Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

People that don't understand air conditioning or thermostats. If it's cold, don't set it to 30 degrees to balance it out, just set it to the temperature you want. 

Really not difficult.

Its always those same people who then complain about it being too hot.

• Like 1

Animal torture for human enjoyment.

Jockey Aiden OâBrien on The CliffsofMoher is assisted by a race steward after the horse was injured during race 7.

The running of the Melbourne Cup has again been marred after one of the 2018 entries in the race, The Cliffsofmoher, was euthanised at Flemington Racecourse – the sixth horse to suffer that fate since 2013.

Edited by ozleicester

23 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

People that don't understand air conditioning or thermostats. If it's cold, don't set it to 30 degrees to balance it out, just set it to the temperature you want. 

Really not difficult.

The people that do it the other way round are the bane of summer. 

It's warm, so I'm gonna set it to 15 or some shit and then argue with everyone that says they're cold. 

Like, I'm a warm person, I always want the aircon on, but these pricks have got to go. 

Why do normally intelligent, sensible people just become complete morons when aircon is involved? 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The people that do it the other way round are the bane of summer. 

It's warm, so I'm gonna set it to 15 or some shit and then argue with everyone that says they're cold. 

Like, I'm a warm person, I always want the aircon on, but these pricks have got to go. 

Why do normally intelligent, sensible people just become complete morons when aircon is involved? 

Wear a jumper dickhead!! :P

• Haha 1

Someone’s dad: Not a huge football fan, from somewhere miles away from the club they nominally support.

”MY DAD SUPPORTS MAN U, WHO ELSE AM I MEANT TO SUPPORT???? YOU CAN’T CHANGE YOUR TEAM. I’VE BEEN TO OLD TRAFFORD, I’M NOT A PLASTIC!!!!”

6 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

British 1-2-3.  Seems fatalities are way worse in Australia.

159 Horse racing deaths in the UK in 2017 (one death about every two days)

119 Horse racing deaths in Aust in 17/18  (one every three days) .....killed on track for a number of reasons most commonly for catastrophic front limb injury (56)

1700+  KILLED in the UK in 11 years.  But the owners love them :rolleyes: and wannabe hipsters and trendy knob ends get to get pissed and fall over in expensive clothes, so, thats ok.

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

119 Horse racing deaths in Aust in 17/18  (one every three days) .....killed on track for a number of reasons most commonly for catastrophic front limb injury (56)

1700+  KILLED in the UK in 11 years.  But the owners love them :rolleyes: and wannabe hipsters and trendy knob ends get to get pissed and fall over in expensive clothes, so, thats ok.

That's not really the demographic of horse racing here to be honest.

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

We should ban horse racing tbh. We'd have some proper quality Tesco lasagna in short order. 

3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

The owners do love them, just because they race them doesn't change that. Just have a look at them when they lose a horse (vast majority lose a fortune as well on these magnificent beasts)

The racing is exactly WHY we love them, I still sometimes well up watching Kauto Star's fifth King George or when he came back at the Gold Cup to beat Denman. This are incredible sporting moments.

If you don't get it that's fine but at least try to understand.

11 hours ago, MattP said:

The absolute obsession some have now with seeing a bad situation or being critical of absolutely anything.

As if the Guardian just mansplained to women what they should find attractive, this dude needs to check his male privilege.

• Haha 1

I've been meaning to have a whinge and get a parent's perspective on this for a couple of weeks now. I was at Harvester having dinner on a Friday night and for the first time I've really noticed kids and young teenagers just sitting there on a tablet with headphones in.

There were at least two kids who were eating their dinner, over-ear headphones on and watching TV on their tablet with no interaction with their family at all. Another couple were sitting on their tablets playing games. Why do parents do this? Why do they put up with it? What really is the point in going out for a family meal, paying ££ when your family time is just you and your wife looking at each other whilst the kids watch TV?

I genuinely don't get it, please help me! Is it cause they're quiet? Is it because I'm just a non parent and don't understand? Am I just an old man and this is the way things are? If your kids are going to do that why not just stay at home?

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

I've been meaning to have a whinge and get a parent's perspective on this for a couple of weeks now. I was at Harvester having dinner on a Friday night and for the first time I've really noticed kids and young teenagers just sitting there on a tablet with headphones in.

There were at least two kids who were eating their dinner, over-ear headphones on and watching TV on their tablet with no interaction with their family at all. Another couple were sitting on their tablets playing games. Why do parents do this? Why do they put up with it? What really is the point in going out for a family meal, paying ££ when your family time is just you and your wife looking at each other whilst the kids watch TV?

I genuinely don't get it, please help me! Is it cause they're quiet? Is it because I'm just a non parent and don't understand? Am I just an old man and this is the way things are? If your kids are going to do that why not just stay at home?

I am that parent, sadly :(

The wife and I find ourselves constantly in competition against the kids devices for their attention these days. It's completely our (my) fault as we've let them persuade us to have these gadgets because their friends have them, and we don't want them to be the ones without and therefore picked on. It's a terrible case of succumbing to peer pressure if I'm honest.

Gadgets at home can be a good thing sometimes as they do entertain the kids and allow us to get on with stuff, but the problem is when we're all out together as you've mentioned above. I'm not sure we'd let them have headphones in while eating though - that's taking it too far IMO but it is difficult to stop them looking/playing on their devices when we're sat down eating.

We took the kids to a bonfire night display last week and I watched as my 12 year old daughter walked over to three friends and within 30 seconds they were all stood in a line looking at their phones and not talking to each other for about 5 minutes. 

It's even worse when we take the kids to grandparents as they just sit there like zombies glued to a screen when the poor grandparents are desperate to engage in some sort of conversation with them.

I don't know what the answer is and it feels like a cop out to say "that's just the way it is these days" but it seems like that's just the way it is these days :rolleyes:

If we took the devices off them and made them talk to us instead it would just cause more problems as they'd rebel and be awkward. It's lazy parenting and I'm totally guilty, so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears..

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I am that parent, sadly :(

The wife and I find ourselves constantly in competition against the kids devices for their attention these days. It's completely our (my) fault as we've let them persuade us to have these gadgets because their friends have them, and we don't want them to be the ones without and therefore picked on. It's a terrible case of succumbing to peer pressure if I'm honest.

Gadgets at home can be a good thing sometimes as they do entertain the kids and allow us to get on with stuff, but the problem is when we're all out together as you've mentioned above. I'm not sure we'd let them have headphones in while eating though - that's taking it too far IMO but it is difficult to stop them looking/playing on their devices when we're sat down eating.

We took the kids to a bonfire night display last week and I watched as my 12 year old daughter walked over to three friends and within 30 seconds they were all stood in a line looking at their phones and not talking to each other for about 5 minutes. 

It's even worse when we take the kids to grandparents as they just sit there like zombies glued to a screen when the poor grandparents are desperate to engage in some sort of conversation with them.

I don't know what the answer is and it feels like a cop out to say "that's just the way it is these days" but it seems like that's just the way it is these days :rolleyes:

If we took the devices off them and made them talk to us instead it would just cause more problems as they'd rebel and be awkward. It's lazy parenting and I'm totally guilty, so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears..

leave the tablets at home mate. we're in the same boat, they all have gadgets,, but they have never been allowed to take them outside. 

• Like 1