call.  Suddenly it seemed very clear that Snapchat have problems.   Also their shares are still higher than they where in September.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Just cause I like you, Alf, I've asked an authority on the subject to explain.

My daughter says that a couple of weeks ago Snapchat made a major change to the app which has seriously detracted from the experience of using it. They have resisted calls (a petition of over one million users) to roll back the changes. Now, this Jenner person is a very influential user of the app (she is apparently one of the Kardashians*), and the fact that she has tweeted that she is no longer using the app has led investors to panic in case her gullible followers follow suit.

*No? Me neither.

Edited by Buce
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

Just cause I like you, Alf, I've asked an authority on the subject to explain.

My daughter says that a couple of weeks ago Snapchat made a major change to the app which has seriously detracted from the experience of using it. They have resisted calls (a petition of over one million users) to roll back the changes. Now, this Jenner person is a very influential user of the app (she is apparently one the Kardashians*), and the fact that she has tweeted that she is no longer using the app has led investors to panic in case her gullible followers follow suit.

*No? Me neither.

Thanks. I now know that this woman is "known for having enhanced lips and an hourglass figure" and being "one of the Kardashians".

Have any of these Kardashians ever done anything of note, other than dying their hair, enhancing their lips and tits, getting their photos in the papers/on the web and thereby exerting enormous influence over consumers and the stock market?

I know that I'm an old git, but I remember the days when people were famous for doing something: scoring goals in the football, having hit records in the charts or whatever. 

Even then, I wasn't aware of George Best or Gary Glitter exerting great power over the stock market.....which may have been a good thing.

3 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Thanks. I now know that this woman is "known for having enhanced lips and an hourglass figure" and being "one of the Kardashians".

Have any of these Kardashians ever done anything of note, other than dying their hair, enhancing their lips and tits, getting their photos in the papers/on the web and thereby exerting enormous influence over consumers and the stock market?

I know that I'm an old git, but I remember the days when people were famous for doing something: scoring goals in the football, having hit records in the charts or whatever. 

Even then, I wasn't aware of George Best or Gary Glitter exerting great power over the stock market.....which may have been a good thing.

Sorry, mate - everything that I know about these wastes of space was learned in the last 20 minutes.

I will now attempt to expunge it from my memory and return to wistfully remembering a better time.

• Like 1