Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

18 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Yep

YES! Drives me insane, this. Also disappointing to see the official Channel 4 account getting involved with this sort of absolute buffoonery on here, too.

Of course, notwithstanding their embarrassing miss of the younger age teams, this type of talk it probably more likely to set those you want to capture into being behind the women's game against you than for you.

Baffling that this sort of thing has any kind of popular support, though I'll go out on a stereotyping whim and say any male or female agreeing with this doesn't like football.

One that pissed me off a few years ago was during a tennis tournament, one of the pundits was talking about the state of the men's game in the USA. A US male player was in the semi final and during that conversation it was stated he was the first American to reach that stage of a slam in x amount of years. This was met why cries of "What about Serena" etc. What about her? In a conversation clearly about the state of the men's game in the USA, the Serenas achievements are meaningless.

Amongst friends last night, introduced to a couple in their late 50s.

The guy, a Welsh dude, shakes my hand and does the "squeezing as hard as he can" thing.  

:nigel:

Why do people think this is OK?

I don't mind a firm handshake and I hate a "wet lettuce" handshake as much as the next man, but squeezing?

I quite regret not commenting on it, pulling my hand away and saying

"Woah, steady on with the squeezing there, it looks like your trying to prove a point, fellah".

Instead, like a chimp, I squeezed as hard as I could right back.  I'm an idiot.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vacamion said:

The guy, a Welsh dude, shakes my hand and does the "squeezing as hard as he can" thing.  

I don't mind a firm handshake and I hate a "wet lettuce" handshake as much as the next man, but squeezing?

"Woah, steady on with the squeezing there, it looks like your trying to prove a point, fellah".

Tend to agree but I work with some blokes who are just absolute UNITS and can break a man with a handshake.

12 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Did you at least compare your gherkin sizes to see who is more manly?

18 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

Ps I sort of understand why fans slate drinkwater but imagine if it were you. He felt he had earnt the right to move up. Let him do it. Move on

I don't hate the guy, just think it was a daft move. They already had Kante, and Fabregas and has just signed Bakayako. What did he think was going to happen? Fine have confidence in yourself, but be realistic too. In a world cup year as well. Stupid, stupid decision. Get game time, get yourself to Russia. Look how short of midfielders we ended up being.

this episode of 8 out of 10 cats i’ve just stumbled on after love island. all women? women just ain’t funny, it’s fu cking bad enough having a token woman who isn’t funny let alone 7 of them. i’m out. 

• Like 1

Guest MattP
19 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

this episode of 8 out of 10 cats i’ve just stumbled on after love island. all women? women just ain’t funny, it’s fu cking bad enough having a token woman who isn’t funny let alone 7 of them. i’m out. 

Get used to it, this is the new normal now. 

24 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

Sisters are doin' it for themselves

Standing on their own two feet

And ringin' on their own bells

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier

11 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

I gave it 10 minutes as Katherine Ryan is normally funny. I didn't laugh once.

18 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Perhaps this should be posted in the Unpopular opinions thread...but maybe, just maybe, humour is subjective?

nah there was literally nothing funny about the 2 minutes i watched 

1 minute ago, ScouseFox said:

nah there was literally nothing funny about the 2 minutes i watched 

yeah-well-thats-just-like-your-opinion-m

TBH I haven't seen it and I've no idea if I'd find it funny or not either but I'd leave the definitive unqualified statements for shit like physics rather than if something is humorous. Much easier all round really.

And to keep it relevant, stating opinion as fact does grind my gears.

• Like 1

Just gone a bit mad at reading this line about England's World Cup campaign on a thread in another forum...

They did a little kind of Leicester and succeeded on the back of below par performances by others not their own brilliance.

Wound me right up. I know it shouldn't, but it did.