Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Just now, bovril said:

Yes. My gran called me Jamie (she was slightly mad tbf) and I hated it for the same reasons. My girlfriend sometimes uses it to wind me up. 

Fook me ...   Jamies popping up everywhere !! ...    :)

Sounds fine to me ...    James sounds more ‘pompous tw@‘t ....    :)

1 minute ago, Buce said:

But it sounds nothing like Bovril - I don’t see how she could be that confused

Well ...   if we’re all coming clean ...   my real name is ...   you’ve guessed it ...  Bovril ! ...   and people call me beef extract to wind me up ...   :(

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

I once shared a sauna with Feargal Sharkey. 

True story. 

Impressive. Did he hold you, hold you tight and get teenage kicks right through the night?

I knew his cousin (not the perfect one) and she was best mates with Ian Paisley's niece. Also a true story.

(Perfect Cousin probably doesn't even refer to Feargal's cousin, as I don't think he ever wrote any of the Undertones' songs)

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

Impressive. Did he hold you, hold you tight and get teenage kicks right through the night?

I knew his cousin (not the perfect one) and she was best mates with Ian Paisley's niece. Also a true story.

(Perfect Cousin probably doesn't even refer to Feargal's cousin, as I don't think he ever wrote any of the Undertones' songs)

And it just gets better

You really never know what you're going to get when you log on to FT

42 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I love it when people don’t like their nicknames. I used to work with a guy called Lee Colby and we called him dairylea and he hated it. Made my day seeing him get annoyed so much.

I love a good nickname, I've got loads, Facecloth being one. But Jamie isn't a nickname, it's completely different name to James in its own right.

11 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

11 minutes ago, Milo said:

I'm finding this way more impressive than I ought to :D 

The funny thing was that I didn’t recognise him at the time, even though he was at the height of his fame and I’d seen him in concert twice. It was just so out of context, I guess. 

A better story was meeting Rat Scabies in the Old Horse on London Rd. He was in Leicester for a court appearance the following day (he’d kicked off in LFE service station on the way back from a gig) and he approached our group to ask if we knew where he could get some drugs. It just so happened we were hooked up with some LSD for the evening, so we let him have a couple of trips. He hung out with us the rest of the evening but we got seperated when he started turning over tables and fighting in the Globe. I have no idea what happened after that or if he even made it to the Magistrates. The guy was a complete nutter. 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

The funny thing was that I didn’t recognise him at the time, even though he was at the height of his fame and I’d seen him in concert twice. It was just so out of context, I guess. 

A better story was meeting Rat Scabies in the Old Horse on London Rd. He was in Leicester for a court appearance the following day (he’d kicked off in LFE service station on the way back from a gig) and he approached our group to ask if we knew where he could get some drugs. It just so happened we were hooked up with some LSD for the evening, so we let him have a couple of trips. He hung out with us the rest of the evening but we got seperated when he started turning over tables and fighting in the Globe. I have no idea what happened after that or if he even made it to the Magistrates. The guy was a complete nutter. 

Brilliant.

I once ripped up a load of Bob Dylan doodles and asked him to leave the bar I was working in.

(I had no idea who he was and he was drawing on lots of napkins* - dressed in a hoodie and looked a bit creepy)

* days before ebay, unfortunately 

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Milo said:

Brilliant.

I once ripped up a load of Bob Dylan doodles and asked him to leave the bar I was working in.

(I had no idea who he was and he was drawing on lots of napkins* - dressed in a hoodie and looked a bit creepy)

* days before ebay, unfortunately 

Dylan has a history of wandering incognito in strange places. I remember he was arrested wandering around near Springsteen's old house and had been seen anonymously visiting the childhood homes of several other musicians of interest.

Here you go....

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/dylan-searching-home-springsteen-penned-born-run/story?id=8335824

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

I love it when people don’t like their nicknames. I used to work with a guy called Lee Colby and we called him dairylea and he hated it. Made my day seeing him get annoyed so much.

My brother used to work with a bloke who looked like Gerry Adams and he didn’t like his nickname “ Shinny”

57 minutes ago, Buce said:

Well i’ll Be Damned.

3 hours ago, Facecloth said:

People who call me Jamie.

My name is James. I can accept Jim, Jimbo, Jimmy, they are all common short version of James, but Jamie is whole name in itself, and it's not my name. For some reason it winds me up. It's the same as calling a Marie, Maria or Mary, or Hannah, Anna. 

Jimbopal it is from now on.

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Can't make a post like that on here and not expect to be called Jamie in future now @Facecloth :D

Do you really think some people will be calling Jamie Jamie ? ...   well I for one will not be calling Jamie Jamie ...   that just wouldn’t be very nice ...   no, for now I will call Jamie Jimbob not Jamie ....   :thumbup:

Afternoon Jimbob. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Facecloth said:

People who call me Jamie.

My name is James. I can accept Jim, Jimbo, Jimmy, they are all common short version of James, but Jamie is whole name in itself, and it's not my name. For some reason it winds me up. It's the same as calling a Marie, Maria or Mary, or Hannah, Anna. 

Dude im with you 100% on this, my name is also James,, I introduce myself as James. but im Jim, always Jim, by everyone. i hate the nickname.