Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

33 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Hugh Dennis is the only redeeming feature on Mock the Week, he’s genuinely witty and doesn’t resort to low hanging political jokes like most of the nobodies on there. Andy Parsons has the charisma of a scratching post but postures like he’s delivering the zenith of comedy with every single line he says.

Is Parsons still on there? Thought him, Howard and Boyle had gone and it was essentially Hugh Dennis and Dara O'briain plus five guests now

8 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Is Parsons still on there? Thought him, Howard and Boyle had gone and it was essentially Hugh Dennis and Dara O'briain plus five guests now

Yeah Parsons hasn't been on there for a few years I think. 

9 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Christ Russell Howard, I remember him. The bloke who just did a ridiculous voice as the punchline to every joke he had.

And somehow got a stand-up show about the news on BBC three off it... Favourite channel as a teenager but God it was mostly garbage looking back

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

And somehow got a stand-up show about the news on BBC three off it... Favourite channel as a teenager but God it was mostly garbage looking back

It had the Mighty Boosh, which was pretty boss

But also, Two Pints of Lager and a Packaet of Crisps, if I recall correctly (which I shamefully watched quite a lot of :()

Mock the Week is a plague on comedy tbh. 

Hugh Dennis, Frankie Boyle and Russell Howard are three of the least funny people to ever make it big. 

The sad part is that the like of Dara O Briain, Ed Byrne and several other regular guests are actually genuinely clever, funny people when elsewhere but appearing on that set generally turns you in to an unfunny tit for an hour. 

It's what happens when you make a competition out of being funny, you end up with a bunch of tossers forcing it in a desperate bid to be the most laughed at. They're all just doing pre written skits from their stand up and none of it is really spontaneous or natural. 

It's the television comedy equivalent of the LCFC / Transfer Talk section of FT where absolute ****ing mouth breathers spam the same two jokes and shit puns on a loop desperate for rep points. Ie, every urban spaceman post. 

"Has anyone seen this video of Maddison HAHAHA" 

"EL OH EL WES MORGAN" 

God damn shitposts everywhere. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

Guest seanfox778

I liked that Canadian guy they used to have on Mock the Week, Stewart Francis. He was always so cool how he delivered his one-liners.

Local journalism, the last bastion of 'free speech' and holding local authorities to account, which is essentially as in the clickbait gutter as the national titles.

Specifically the Leicester Mercury and their willful misrepresentation on Facebook of an article they wrote yesterday. The article was actually quite balanced, but the whole premise of the FB headline was to whip people into a frenzy, bear-baiting style. It's very frustrating.

(Yes, it's been going on for years, but this article in question just pushed me over the edge into the GmG thread!)

Edited by Footballwipe
Addition of "holding local authorities to account" originally missed.
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, seanfox778 said:

I liked that Canadian guy they used to have on Mock the Week, Stewart Francis. He was always so cool how he delivered his one-liners.

I found Stewart Francis kinda funny the first time I saw him, which was about fifteen years ago doing Montreal Comedy Festival on Comedy Central. 

Problem is, he's still doing the same material now. 

Guest seanfox778
2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I found Stewart Francis kinda funny the first time I saw him, which was about fifteen years ago doing Montreal Comedy Festival on Comedy Central. 

Problem is, he's still doing the same material now. 

Oh really? That’s a shame. I haven’t seen anything with him on for about 10 years, that’s probably why lol

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

It's the television comedy equivalent of the LCFC / Transfer Talk section of FT where absolute ****ing mouth breathers spam the same two jokes and shit puns on a loop desperate for rep points. Ie, every urban spaceman post. 

"EL OH EL WES MORGAN" 

Calm down mate, sounds like you need your seventh medical - watch out for Rudkin's fax machine though!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Mock the Week is a plague on comedy tbh. 

Hugh Dennis, Frankie Boyle and Russell Howard are three of the least funny people to ever make it big. 

The sad part is that the like of Dara O Briain, Ed Byrne and several other regular guests are actually genuinely clever, funny people when elsewhere but appearing on that set generally turns you in to an unfunny tit for an hour. 

It's what happens when you make a competition out of being funny, you end up with a bunch of tossers forcing it in a desperate bid to be the most laughed at. They're all just doing pre written skits from their stand up and none of it is really spontaneous or natural. 

"EL OH EL WES MORGAN" 

:whistle:

1519286247_Screenshot_2018-07-19Leaderboard-FoxesTalk(1).thumb.png.ef1086491bf99efc911b7a5d246fccea.png

6 minutes ago, Buce said:

:whistle:

1519286247_Screenshot_2018-07-19Leaderboard-FoxesTalk(1).thumb.png.ef1086491bf99efc911b7a5d246fccea.png

I can't help it if I'm so effortlessly appealing. 

In all seriousness, I've said it before and I'll say it again, rep/karma/likes grind my gears. I've never liked the idea at all. 

It encourages shitposting. The state of it on reddit is bad enough, never really needed it here. 

The only positive is it does cut down a bit on people quoting a massive post just to say "I agree" which I think was Mark's motivation originally but Christ it encourages some muppets. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

In all seriousness, I've said it before and I'll say it again, rep/karma/likes grind my gears. I've never liked the idea at all. 

It encourages shitposting. The state of it on reddit is bad enough, never really needed it here. 

The only positive is it does cut down a bit on people quoting a massive post just to say "I agree" which I think was Mark's motivation originally but Christ it encourages some muppets. 

I wonder if having a negative rep button would help?

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Do I have to search for that argument we had about Vardy when you bragged how many reps you were geting?

I do agree somewhat about rep points, but we all love that little ego boost.

as for shit puns. This forum is meant to be fun, if people enjoy that ,so what? There's nothing you can learn off here that you can't Google for yourself.

16 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Do I have to search for that argument we had about Vardy when you bragged how many reps you were geting?

as for shit puns. This forum is meant to be fun, if people enjoy that ,so what? There's nothing you can learn off here that you can't Google for yourself.

If you want to bring up that argument again, link it in here and make yourself look silly all over then go for it. The point I was making then (I remember the exact post, to spare you the effort) was that I could happily go on all day and that the vast majority of people were agreeing. 

Neither you nor I were shitposting, though, we were having a genuine discussion because we disagreed with each other, we weren't posting for the actual sakes of getting up votes. 

I've maintained since it was implemented and I maintain now that I don't like the reputation situation, you won't find me saying otherwise because I never have.

And you're right, the forum is meant to be fun. Reading eight pages of ****ing awful puns isn't fun. It's crap, unfunny, lowest common denominator, moron level humour you should be ****ing ashamed of. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

I think it just depends on what you like.  We have a pedantry thread and crazies posting puns or nonsense in the transfer forum.  I can't write proper english sentences (except when i am at work) and my puns are hit or miss. I'm screwed! Lol  

Some posters are more serious about football talk only backed up by hard core facts others just have opinions and make them known (garbage or not).

There is something for everyone  and the block feature is wonderful.

I love reading what all of you have to say but am limited in good/quality responses at times as i've got kids to watch/teach/help and other adult things to do such as working, cooking, masterbating,  house work etc. I tend to browse in between things i do throughout the day. Its like a crack addiction for me. Having said that i don't ever post hoping for a  like or reputation point. Thats just sad lol.

18 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Problem is that people don't want to take the effort to find out that everything is mostly empty space and/or we're in the middle of an extinction event so sometimes they need to be told. :whistle: