Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Staff swearing in a conversation to another member whilst customers are present in their business.

Heard one say "f*****g" three times in a space of around a minute.

Edited by Wymsey

31 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Staff swearing in a conversation to another member whilst customers are present in their business.

Yeah I had a meal over the weekend and the guy behind the bar was just swearing non stop, not a good look.

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

According to the highly-literate Stephen Fry, the sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or a lack of verbal interest is just a ****ing lunatic. If you say so, Stephen.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Kopic said:

Car insurance renewal again. Quoted more than last year, phoned them up and they said "oh we can apply this discount and knock 50 quid off." Why not just give me that quote instead.

The good/bad news (depending how you slice the cake) is that this will end from January I think. 

Supposed to offer same price at a minimum from then. For home/vehicle insurance anyways. 

8 hours ago, StanSP said:

How Naomi Osaka is being/has been treated. 

What happened to 'Be Kind'? Someone claims their mental health is suffering and she's been fined by the organisation for not doing press conferences. Yet the reason she stops doing them is to protect her mental health. 

I was listening to a tennis journalist on the radio and media conferences are mandatory, apparently, so failure to attend will receive punishment.

I'm sure this may be reviewed in future.

12 minutes ago, Corky said:

I was listening to a tennis journalist on the radio and media conferences are mandatory, apparently, so failure to attend will receive punishment.

I wonder if the players' sponsors also insist/write it into their contracts that they must do press conferences?

9 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I wonder if the players' sponsors also insist/write it into their contracts that they must do press conferences?

Think they have do, yes.

Wonder if Sir Alex Ferguson got fined for refusing to conduct interviews with the BBC?

9 hours ago, StanSP said:

How Naomi Osaka is being/has been treated. 

What happened to 'Be Kind'? Someone claims their mental health is suffering and she's been fined by the organisation for not doing press conferences. Yet the reason she stops doing them is to protect her mental health. 

1 hour ago, Corky said:

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

They could maybe have found a compromise and got her coach to do the interviews?

Really feel for the woman, so much abuse flung her way. Hope she gets better and finds peace.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

It would be deemed exposure wouldnt it? More tv time, more time with sponsorsed gear on, more promotion for the tournament with soundbites from the players, etc.

At the risk of jumping on the anti journalism rhetoric around here at times, a lot of this issue could be fixed if journalist didnt ask such crap leading questions post match.

13 hours ago, Kopic said:

Car insurance renewal again. Quoted more than last year, phoned them up and they said "oh we can apply this discount and knock 50 quid off." Why not just give me that quote instead.

Hoping you just accept the renewal as its a ball ache to switch providers.

I wasn't happy with my renewal and I called them saying esure quoted me much cheaper. (True)

They just offered me "X" amount instead (where and how do they come up with these numbers?????)

13 hours ago, Corky said:

Not only that but a big issue of contention is the work that Billie Jean King put into b front women's tennis to the fore - lots of that centered around doing as much media as possible. I think there's a weight off expectation through that too. 

13 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

They could maybe have found a compromise and got her coach to do the interviews?

Really feel for the woman, so much abuse flung her way. Hope she gets better and finds peace.

I think tennis is a particularly lonely place for a player. Unlike most other sports, the tennis player is usually "alone" on court. No team mates. no manager or coaching team. Very little interaction with anyone, even their opponent, during a two or three hour match. They are totally alone with their thoughts. So whilst they obvioulsy have to front up for media duties, I think it could be handled a bit more delicately in some situations. Maybe a coach could step in if required.

5 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

I think tennis is a particularly lonely place for a player. Unlike most other sports, the tennis player is usually "alone" on court. No team mates. no manager or coaching team. Very little interaction with anyone, even their opponent, during a two or three hour match. They are totally alone with their thoughts. So whilst they obvioulsy have to front up for media duties, I think it could be handled a bit more delicately in some situations. Maybe a coach could step in if required.

Isn't this also the case with other solo sports? Imagine being a snooker player, especially one not getting much table-time, confronted by a partisan crowd cheering their opponent's every shot. That must be a pretty lonely place to be. At least in tennis, you're involved in the match throughout, to occupy your thoughts.

Edited by String fellow

12 minutes ago, Xen said:

Companies seeking to profit off of Pride month and their unashamedly tokenistic gestures. Case in point; Hornby releasing a new pride-themed wagon to 'support' the LGBTQ+ community but then coming out with this clarification:

So, really, it's purely to capitalise on and take advantage of pride month in order to spin a profit. Literally nothing to do with this is going to benefit LGBTQ+ people/charities in any way whatsoever. 

'Pink-washing' is already annoying when companies do the bare minimum, but it's even more infuriating when it's entirely self serving like in this case.

Yeah, that second Tweet is pure pandering to the homophobes ("But not too gay, ok?"). Cowards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Companies seeking to profit off of Pride month and their unashamedly tokenistic gestures. Case in point; Hornby releasing a new pride-themed wagon to 'support' the LGBTQ+ community but then coming out with this clarification:

So, really, it's purely to capitalise on and take advantage of pride month in order to spin a profit. Literally nothing to do with this is going to benefit LGBTQ+ people/charities in any way whatsoever. 

'Pink-washing' is already annoying when companies do the bare minimum, but it's even more infuriating when it's entirely self serving like in this case.

Does it not promote awareness, and also associate pride month with an established brand? Does money need to change hands for anything promoting pride month to be worthwhile?

3 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

Does it not promote awareness, and also associate pride month with an established brand? Does money need to change hands for anything promoting pride month to be worthwhile?

I would submit that material aid for those marginalised folks that need it is much more worthwhile than token "thoughts and prayers".

That's not the same as saying that raising awareness is not worthwhile at all, though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

Firstly, in this particular case they are actively profiting off of Pride month whilst giving nothing back. If you swapped the rainbow for a poppy for remembrance day, but they kept 100% of the profits rather than donate anything towards Help for Heroes (or similar charities) then there would be uproar, so why should that not apply for other similar situations.

Secondly, in general, what good does 'awareness' do - particularly when nothing from this post highlights anything which could be done to help. There's nothing to be gained from this whatsoever - no highlighting of struggles that LGBTQ+ people face, no airtime given to relevant charities, not even a self-congratulatory 'this is what we do to make things better'. It's purely using the rainbow flag to advertise and sell a product.

Besides, people are already 'aware' of LGBTQ+. That's not in question. 

I'd be less aggrieved by it if they literally did nothing, rather than actively try to profit for themselves off the back of something like this.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Xen said:

I'd be less aggrieved by it if they literally did nothing, rather than actively try to profit for themselves off the back of something like this.

Ok, @leicsmac doesn’t like what Hornby did either but disagrees with you on the part I quoted - I guess it’s hard for companies trying to do their bit to get it right. And yes, I think that’s what they’re doing - their bit. I doubt they’ll make much on these anyway, and probably could have produced a short run of something else they would have made more profit on.  

But screw em, eh? Cash or don’t bother. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Hornby goods wagons usually have some hint as to what exactly they're meant to be transporting, in which case this particular bit of marketing could be deemed offensive, to put it mildly.