Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Just now, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

I loathe the use of the word, "like", when used in the wrong place. For example, " It was like really hot yesterday". Why the hell don't people understand their own language? :facepalm:

That's just like your opinion man.

• Like 2

Just now, Kopfkino said:

Went in that Cafe Nero on Friday, had a raspberry and white chocolate thing.

Oh god the pressure, I hope it was a positive experience after the train debacle lol  What time roughly?  I may even have served you... :o 

9 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Oh god the pressure, I hope it was a positive experience after the train debacle lol  What time roughly?  I may even have served you... :o 

It was all very delightful. I left the station and walked straight over there so roughly half one. I was a bit rude tbf cos I was on the phone. Really hate it when people are on the phone whilst ordering/at checkout. In fact I just hate people with phones. 

21 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

You work there, Carl? :D

42 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

It was all very delightful. I left the station and walked straight over there so roughly half one. I was a bit rude tbf cos I was on the phone. Really hate it when people are on the phone whilst ordering/at checkout. In fact I just hate people with phones. 

Oh thank god.  Phone wankers are the worst though, please don't do that in future.  And yeah I would've been around at that point - I'd have been the blonde English one with a short, crappy beard and the early signs of a beer gut.

30 minutes ago, Buce said:

You work there, Carl? :D

Michael-Bolton.gif

22 minutes ago, bovril said:

I go in that cafe nero a lot, worked just down the road from it for a while. Prefer zio Mario though.

Is there a code word we foxestalkers should use when potentially in each other's company? "Kermo was decent"?

Stfu.:angry:  Tbf I've not actually been in there even though I always walk past it on my way home (obviously I'm always coffeed out by then), I always think their food looks good though as I pass and I do keep meaning to give them a try... for market research purposes.

Honestly I'll sort out a free drink for anyone who asks my staff if they're flexible enough to get their head in the sand. lol 

9 minutes ago, The Blur said:

@Carl the Llama   come on man-  reply to @Kopfkino' and @bovril comments.  I want to know whether if you have served them.   The tense is geniue.  

Happy now?

2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Stfu.:angry:  Tbf I've not actually been in there even though I always walk past it on my way home (obviously I'm always coffeed out by then), I always think their food looks good though as I pass and I do keep meaning to give them a try... for market research purposes.

Honestly I'll sort out a free drink for anyone who asks my staff if they're flexible enough to get their head in the sand. lol 

The pastries are pretty good. And I liked it because they're one of the few places in England I've found that do a cafe lungo which is what I miss from Italy. Espresso is too small for what you pay in England and Americano too watery. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Oh thank god.  Phone wankers are the worst though, please don't do that in future.  And yeah I would've been around at that point - I'd have been the blonde English one with a short, crappy beard and the early signs of a beer gut.

Yeah I paid no attention. I'm pretty sure you didn't serve me. I was too busy exclaiming on the phone "why can't these bellends run a railway".

I'll even add "I can, you can't" if I ever pass through again" :thumbup:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

The pastries are pretty good. And I liked it because they're one of the few places in England I've found that do a cafe lungo which is what I miss from Italy. Espresso is too small for what you pay in England and Americano too watery. 

Mate I'm so glad you mention the pastries, it's sad but even though it's a small thing I take a lot of pride in making sure they're baked properly.  Some people used to settle for serving flat, depressing looking pieces of under-cooked dough, I am not about for that shit and I've made sure they aren't either... at least not when I'm on shift anyway.

Awkwardly I'm not sure what you mean about the lungo though lol Obviously I'm familiar with the term but we don't train staff on it and we don't actually sell it as a menu item, do you just ask the barista for a double espresso topped up with a bit of water or something?  Come to think of it there is a bloke who sometimes comes by and does just that...

1 minute ago, Kopfkino said:

Yeah I paid no attention. I'm pretty sure you didn't serve me. I was too busy exclaiming on the phone "why can't these bellends run a railway".

I'll even add "I can, you can't" if I ever pass through again" :thumbup:

That would be very very silly or absolutely stupid.  It would make my week :D 

7 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Mate I'm so glad you mention the pastries, it's sad but even though it's a small thing I take a lot of pride in making sure they're baked properly.  Some people used to settle for serving flat, depressing looking pieces of under-cooked dough, I am not about for that shit and I've made sure they aren't either... at least not when I'm on shift anyway.

Awkwardly I'm not sure what you mean about the lungo though lol Obviously I'm familiar with the term but we don't train staff on it and we don't actually sell it as a menu item, do you just ask the barista for a double espresso topped up with a bit of water or something?  Come to think of it there is a bloke who sometimes comes by and does just that...

I was talking about Zio Mario lol . In Italy if you ask for a lungo they'll just let a bit more water through, so it's just a slightly longer espresso. And it doesn't (and shouldn't) cost any more than an espresso. I've tried asking for it in the UK and just end up confusing people. It's like the Five Easy Pieces diner scene.

I can confirm the pastries in Nero are also very nice and the staff are more cheerful than most places in Cambridge. 

Edited by bovril

7 minutes ago, bovril said:

I was talking about Zio Mario lol . In Italy if you ask for a lungo they'll just let a bit more water through, so it's just a slightly longer espresso. And it doesn't (and shouldn't) cost any more than an espresso. I've tried asking for it in the UK and just end up confusing people. It's like the Five Easy Pieces diner scene.

I can confirm the pastries in Nero are also very nice and the staff are more cheerful than most places in Cambridge. 

Whoops :blush: Well I know what I'm ordering when I check them out now. lol  I gather it works like our ristretto/macchiato then where we offer it as a menu item but just process it through the till as an espresso.  We get a few people ask us to run the water through the handle a bit longer (usually Italians come to think of it) but honestly I'm more comfortable adding a dash of hot water because over-extracting the coffee makes the resulting drink more bitter, but I guess that's what you're going for.

As to your last sentence it's alright you don't have to protect my feelings :D 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Michael-Bolton.gif

Happy now?

If i lived in england i definitely would have stopped by to call one of your lovely staff (or even yourself) an ostrich. 

6 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Michael-Bolton.gif

Happy now?

6 hours ago, bovril said:

I go in that cafe nero a lot, worked just down the road from it for a while. Prefer zio Mario though.

Is there a code word we foxestalkers should use when potentially in each other's company? "Kermo was decent"?

Does Nero have the same concept as Starbucks with the name on the cup etc? 

If so, all FTers who go in should just call themselves "Kermogant" so they can be accorded the appropriate @Carl the Llama respect :schmike:

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Looks like it's time for a foxes talk meet up in Cambridge. At Cafe Nero, maybe. 

1 hour ago, bovril said:

I'm up for a Cambridge meet up when Leicester are on the tele. 

Sounds like the germ of a good idea. Just need a local-ish person to organise @Carl the Llama? @bovril?

I'd jump on a train for such a high-calibre LCFC/FT gathering.

If I spotted an argumentative young intellectual being removed from the station by the scruff of his neck, I'd know I'd got off at the right stop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Sounds like the germ of a good idea. Just need a local-ish person to organise @Carl the Llama? @bovril?

I'd jump on a train for such a high-calibre LCFC/FT gathering.

If I spotted an argumentative young intellectual being removed from the station by the scruff of his neck, I'd know I'd got off at the right stop.

I’d be up for it. 

And if we came across a geographically challenged camelid, we’d know it was the right coffee shop.